Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

"Innit" or "like", whats more annoying

Wikiposts

"Innit" or "like", whats more annoying

Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default "Innit" or "like", whats more annoying

Given I have spent some time in both countries (Blighty and Aus) this year it occured to me that young girls on my train in both countries are loud and annoying (just like I was when I a young boy, I was loud and annoying, so cant complain there)

In the UK on the train, you would here girls (and boys) ask questions and also make general statements with the word "INNIT" being bolted onto every sentence.

Over here however the girls (as my train seems to carry 80% school girls) start most sentences with

"Oh my god".......

And then, probably six times in each sentence add the word "LIKE".

For instance.

OH my god, did you "like" see Steven on the platform, I'M "like", he is so hot, and he is "like" really funny.....

So I put to you, whats more annoying for you?

I would like to say "Innit" cos its dumb and stupid but "like" gets my goat cos it reminds me of that twa* Paris Hilton who appears sadly to be a role model for young people.

And before any of you feel the need to tell me to lighten up or worry about something more problematic in the world, this thread was meant in a light hearted way....

What do the Canadian and American school kids say in their sentences as part of their cultural makeup? I am guessing "like" is probably quite a used word as Australians tend to follow whats happening in the US dont they.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:38 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Innit" or "like", whats more annoying

Originally Posted by Sherro

What do the Canadian and American school kids say in their sentences as part of their cultural makeup? I am guessing "like" is probably quite a used word as Australians tend to follow whats happening in the US dont they.
Australia is little America (USA) init?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon innit is more annoying, especially when delivered in a Jafaikan accent.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I reckon innit is more annoying, especially when delivered in a Jafaikan accent.
Disagree- at least it's very specific to a region - or was....

Like is used by millions of Australian and American surbanites who should all be neutered. Having said that, you hope they will grow out of it.

I remember it being used in a very hippy way in the early 90s by students who weren't as articulate as they should have been and for them it was a valuable placeholder.

But Hilton et al have taken it to another level.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:28 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Both equally want to make me slap the person for being so false in either an Ali G or US Teen trash sort of way
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:30 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Can I add the Australian use of the your "Look" to many sentences to the list?
Old Sep 13th 2009, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

nephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the roughnephilim is a jewel in the rough

I dont find either annoying,whatever bugs me the most.z
Old Sep 13th 2009, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Sherro
Given I have spent some time in both countries (Blighty and Aus) this year it occured to me that young girls on my train in both countries are loud and annoying (just like I was when I a young boy, I was loud and annoying, so cant complain there)

In the UK on the train, you would here girls (and boys) ask questions and also make general statements with the word "INNIT" being bolted onto every sentence.

Over here however the girls (as my train seems to carry 80% school girls) start most sentences with

"Oh my god".......

And then, probably six times in each sentence add the word "LIKE".

For instance.

OH my god, did you "like" see Steven on the platform, I'M "like", he is so hot, and he is "like" really funny.....

So I put to you, whats more annoying for you?

I would like to say "Innit" cos its dumb and stupid but "like" gets my goat cos it reminds me of that twa* Paris Hilton who appears sadly to be a role model for young people.

And before any of you feel the need to tell me to lighten up or worry about something more problematic in the world, this thread was meant in a light hearted way....

To me, it's "like". Makes me fume internally after the fourth or fifth use! :curse: Sooo American... I'm not fond of "innit", but it's more of an English colloquialism to me...
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:01 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
To me, it's "like". Makes me fume internally after the fourth or fifth use! :curse: Sooo American... I'm not fond of "innit", but it's more of an English colloquialism to me...
definately the use of 'like'
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
Agree,it has to be Like,by a country mile,not much caring for Americanisms in the language.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Teens are nowhere as annoying as aussie adults and their yeah no ??? what is with that, yeah no
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:09 pm

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Agree,it has to be Like,by a country mile,not much caring for Americanisms in the language.
On the same token, it really annoys people when the use of Scottish slang is slipped into conversation on here. Most of the time it is an unintentional habit.
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
On the same token, it really annoys people when the use of Scottish slang is slipped into conversation on here. Most of the time it is an unintentional habit.
Aye, sleekit mare like...
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by kporte
Aye, sleekit mare like...
Would you be interested in partaking in a severe 'banjoing'
Old Sep 13th 2009, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, nah, both as annoying as, ay...........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.