British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Incy Wincy Spider (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/incy-wincy-spider-473618/)

Bobcat Aug 13th 2007 2:38 am

Incy Wincy Spider

5 Attachment(s)
Check out these photos of some poor geezer's thumb after getting a bit of a nip from a teeny weeny spider.......... apparently it was ever so small !!! :eek::eek::eek:

Don't worry.......... it wasn't in Australia :thumbsup:

.......... where's that bloody can of Mortein?

:eek::eek::eek:

Poppett44 Aug 13th 2007 3:32 am

Re: Incy Wincy Spider

:eek: well thats just put me off my lunch :sneaky:

Bobcat Aug 13th 2007 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Poppett44 (Post 5181908)
:eek: well thats just put me off my lunch :sneaky:

Put me off my bacon butty too!!! :eek::eek:

pete jackson Aug 13th 2007 6:28 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bobcat (Post 5181808)
Check out these photos of some poor geezer's thumb after getting a bit of a nip from a teeny weeny spider.......... apparently it was ever so small !!! :eek::eek::eek:

This spider was waiting for us behind our clothes in the wardrobe! Pete

Ozzy7 Aug 13th 2007 8:29 am

Issie Aug 13th 2007 8:30 am

Originally Posted by pete jackson (Post 5182099)

What did you do with it?:eek:

Issie Aug 13th 2007 8:30 am

Why on earth did you post that :eek::eek:

DrWho Aug 13th 2007 8:35 am

Check out these photos of some poor geezer's thumb...

That should cure a couple of thousand wannabes... :sneaky:

Amanda Jayne Aug 13th 2007 8:41 am

Originally Posted by pete jackson (Post 5182099)

Really? Your putting me off coming there....:eek:

DrWho Aug 13th 2007 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Amanda Jayne (Post 5182422)
Really? Your putting me off coming there....:eek:

The spideys are OK... It's the 2" cockies that get to most people... And they're so damned fast I reckon I average at least 3 swots to a splat... :mad:

Poppett44 Aug 13th 2007 8:48 am

Originally Posted by DrWho (Post 5182430)
The spideys are OK... It's the 2" cockies that get to most people... And they're so damned fast I reckon I average at least 3 swots to a splat... :mad:

You should NEVER swat a cockie,,,might be full of babies :eek::eek::eek:

AndyR1976 Aug 13th 2007 10:20 am

From the look of that guys hand it looks like the 'white tailed spider' - they are quite common in NSW! If you get bittne by one your skin basically starts to rot away around the bite.

the spiders are quite small (only about as round as a 20 pence piece) - I knew a girl that was bitten on the back by one! not nice but she had some injections or something and was fine!!

A!

Bobcat Aug 13th 2007 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Issie (Post 5182392)
Why on earth did you post that :eek::eek:

Hopefully so as to enlighten everyone as to the dangers that lurk hidden away unseen in dark corners............ and upon seeing these horrific photos......... well I think it's safe to say that in future all of us will treat the tiniest spider with the utmost of respect!!! :thumbup:

On a down side............ another poster has informed us this little spider is a native of Australia. :thumbdown:

Whereas i thought ......... and was hoping it is of a variety found in some other tropical hot-spot........ alas....... apparently we have the same little biting buggers down-under!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Hey.......... all things considered though......... it aint really such a bad spot down-under. Just have to check under the dunny seat before we sit down.

;);):)

AndyR1976 Aug 13th 2007 11:15 am

Here is a website all about Mr White-tailed Spider

http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets...led_spider.htm

In relation to the bite, it says this:

"White-tailed Spider bites can cause initial burning pain followed by swelling and itchiness at the bitten area. Occasionally, weals, blistering or local ulceration have been reported - conditions known medically as necrotising arachnidism. As well as the spider's venom, minor bacterial infection of the wound may be a contributory factor in such cases."

It does go on to say though that the effects have been much exagerrated by the media and that the 'necrotising arachnidism' is probably not as severe in many cases as people believe!

lesleys Aug 13th 2007 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Issie (Post 5182391)
What did you do with it?:eek:

Easy. Get an empty ice cream container and place it over the spider (the transparent sort are better so you can check you have caught all the legs). Slide a piece of card under the container so the spider is enclosed. Take the lot outside and release the poor creature. Keep spider removal kit handy for next visitor.:D