British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Insolvencies: MFI and Woolworths (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/insolvencies-mfi-woolworths-575375/)

Looking forward to Oz Nov 26th 2008 6:08 pm

Insolvencies: MFI and Woolworths

OMG.

The world is falling apart!! MFI and Woolworths going into administration, whatever next?? Soon HMRC will be citing insolvency troubles...! Lets hope DIAC doesn't crumble!

:eek:

Twinset Nov 26th 2008 8:42 pm

Re: Insolvencies: MFI and Woolworths

Nah,

DIAC is better run - they take a load of money from foreigners and sit on it for years........the interest they make on it will ensure their survival for years...:D

Woolies normally have a sorry tale to tell at this time every year, and MFI have been struggling for years.....remember they were sold for a quid?

Twinset

Jaycee1 Nov 26th 2008 8:56 pm

A mum from school works at Woollies and won't have a job.
How awful just before christmas :(
J x

ABCDiamond Nov 26th 2008 9:42 pm

Just to be clear, Woolworths UK and Woolworths Australia have NO connection whatsoever.

Amazulu Nov 26th 2008 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Looking forward to Oz (Post 7012759)
OMG.

The world is falling apart!! MFI and Woolworths going into administration, whatever next??

In a downturn only the best, financially viable companies survive. Another company will buy up Woolworths and it will carry on in some shape or form.

IvanM Nov 26th 2008 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 7013622)
In a downturn only the best, financially viable companies survive. Another company will buy up Woolworths and it will carry on in some shape or form.

In the current debt averse environment that will happen to those companies not carrying too much debt. From what I understand the Woolworths part of the chain has become unviable. Other parts maybe flogged off. As we can see with B&B, ALLCo and ABC here is that the banks often just want what cash they can get rather than waiting for a buyer.

Right now cash is king and that means fighting for your failed competitors customers rather than risking more debt and buying up the opposition.

Another example is BHPs decision not to takeover Rio and Rio's debts. Even perfectly profitable companies like where I work are cutting back to preserve cash.

Jaycee1 Nov 27th 2008 6:02 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 7013606)
Just to be clear, Woolworths UK and Woolworths Australia have NO connection whatsoever.

That is very strange - you would think they are connected.
J x

moneypenny20 Nov 27th 2008 6:11 am

OMG.

The world is falling apart!! MFI and Woolworths going into administration, whatever next?? Soon HMRC will be citing insolvency troubles...! Lets hope DIAC doesn't crumble!

In the case of MFI, I guess there's a limit to the amount of crap people will buy.

MarkMC Nov 27th 2008 6:59 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 7014556)
In the case of MFI, I guess there's a limit to the amount of crap people will buy.

In the case of both companies.....:ohmy:

BadgeIsBack Nov 27th 2008 7:07 am

OMG.

I recall in my childhood that Woolies were a good store up there with the best of em. In later years they seemed a bit Pikey for some reason.

Toe Dipper Nov 27th 2008 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 7014556)

I am sure that MFI was a really good company, it was the missing screws and damaged edges that let it all collapse.........:rofl::rofl:

Looking forward to Oz Nov 27th 2008 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Toe Dipper (Post 7015660)
I am sure that MFI was a really good company, it was the missing screws and damaged edges that let it all collapse.........:rofl::rofl:

Very funny Mr Dipper! I like your humour. :rofl:

rowdy Nov 27th 2008 7:06 pm

I agree it is very sad see people made redundant. But Woolies was a shop that sold absoultely nothing of value whatsoever!

m08l0k Nov 27th 2008 8:34 pm

It would appear that Dixons/Currys is on the brink as well.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...t_Under_%A330m

IvanM Nov 27th 2008 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by m08l0k (Post 7016809)
It would appear that Dixons/Currys is on the brink as well.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...t_Under_%A330m

Another company selling over priced goods with poor service. They never really figured out how to use the web to sell until it was too late.