Indian Spice shop?

Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice
Default Re: Indian Spice shop?

Originally Posted by fish.01
http://www.spicetrail.com.au/contact-us/

or

Indian Essence
21/99, West Burleigh Road, Gold Coast, QLD 4220
p: (07) 5520 4276 f: (07) 5520 4276
Thanks fish.01
I went to Southport on Monday and found this shop. It was great!!
Proper Indian supermarket that sold everything, even curry mixes with recipes from the owner, who was lovely. She was very understanding and when i asked her which indian curry house she goes to eat in she just laughed and said "we DONT! we eat at home! Ozzie curries are not good but you cant beat an English curry though!) ha ha even the Indains wont eat here!
Anyway stocked up to the eye balls with huge bags of cheap spices. Less money than Woolworths little pots of stale spices.
So thanks again,
Claire.xx
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

i tried to find the shop on West Burleigh rd, drove up and down.....it must have been hiding from me!!

How was the curry Claire?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

Originally Posted by sammyg
i tried to find the shop on West Burleigh rd, drove up and down.....it must have been hiding from me!!

Not bad huni, it was a madras but not as we know it so will stick to what i know!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Sam
I have been to the one at Burleigh - it is just below the highway if you take a left just past James Street just next to the GC highway turnoff going towards Miami. It also sells takeaway food. I went there, and it did not suit me, however, the Spice Trail near KeebraPark school is fantastic. They also have lots of other types of soices such as Iranian etc.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gazclaire
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!! you may have saved me from a fate worse than death having to resort to an ozzie curry!!!
Make my own but cant get all the ingredients here!
Yes you can buy the ingredients. Coles and woolies stock Pataks and Sharwoods. Add some meat and veg and you have a typical British curry you woud get in a British Indian restaurant.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Yes you can buy the ingredients. Coles and woolies stock Pataks and Sharwoods. Add some meat and veg and you have a typical British curry you woud get in a British Indian restaurant.
Totally disagree. I have never ever eaten a 'curry' in a restaurant in any country I've been to that tastes so chemically as you get with supermarket sold pastes and sauces. Just because they're not true sub continent curries doesn't mean that the British curry is poor. It's different.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Totally disagree. I have never ever eaten a 'curry' in a restaurant in any country I've been to that tastes so chemically as you get with supermarket sold pastes and sauces. Just because they're not true sub continent curries doesn't mean that the British curry is poor. It's different.
I've been to quite a few in Britain that were straight out of a jar. You could even see the jars on the shelves in the kitchen!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to quite a few in Britain that were straight out of a jar. You could even see the jars on the shelves in the kitchen!
Been to the wrong ones then, haven't you Personally, if I went into an 'Indian' restaurant and saw the jars in the kitchen, I'd walk out again but hey
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:05 am
Account Closed

Been to the wrong ones then, haven't you Personally, if I went into an 'Indian' restaurant and saw the jars in the kitchen, I'd walk out again but hey
I did. Brick Lane it is quite common. Also the curry mile in Rusholme in Manchester it's quite common as well. there are some really shit curry houses in both places.

The best I had in the UK was in Heaton Moor (Stockport). Traditional Northern Indian though, not British.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I agree trade distritions or what!!! where on earth did you have an indian curry from a jar?? did you have raisins in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know what your saying though! yes i mean a proper indian curry made in England!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

I did. Brick Lane it is quite common. Also the curry mile in Rusholme in Manchester it's quite common as well. there are some really shit curry houses in both places.

The best I had in the UK was in Heaton Moor (Stockport). Traditional Northern Indian though, not British.
I think both areas mentioned are now considered tourist attractions and people go because they're supposed to be brilliant and they don't get what they used to. Went to one in Brick Lane in the early 80s and it was fantastic. Crap decor but food to die for.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:13 am
Account Closed

I think both areas mentioned are now considered tourist attractions and people go because they're supposed to be brilliant and they don't get what they used to. Went to one in Brick Lane in the early 80s and it was fantastic. Crap decor but food to die for.
There's only a couple in Brick Lane that are any good and it's predominantly Bangladeshi anyway. In London trying to find a good curry is near impossible. All the ones that came recommended I thought were rubbish and were swimming in oil.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

I my 10,0000 currys eaten in the UK i have never had one that resembled the crap taste of a Pataks jar!!!

I did live in the Midlands though where the air ponged of a chicken tikka Bhuna!!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:24 am
Account Closed

I my 10,0000 currys eaten in the UK i have never had one that resembled the crap taste of a Pataks jar!!!

I did live in the Midlands though where the air ponged of a chicken tikka Bhuna!!
One hundred thousand curries? You must resemble the back end of a bus!