British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Incest in quiet NSW country town (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/incest-quiet-nsw-country-town-817576/)

sonlymewalter Dec 12th 2013 12:34 am

Incest in quiet NSW country town

you wouldn't think this could happen :eek:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...-1226780575248

Sad for the kids.

Dreamy Dec 12th 2013 5:22 am

Re: Incest in quiet NSW country town

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 11032173)

Sad for the kids.

Sad for all of them really - the adults were brought up in the same way by the sounds of it, it goes so far beyond just incest it should have its own term :(

How the hell wasn't it picked up earlier?

scrubbedexpat098 Dec 12th 2013 5:32 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 11032466)
Sad for all of them really - the adults were brought up in the same way by the sounds of it, it goes so far beyond just incest it should have its own term :(

How the hell wasn't it picked up earlier?

I saw this reported in the daily mail so thought it was bollocks, they had a pic taken at echo point, although they were probably trying to be funny with pics of the 3 sisters or something.

Proper hills have eyes stuff, any guesses as to the location?? I'm going for Kangaroo Valley

NickyC Dec 12th 2013 7:01 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 (Post 11032477)

Proper hills have eyes stuff, any guesses as to the location?? I'm going for Kangaroo Valley

No - Kangaroo Valley isn't isolated enough. It's very yuppie and full of tourists. No chance of buying a cheap, bush block and lying low around there with no-one noticing you.

I'd go for somewhere in the foothills of the Snowy Mountains. There are some very rough isolated roads to the east of Tumut where you could live for years and no-one would bother you. Or inland of Eden there are also some remote valleys where questionable people have lived in the past.

There are actually countless, potential places either side of the range. A clue is that one of children was taken to Canberra Hospital.

quoll Dec 12th 2013 7:12 am

Yeah, I'd go for the area around Delegate. Am I surprised? Sadly, nothing surprises me any more, there are some right warped weirdos out there. I'm just glad they were caught/rescued but that's going to keep a whole load of social workers/psychiatrists in business for a very long time.

moneypenny20 Dec 12th 2013 7:50 am

I'd be very surprised if this 'family' were the only ones around.

Geordie George Dec 12th 2013 7:54 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 11032173)

Sad for the kids.

It's not sad, it's bloody tragic. The abuse, neglect, malnutrition ... It's absolutely horrific. Those poor children.

And yet (and I'm clearly going to hell for this) I can't help but hum duelling banjos as I'm reading the story.

sonlymewalter Dec 12th 2013 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Geordie George (Post 11032638)
It's not sad, it's bloody tragic. The abuse, neglect, malnutrition ... It's absolutely horrific. Those poor children.

And yet (and I'm clearly going to hell for this) I can't help but hum duelling banjos as I'm reading the story.

:eek:

:rofl:

eddie007 Dec 12th 2013 8:05 am

children growing up in squalor, isolated from normal and where incest is considered usual ..... Generation after generation.....

If this were certain areas America I would be slightly less surprised.

Its Very very sad.

However I have little issue with the pet kangaroo sleeping on the bed... Our dog sleeps on ours given half a chance

BadgeIsBack Dec 12th 2013 8:49 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 11032649)
children growing up in squalor, isolated from normal and where incest is considered usual ..... Generation after generation.....

If this were certain areas America I would be slightly less surprised.

Its Very very sad.

However I have little issue with the pet kangaroo sleeping on the bed... Our dog sleeps on ours given half a chance

....these scenarios need bush blocks along way from infrastructure...

I actually wonder if there was suspicion long before...

You'd get incest in Liverpool but maybe not inter generation...people would notice..

sonlymewalter Dec 12th 2013 8:50 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 11032717)

You'd get incest in Liverpool but maybe not inter generation...people would notice..

I wouldn't count on it:lol:

sonlymewalter Dec 12th 2013 8:52 am

Makes you wonder if the kids will ever be right after being exposed to this?

They are obviously very sexually active with no moral compass - can they ever be re calibrated?

eddie007 Dec 12th 2013 8:54 am

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter (Post 11032723)
Makes you wonder if the kids will ever be right after being exposed to this?

They are obviously very sexually active with no moral compass - can they ever be re calibrated?

You can't say they have no moral compass.... They were living within the acceptable norms of THEIR family....

mikelincs Dec 12th 2013 8:55 am

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 11032717)

But these families had moved around the country, never staying in one place that long, and the children had had no real contact with the 'outside' for a number of generations, seems like they had probably invented their own language as well. Will take many years to sort out, and the children will, probably, never be 'normal'. There are probably such groups in many countries, but it's only those with vast uninhabited areas that they would be able to get away with it for so long..

sonlymewalter Dec 12th 2013 9:02 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 11032726)
You can't say they have no moral compass.... They were living within the acceptable norms of THEIR family....

Their family made it the norm to behave this way - so by default they have no moral compass.

Not that difficult to understand.