Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Originally Posted by alicecat
Exactly..... making a canoe is a waste of energy in a hot, dry country. They knew exactly how to live in Australia and did so successfully for 40 thousand years.

agree entirely!! One thing I'm ashamed of, how our British soldiers took the land from them, I know it happens the world over , and has for years, but the biggest joke is that Australians hark on about their rich cultural roots, and use the aboriginal art and histrory to pull in the tourists! what a load of....
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kelbelinoz;5919035]agree entirely!! One thing I'm ashamed of, how our British soldiers took the land from them,

Why are you ashamed, did you know the soldiers involved?

As I said earlier in this thread, I refuse to fill ashamed for something that happened 3 or 4 generations before I was born.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
agree entirely!! One thing I'm ashamed of, how our British soldiers took the land from them, I know it happens the world over , and has for years, but the biggest joke is that Australians hark on about their rich cultural roots, and use the aboriginal art and histrory to pull in the tourists! what a load of....
You should be proud of what the Brits did here 200 years ago. They built the foundations of a great country.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
gree entirely!! One thing I'm ashamed of, how our British soldiers took the land from them, the biggest joke is that Australians hark on about their rich cultural roots, and use the aboriginal art and histrory to pull in the tourists! what a load of....
I've got to disagree with this as most Australians I know never talk about Aboriginals at all and if they were asked to name the best things about Australia to a foreigner then Aboriginal culture would not figure on the list. The majority of tourism adverts for Australia that I saw when I used to live in the UK seemed to revolve around the scenery, beach lifestyle, etc. Aboriginal things did feature but certainly didn't dominate.

Another point is that if the British soldiers hadn't come then somebody else's (French, German, Dutch) would have done. The Aboriginals would not have been left alone as this was not the way that the world operated then and there is no point trying to judge the past by todays standards.

Last edited by yanH; Feb 12th 2008 at 4:54 am.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Rastis will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
It depends on your definition of intelligence, they can eat and survive in an environment that myself and a lot of other "white" folk would die after a few days. Maybe they didn't care for canoes, but they must have known, how did they get to Australia otherwise?
Don't forget too, they were considered fauna, by whites...........
Aboriginals did have canoes, they were made from stripping a whole sheet of bark from a special type of tree (can't remember the name of it) The bark is then made pliable by the use of fire and water, the ends are sown together and water proofed and branches are cut to make supports. There is a movie called Ten Canoes, it's a nice little movie and shows how their canoes where made.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yanH
I've got to disagree with this as most Australians I know never talk about Aboriginals at all and if they were asked to name the best things about Australia to a foreigner then Aboriginal culture would not figure on the list. The majority of tourism adverts for Australia that I saw when I used to live in the UK seemed to revolve around the scenery, beach lifestyle, etc. Aboriginal things did feature but certainly didn't dominate.

Another point is that if the British soldiers hadn't come then somebody else's (French, German, Dutch) would have done. The Aboriginals would not have been left alone as this was not the way that the world operated then and there is no point trying to judge the past by todays standards.
Thats because you aren't going to come here for the Aboriginals, you are going to come here for the scenery, beach lifestyle, thats the selling point.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Aus is much the same though. I watched grown men choking back tears in the office over the death of Heath Ledger, and the main talking points at work revolve around Australian Idol, Lost and other such programmes.

Dead right.

What's the obsession with the likes of Paris Hilton, Britney Spears and Co???

Give us news not newZZzzzz.

Australia's fast-becoming the land of American-wannabees.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rastis
Aboriginals did have canoes, they were made from stripping a whole sheet of bark from a special type of tree (can't remember the name of it) The bark is then made pliable by the use of fire and water, the ends are sown together and water proofed and branches are cut to make supports. There is a movie called Ten Canoes, it's a nice little movie and shows how their canoes where made.
I figured they had to know! just did not know the details, but thanks for filling me in, must look out the film and have a look!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rastis
Thats because you aren't going to come here for the Aboriginals, you are going to come here for the scenery, beach lifestyle, thats the selling point.
Exactly totally agree and that's why I disagreed with the OP.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
I figured they had to know! just did not know the details, but thanks for filling me in, must look out the film and have a look!
Its a good movie quite funny, its in an Aboriginal Dialect, with subtitles.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Aus is much the same though. I watched grown men choking back tears in the office over the death of Heath Ledger, and the main talking points at work revolve around Australian Idol, Lost and other such programmes.
Exactly. Give me the UK media over the excuse for news here anyday. I know they are a bunch of sharks over there but at least you *can* get a decent paper if you want one. You even have a choice!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 6:30 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You should be proud of what the Brits did here 200 years ago. They built the foundations of a great country.
They did build the foundations of a great country ,it's a pity that in the last ten years or so the try to deny any of it's Brtish history .
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH

it's called opinion, which we are all entitled to. Each have their own view. I said HOW it was taken, not that it was taken! There was a lot of violence, and many aboriginies were murdered, they wanted to wipe them all out! As far as tourist stuff is concerned, there is plenty of it! Also quantas air cabin crew wear aboriginal art print uniform.....sorry if I have offended anyone.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/1999/se...geno-s07.shtml

you may or may not find this interesting!?
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluejohn
They did build the foundations of a great country ,it's a pity that in the last ten years or so the try to deny any of it's Brtish history .

bizarre really as many of them are British decent!!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Trixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really niceTrixy is just really nice

Patronising, sanctimonious know-it-alls are actually very disliked in Australia. If you're one of those.. good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.