Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

inlaws and out laws whats the longest theyve stayed!?

inlaws and out laws whats the longest theyve stayed!?

Old Jan 4th 2014, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: inlaws and out laws whats the longest theyve stayed!?

Two weeks is longest I have ever had a visitor for.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

pome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of lightpome bstrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GreenMan72
Not sure if you guys gave heard this joke, but what is the difference between inlaws and outlaws?

Outlaws are wanted...
love it greeny ... love it lol
Old Jan 5th 2014, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

LauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant future

Brother-in-law and girlfriend came out for 3 weeks. Was not a good experience. We made the big mistake of telling them to treat the house as their own. Don't speak to them any more.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:06 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraV
Brother-in-law and girlfriend came out for 3 weeks. Was not a good experience. We made the big mistake of telling them to treat the house as their own. Don't speak to them any more.
Come on spill the beans, its been ages since we had a 'visitors from hell' thread.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Longest family visit I've had was 3 hours. I love my family but they truly fricking suck.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

LauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant futureLauraV has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
Come on spill the beans, its been ages since we had a 'visitors from hell' thread.
All I will say is that I will never be as inconsiderate a house guest as they were. I'll make sure I don't take advantage of anyone's hospitality.

Trouble is, they had such a great time with us and wanted to come back again the next year Not in my lifetime they wont.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Longest family visit I've had was 3 hours. I love my family but they truly fricking suck.
Ha ha Penny, wish I could have got rid of those suckers as fast as that!
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha Penny, wish I could have got rid of those suckers as fast as that!
Next time they come over, send them up the road, I'll deal with them.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:00 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

All I will say is that I will never be as inconsiderate a house guest as they were. I'll make sure I don't take advantage of anyone's hospitality.

Trouble is, they had such a great time with us and wanted to come back again the next year Not in my lifetime they wont.
I get shocked when I hear of people inviting themselves to stay, whatever happened to being invited.

I mean is it cruel to refuse those you don't want to stay? Should you tolerate all visitors and every visitor on grounds that it is family? (according to some of my rellies it is)

Or should we have the right to say who stays, when they stay and for how long? I think the key is to draw your line and don't let anyone cross it.

Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

It would be very difficult to refuse to let family or friends stay but these particular house guests know they don't stand a chance in hell of coming back to stay with us.

With hindsight it would have been better to clear the air with them before they left but we kept thinking to ourselves that they were only staying with us for 3 weeks and we'll 'just put up with them'.

There are lots of examples of their poor behaviour that I could list, and they do seem trivial if looked at individually, but my list is a long one.

When someone spends a half an hour in a shower before going to the beach then another half an hour on their return (and there was 3 of them), you have to question whether they have any brains.

Only when they used up all my son's toiletries in the family bathroom they started to use their travel sized toiletries that they brought with them.

On the first morning after they arrived they greeted us when we got out of bed by telling us that they had had a lovely breakfast and had used up all the bacon and eggs in our fridge. And were quite proud of themselves. In fairness to them they took themselves off to Coles and came back with 2 bottles of Coke and a packet of crisps.

That's only for starters. I'm off to have a coffee now, oh wait I can't, after they drank all of our coffee they bought a jar and took it back home to Scotland with them.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I am not sure that really is that bad Laura. The showers before beach is odd, I agree with that. But if you told them to make themselves feel at home then I don't think you should be put out that they made themselves breakfast, drunk coffee or used up the toiletries.

I had guests recently, I bought toiletries for their bathroom, I bought instant coffee for them (they drink but we do not) and I also told them to help themselves to anything from the fridge for breakfast as they got up before us. I was not at all peeved to get up and find that they had eaten..
Old Jan 5th 2014, 7:33 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's a Gold Coast thing
Old Jan 5th 2014, 9:05 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We've had loads of visitors over the years. Never had a problem with any of them other than the inability to sit & watch the footy in my jocks while they're here.
Deb's folks stayed 6 months one time & it was nice to come home to a meal each night. My Dad has been a couple of times for 3 months or so again no problems. We have a food kitty & chuck a couple of hundred bucks in each time it gets low that way we're all chipping in and guests have a choice in meals etc. It works well for us, Deb's mum came up with the idea because she felt they weren't making a contribution. It took us a while to get her to stop cooking Stew & dumplings in 30 degrees of heat & swap it for grilled chicken & salad lol. Our house was built with the guest bedrooms at the opposite end of the house with their own bathroom. Shower gel & toiletries come out of the kitty so there's no bitching about those long term guests just tag along to the supermarket & buy whatever they need. Short stay we don't bother a bottle of radox gel is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things.
We do have a rule about showering, toilet flushing & leaving the tap running while cleaning teeth. Our 12yr old niece forced the implementation of that one as she would spend half an hour in the shower, blow her nose constantly & flush the tissue & run the tap while cleaning her teeth. We rely on tank water & those three things use more water in two weeks than Deb & I do in two months. Needless waste of water.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Food and toiletry kitty sounds a very good idea.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

GreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to allGreenMan72 is a name known to all

Have had the whole extended family staying from both sides as we have a newborn .

Question for the floor - would you expect guests who stay more than several days to chip in for groceries? None of the outlaws have (in fact two of them are just downright lazy) or have even offered to pay for anything, or chip in. If this is normal, then fine, just do not know what is to be expected.

Also the sister-in-law's anti-male attitude (cue lots of lazy, useless men jokes/comments) rubbed me up the wrong way (esp. as I am pretty much running the house and supporting my wife who is constantly tired). That and her inability to ever move from the couch has got me counting down the days until she leaves. The brother-in-law is great though and I enjoyed his company.

Ah...in-laws...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.