Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:23 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Couldn't care less to be honest. They don't want to do it any more than you want them to do it. The shop orders them to do it and if they want to keep their job they don't have a choice. If there's nothing to hide, there's no harm is dropping one handle of a bag and letting them peer in as you walk past. If I know I have to go to one of the shops that does it frequently, I do them first so I'm not having to open loads of bags.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:26 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Couldn't care less to be honest. They don't want to do it any more than you want them to do it. The shop orders them to do it and if they want to keep their job they don't have a choice. If there's nothing to hide, there's no harm is dropping one handle of a bag and letting them peer in as you walk past. If I know I have to go to one of the shops that does it frequently, I do them first so I'm not having to open loads of bags.
They asked to look inside my 'Shoplifter-2000 Fake Hollow Empathy' Belly last week. Cheeky bastards! Good job they asked to see inside when I was on my way into the store and not on the way out....
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

They're allowed to look but not put their hand in to rummage around. My OH always gets his drink marked on the way into Target & the like. I don't like it much but it's habit to show it now and I've got nothing to hide. If I was inclined to steal it would be from Tiffany's not Target!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:44 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess my style of shopping means I don't get searched much. I've been asked 4 times in the last 5 years so it doesn't bother me.

If you get searched a lot then why not put a huge dildo in your bag.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 6:52 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass
They're allowed to look but not put their hand in to rummage around. My OH always gets his drink marked on the way into Target & the like. I don't like it much but it's habit to show it now and I've got nothing to hide. If I was inclined to steal it would be from Tiffany's not Target!
If you shop at target tiffany's would spot you a mile off & youd get caught in your spandex trackies
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:10 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Some tips:

1) Place a battery operated 12" throbbing dong in your bag and when checked, give the bag searcher a knowing wink, while pointing towards your botty.
2) Put a sherry trifle underneath a copy of Bindi the Jungle Girl DVD on which you've scribbled out an old price tag.
3) Make an L.E.D. sign that says "Who the **** you calling a crim?" and place it in a green Woolies bag.
4) Before the assistant can ask you, walk up to her purposefully and say, "I notice you're just near the entrance to the shop, would you open your bag for me please."
5) On successfully passing a bag check, clumsily let several CD cases fall out of your jacket, hurriedly pick them and walk very briskly towards the exit.
6) As you approach the shop exit, hold your hand over your mouth and make gagging noises as if you are about to vomit. See if the assistant still wants to search your bag.
7) If you're a bloke, pat your crotch and ask the assistant if they'd like to search your ball bag too.
8) Buy a series of bags that fit inside each other (Russian doll style) and in the last bag, place a fake dog turd with an Australian flag cocktail stick wedged into it.
9) Look the assistant in the eye and say, "You're the descendent of criminals love, not me."
10) Employ the services of a bag carrier to walk 20 paces behind you and you'll never be searched again.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
If you shop at target tiffany's would spot you a mile off & youd get caught in your spandex trackies

Hello Luke, You speaking to me again then? Hope you are well.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

No. 9.........

PMSL........ I gotta remember that one
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 7:57 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Luke, You speaking to me again then? Hope you are well.
As a matter of fact, I just took you off ignore... It's your lucky day
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I guess my style of shopping means I don't get searched much. I've been asked 4 times in the last 5 years so it doesn't bother me.
The only place I get asked occasionally is KMart.

Originally Posted by moneypen20

I agree. I reckon that a little humour and a little charm can lessen the burden of it too - in your favour - invariably the person waves you on.

They never look properly anyhow and as you say, just swinging the bag in their direction does the trick.

I cannot understand why people make such a mountain out of a molehill.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
I am always surprised when I see people opening their personal bags and letting a security person in a shop look inside (without even being asked).

I have now been asked on two different occasions to open my bag and let them nosey in and they seem surprised when I say no. The first time the woman said "well the next time you come in you might not be served at the checkout". I had to laugh...if I was a shoplifter I wouldn't be wanting to be served at the checkout!

How very dare they! and why on earth do the Ozzies put up with this???
I know I'll sound like a "whinging pom" this is one of my bug bears too. I hate it and think it an invasion of privacy.

You can refuse and there is not a lot they can do under the law even if they do display a sign informing you of the policy.

https://mybrc.com.au/Money-Legal/Leg...king_Bags.aspx

I often refuse depending what mood I am in, especially in Kmart as there is nothing worth nicking in there anyway. They don't try to enforce it normally, just give you a filthy look.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie

I can understand why they do it but there are so many loopholes that I feel it's all a bit nuts really. I could easily ram my bag full of stolen goods and then pass through the checkouts and buy a 50c lollipop for my kid and nobody would bat an eyelid at me.

Thats exactly it. If you go through the checkout, apparently you havent stolen anything. If the systems so cutting edge then why was I never caught as a teenager??? Because I never put stolen goods in my bag!!!!!! Yes I was a degenerate - nothings changed.

Please dont anyone lecture me it was a long time ago!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:28 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
I am always surprised when I see people opening their personal bags and letting a security person in a shop look inside (without even being asked).

I have now been asked on two different occasions to open my bag and let them nosey in and they seem surprised when I say no. The first time the woman said "well the next time you come in you might not be served at the checkout". I had to laugh...if I was a shoplifter I wouldn't be wanting to be served at the checkout!

How very dare they! and why on earth do the Ozzies put up with this???
They can ask you to open your bag but are not allowed to move anything or ask you to move anything. You can refuse, but the store is under no obligation to allow you to enter if you do.
That reminds me of when my OH and I were looking for my engagement ring. We were in Tiffany in Toronto and I tried on a ring which was a little too small. My finger started to swell and the more I tried to get it off the more my finger swelled. My husband was having a little panic attack since the ring I tried on was a 3ct solitaire. We got it off eventually with me soaking my hand in ice water and lots of hand lotion. I never did get the Tiffany ring.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
As a matter of fact, I just took you off ignore... It's your lucky day

Thank you, I could do with something nice for a change
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Thats exactly it. If you go through the checkout, apparently you havent stolen anything. If the systems so cutting edge then why was I never caught as a teenager??? Because I never put stolen goods in my bag!!!!!! Yes I was a degenerate - nothings changed.

Please dont anyone lecture me it was a long time ago!
They are still supposed to check any bags when you pass through the checkouts. In fact in our local Kmart I get asked more at the checkout than I do if I've not bought anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.