Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Internet / Computer Nerds - please help !!

Wikiposts

Internet / Computer Nerds - please help !!

Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:34 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Internet / Computer Nerds - please help !!

Hey guys,

I bought a wireless router last year and my laptop is set up etc but now I want to share the broadband with my 2 housemates. I cant find the network key or whatever it is called anywhere, can I find this information somewhere on my computer ?

Thanks guys

PS: My english skills suck today.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:44 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet / Computer Nerds - please help !!

Originally Posted by rubbeldiekatz
Hey guys,

I bought a wireless router last year and my laptop is set up etc but now I want to share the broadband with my 2 housemates. I cant find the network key or whatever it is called anywhere, can I find this information somewhere on my computer ?

Thanks guys

What is it, a Netgear?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:45 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys,

Thanks guys

Refer to your router (row-ter) manual for help on accessing your router configuration. Normally, it's accessed via a web-browser on a local address such as 192.168.1.1 (or similar). You can view / setup the key (WEP/WAP etc) here but you must also ensure that any other wireless devices (such as the ones in the laptops / desktops that want to connect to the local network - a.k.a. wireless connection) are configured to use the appropriate encryption method and key. These can normally be configured via the wireless connectivity icon that sits (if enabled to show) in the task bar in the bottom right of the screen (if XP or Vista).
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:46 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Not unless you specifically saved it in a text file somewhere...? Otherwise login to the web interface of the router and change the key under wireless settings... If you've forgotten/lost that password as well then go to the manufacturers website and look at the documentation for your particular model. It will tell you how to perform a hard reset and reload the factory default settings. Then you can have the thrill of setting everything up from scratch again... But this time write the password and key down somewhere...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:51 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Not unless you specifically saved it in a text file somewhere...? Otherwise login to the web interface of the router and change the key under wireless settings... If you've forgotten/lost that password as well then go to the manufacturers website and look at the documentation for your particular model. It will tell you how to perform a hard reset and reload the factory default settings. Then you can have the thrill of setting everything up from scratch again... But this time write the password and key down somewhere...
If it's the encryption key then it can normally be found in the configuration details for the router.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:52 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
What is it, a Netgear?
Yup
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:54 pm
Melbourne Rock City

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Refer to your router (row-ter) manual for help on accessing your router configuration. Normally, it's accessed via a web-browser on a local address such as 192.168.1.1 (or similar). You can view / setup the key (WEP/WAP etc) here but you must also ensure that any other wireless devices (such as the ones in the laptops / desktops that want to connect to the local network - a.k.a. wireless connection) are configured to use the appropriate encryption method and key. These can normally be configured via the wireless connectivity icon that sits (if enabled to show) in the task bar in the bottom right of the screen (if XP or Vista).
Ok Ill give it a shot....thanks for your help guys.

Sounds pretty difficult haha.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:55 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Yup
http://www.routerlogin.net/ username: admin password: password
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:56 pm
Melbourne Rock City

Oh and another thing, I used to be with telstra and now back with them so I guess I dont have to configure the router / modem again ?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 5:21 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
...Otherwise login to the web interface of the router and change the key under wireless settings...
Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
If it's the encryption key then it can normally be found in the configuration details for the router.
I guess I need to make myself clearer, sorry...