Income protection

Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Income protection

Am thinking i need to get myself some of this , (due to the fact sick leave from work here is practically non existant), could anyone point me in the right direction, or is it better to do this through super or through super and summit else

disclaimer : apoligies for the boring thread.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income protection

Can't help with one in particular but make sure you read the small print a thousand times. They will attempt to get out of paying anything if they possibly can. I've not seen a policy yet that's worth spending money on. They must be out there though, I guess.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:50 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Can't help with one in particular but make sure you read the small print a thousand times. They will attempt to get out of paying anything if they possibly can. I've not seen a policy yet that's worth spending money on. They must be out there though, I guess.
I am hesitant, but when i look at my two weeks sick entitlement i get worried incase i break me leg or summit!, i
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:56 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need one of these.

Anyone trying to take your income will be the ones with broken legs.
Attached Thumbnails Income protection-.jpg  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
I am hesitant, but when i look at my two weeks sick entitlement i get worried incase i break me leg or summit!, i
The award says 4 weeks per annum accruing Annualy in Victoria Marg.... you may have a case for compensation if they are offering you less than this.

Heres the award....

37. SICK LEAVE
(i) Subject to the following limitation and conditions an employee shall be entitled to sick leave on full pay calculated by allowing 76 rostered ordinary hours of work for each year of continuous service less any sick leave on full pay already taken:
(a) An employee shall not be entitled to sick leave until after three months continuous service.
(b) An employee shall not be entitled to sick leave on full pay for any period in respect of which such employee is entitled to accident pay, or workers' compensation; provided, however that where an employee is not in receipt of accident pay, an employer shall pay to an employee, who has sick leave entitlements under this clause, the difference between the amount received as workers compensation and full pay.
The employee's sick leave entitlement under this clause shall, for each week during which such difference is paid, be reduced by the proportion of hours which the difference bears to full pay. On the expiration of available sick leave, weekly compensation payments only shall be payable.
(c) All periods of sickness shall be certified to by the Medical Superintendent or Director of Nursing of the employer or by the employee's own legally qualified medical practitioner or dentist. The employer may dispense with the requirement of a medical certificate where the absence does not exceed 2 consecutive days or where, in the employer's opinion, the circumstances are such as not to warrant such requirement.
(d) Each employee shall, as soon as reasonably practicable and in any case within 24 hours of the commencement of such absence, inform the employer of his or her inability to attend for duty and as far as possible state the nature of the injury or illness and the estimated duration of the absence.
(e) Where an employee is absent on sick leave for a total of 10 working days in any one year of service and has no sick leave entitlement carried over from previous years, that employee will continue to be paid for an additional 4 hours even though no sick leave credit might exist. Such additional payment will not affect the subsequent year‟s sick leave entitlement, ie. it is “special sick leave”, not “sick leave in advance”

Because my wife has been in the system for so long, she would have around 9 or 10 months sick leave up her sleeve. She takes plenty as well

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 21st 2011 at 8:46 am.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:11 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Am thinking i need to get myself some of this , (due to the fact sick leave from work here is practically non existant), could anyone point me in the right direction, or is it better to do this through super or through super and summit else

I didnt go for income protection as the questions were so invasive from the point of view they wouldnt cover Mr PP as they said his car crash injuries were 'pre existing'.

Because we have a mortgage, I took out mortgage protection (better than nothing) which will at least pay our mortgage if either of us are paid off or too sick to work and I know people who have claimed with it no problems - we went with our bank, they did quite a good policy.

Might be worth talking to your bank Margaret, I know our bank do income protection.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:55 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

We used a local firm in South Australia who are British and just a male and female partnership. They are dealing with our several pension transfers. We thought it sensible to have protection for me as my wife was not working at the time and dependent on my income.

They have been here five years and live in the community and have a first class reputation so I believe what they have told me. There should be no problem if a claim is require if you are with one of the reputable companies. Unfortunately, you would not want to be in the position to test that.

If you want some basic advice, I can give you there details, but I am sure you would like some one local.

Cooler
Old Apr 21st 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The award says 4 weeks per annum accruing Annualy in Victoria Marg.... you may have a case for compensation if they are offering you less than this.

Heres the award....

37. SICK LEAVE
(i) Subject to the following limitation and conditions an employee shall be entitled to sick leave on full pay calculated by allowing 76 rostered ordinary hours of work for each year of continuous service less any sick leave on full pay already taken:
(e) Where an employee is absent on sick leave for a total of 10 working days in any one year of service and has no sick leave entitlement carried over from previous years, that employee will continue to be paid for an additional 4 hours even though no sick leave credit might exist. Such additional payment will not affect the subsequent year‟s sick leave entitlement, ie. it is “special sick leave”, not “sick leave in advance”

Because my wife has been in the system for so long, she would have around 9 or 10 months sick leave up her sleeve. She takes plenty as well
A full time week is often 40 hours so 76 hours award is 2 weeks per year, although like your wife as I've been with the company a few years I have more than 2 weeks available now
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
A full time week is often 40 hours so 76 hours award is 2 weeks per year, although like your wife as I've been with the company a few years I have more than 2 weeks available now
The wife just had her yearly sickness accrument added to her pay and it was 159 hours.... going to check this out further.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:42 am
Account Closed

yeah i've used some of my sick time as well, and as i was part-time to begin with and working agency ( am now full-time with public hosp), i dont have much, but i do worry about it, its one of the things i took for granted in the NHS, if i did break a leg or summit, or something else unpleasant, then we would be right up shit creek! an defineately gonna get this sorted, as pp says, i think i'll go and talk to the bank.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

I have income protection, my employers pay for it. Not sure if all policies are the same, but mine only covers me after three months off sick, and then only 80% of salary for up to 12 months.

Not sure what I would do for the first three months if something serious happened and I was off work long term
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by melibeam
I have income protection, my employers pay for it. Not sure if all policies are the same, but mine only covers me after three months off sick, and then only 80% of salary for up to 12 months.

Not sure what I would do for the first three months if something serious happened and I was off work long term
I know you can get it through super for long term, was gonna look into that also, Health super sent me a letter about it, but in my true organised style i have lost it
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Cant get income protection coz of the brain tumour thing... And life insurance is out too...

so I'm one of those uninsured fluckwits who will loose my home if I get sick again...

But no through choice
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 7:22 am
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by eddie007
Cant get income protection coz of the brain tumour thing... And life insurance is out too...

so I'm one of those uninsured fluckwits who will loose my home if I get sick again...

But no through choice
I'm in the same boat. Simply because I was referred to a counselor here by my gp.

A note to those that haven't signed up or shopped for insurance yet. After I was cut off by the insurance company I went and talked to the gp about it... He said the insurance companies are legally allowed to discriminate (Thinking it couldn't be possible, after all this is a civilized country right? That's debatable! I looked it up, and yup the act actually uses the word discriminate...) He said the way round this is to have a good news doctor and a bad news doctor. He said he has a number of patients that do this.

Basically how it works is if you suspect there maybe something serious (or in my case being down and wanting to talk to someone about it so I got a referral to a counselor...) you go to the bad news doctor where you use a fake name and you pay cash. And if they find something you know what conversation to have with your insurance company...

For the good new doctor you don't let them do much digging so as not to find anything that will give the insurance companies reason... But if they do suspect something make sure you play it down and or throw them off the sent. And then go the the bad news doctor to find out what it really is.

And when you got things in order you go back to the good news doctor to let the cat out of the bag - making sure you play dumb.

Last edited by furbacchione; Apr 22nd 2011 at 7:29 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

................but that is dishonest..............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.