Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:37 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are immigrants disliked in Australia??

Originally Posted by Hutch
Nothing a full clip from an AK-47 wouldn't remedy anyway ...
x2 - I was thinking more along the lines of an M249 SAW

Last edited by bigAPE; Feb 6th 2008 at 8:39 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmakc1977
Hello!

I've been wondering about how the ozzies feel about immigrants? In the UK, we are always hearing rants about immigrants and how they are a drain on the economy, using up schooling and taking jobs etc etc

I was just wondering if those emigrating from the UK to Australia come up against the same kinds of dislike and discrimination?

Thanks.
Nah they save it for the indigenous population and anyone not white . Much like anywhere else, younger element on the whole more enlightened. Can say with shame that many of the elder members of my Aussie relatives speak as they find about none whites....
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

hawkshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by burtreynoldsisonit
I think what hawkshaw was getting across was his willingness to joke about himself to encourage a fun, friendly experience rather than using that line as a social crutch.
Exactly! Thank you Burt.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

hawkshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alicecat
You provided those words as some sort of advice to people on how to break the ice. It may suit you to do that now but I am sure you will get sick of it. You say your friends are not ignorant and maybe they are not but it was you who said that you have had to overcome any 'problems that might be there' thus showing your awareness of the prejudices that Australians have with 'Poms'.

My point still stands. You may be comfortable with calling yourself a 'Pommy b****d' and it is your prerogative. I personally would not go round the UK calling myself an 'arrogant hick Aussie' nor would I as a woman talk about myself as being 'only a stupid woman, what would I know?'

My husband got sick of the constant playing up to being a 'Pommy b***d' because it just got worse. Yes our real friends didn't do it but work colleagues and people we met did and it just got tiring and demeaning.
I am not arguing against your point of view. It is yours and you are entitled to it and I'm sorry your husband had a hard time of it here. I trust that you are now happy in the UK and of course you wouldn't have to explain you are an Aussie (unless perhaps you were in a particular part of Suffolk I know where the local accent is remarkably similar to an Australian one).

However, if you must 'quote' my words, could you please use the actual ones instead of paraphrasing to give a subtly different emphasis.

And nowhere did I offer advice. I simply related my own experiences that I personally had not met any prejudice but sometimes I made a joke of being a Pom. That, as you agree, is my prerogative, but it does not constitute advice.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Babydub77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I don't have a problem in the UK with immigrants that come to WORK!! There is a shortage of unskilled labour, mainly because there are millions of so called born and bread British- (white, black and Asian etc) that don't want to work!!!!- they are happy to take benefits and bleed the system. If you were from Poland or other eastern European countries and you wanted a better life for yourself and your family- why not emigrate. And why do people judge? I want to move to Australia for the same reason to work hard and have a better life. I have had many chats with an Ozzy guy who lives here, he reckons Australians are cool as long as you go and live there by their rules. No problem! The main problem is when people don't blend in or decide it is there "human right" to change the system or be offended by native customs etc. The world needs to lighten up, stop being so dam pc and have a laugh! we shouldn't take ourselves so seriously, i will take the pomm jokes on the chin- but be warned I give as good as i get! hahaha
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

RedDevilUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Babydub77
Personally I don't have a problem in the UK with immigrants that come to WORK!! There is a shortage of unskilled labour, mainly because there are millions of so called born and bread British- (white, black and Asian etc) that don't want to work!!!!- they are happy to take benefits and bleed the system. If you were from Poland or other eastern European countries and you wanted a better life for yourself and your family- why not emigrate. And why do people judge? I want to move to Australia for the same reason to work hard and have a better life. I have had many chats with an Ozzy guy who lives here, he reckons Australians are cool as long as you go and live there by their rules. No problem! The main problem is when people don't blend in or decide it is there "human right" to change the system or be offended by native customs etc. The world needs to lighten up, stop being so dam pc and have a laugh! we shouldn't take ourselves so seriously, i will take the pomm jokes on the chin- but be warned I give as good as i get! hahaha
Agree with Babydub77

I want to go to Australia, i am already aware that it will be HOT, sometimes too hot for my milky white skin lol, i also expect to see loads of spiders and snakes... and wont find my usual foods in the supermarket.

Why.....
Cos its not bloody Britain.....

give me a few years in OZ and i will live just like an Australian.

i have respect for the thoughts and feelings of all Australians who have to put up with all us Brits moving there... however

I... or should i say my 2 sons (age 7 and 13) are the last bloodline of my LONG family history. Who members of, have lost lives in every battle and world war this country has had, our family has/is proud and patriotic.

So.... moving from Britain means my next family generations will be Australians... no-one left here in britain, if thats not showing total respect for Australia what is?

if i get told to piss off back home, cos im in there country making it worse etc etc.... they will get blasted!

im there to improve Australia with hopefully a NEW family and future and i will be giving 110% to make sure we do

by the way... not a whinging POM honest
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:24 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDevilUK
Agree with Babydub77

I want to go to Australia, i am already aware that it will be HOT, sometimes too hot for my milky white skin lol, i also expect to see loads of spiders and snakes... and wont find my usual foods in the supermarket.

Why.....
Cos its not bloody Britain.....

give me a few years in OZ and i will live just like an Australian.

i have respect for the thoughts and feelings of all Australians who have to put up with all us Brits moving there... however

I... or should i say my 2 sons (age 7 and 13) are the last bloodline of my LONG family history. Who members of, have lost lives in every battle and world war this country has had, our family has/is proud and patriotic.

So.... moving from Britain means my next family generations will be Australians... no-one left here in britain, if thats not showing total respect for Australia what is?

if i get told to piss off back home, cos im in there country making it worse etc etc.... they will get blasted!

im there to improve Australia with hopefully a NEW family and future and i will be giving 110% to make sure we do

by the way... not a whinging POM honest
Would like to be a fly on the wall when you tell them you are there to improve Australia!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
Would like to be a fly on the wall when you tell them you are there to improve Australia!
Doesn't he know that Australia is already the best country in the world and we are all fabulously lucky to live here?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:22 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting these last few posts. I had a long chat with a really lovely intelligent Aussie family last night when I went to pick up my boys from an after school play date. I should mentioned that these guys are as Aussie as can be but have in their lives lived outside Australia, in Hong Kong and the UK. So they tend to have a slightly less rose coloured view of the country

We were chatting about everything from the new series of Lost to currency fluctuations and the housing market. I mentioned that I have been quite concerned about the total instability in the Currency and Housing space, let alone the price of petrol changing on a daily basis. We have seen quite massive (in my book) fluctuations in the last year over here on all those fronts.

My mate shook his head and said, "you're not alone". Apparently Australia has the rough GDP of Iowa and without Iron exports we would likely be in a recession already. A "blip on the radar" is how he described the Australians impact on the world economy. I should mention that I am not an economist and I am certainly not qualified enough to comment on his statements but I though it was interesting that a "full on" Aussie would be slagging his own country off to that extent and basically saying that they have an "over inflated opinion of themselves and their impact on the world stage". While this might be a little true I ended up kind of defending Australia. I suggested that if we removed all the singers, songwriters, bands and actors from the "worlds stage" that if would be much worse off. He agreed and said that Australia contributes to the world in other ways (ACDC, Kangaroo's, Vegimite, Kylie, Barbies, etc), but that financially "we" are effected by everything that happens in the world.

Didn't make me feel any happier about conceivably throwing our life savings into a country which is financially so volatile.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been here all that long but have already noticed a big difference in outlook between 'educated' & traveled Aussies and those who have never left, never wanted to, and don't really have a clue about life outside their backyard. I imagine this is much the same the world over, but perhaps exacerbated here by the typical 'aussie-love' propaganda and the horrifically narrow news reporting.
So I'd say that (in my opinion only) the intelligent well traveled family referred to above is therefore not "as aussie as can be"!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:09 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Interesting these last few posts. I had a long chat with a really lovely intelligent Aussie family last night when I went to pick up my boys from an after school play date. I should mentioned that these guys are as Aussie as can be but have in their lives lived outside Australia, in Hong Kong and the UK. So they tend to have a slightly less rose coloured view of the country

We were chatting about everything from the new series of Lost to currency fluctuations and the housing market. I mentioned that I have been quite concerned about the total instability in the Currency and Housing space, let alone the price of petrol changing on a daily basis. We have seen quite massive (in my book) fluctuations in the last year over here on all those fronts.

My mate shook his head and said, "you're not alone". Apparently Australia has the rough GDP of Iowa and without Iron exports we would likely be in a recession already. A "blip on the radar" is how he described the Australians impact on the world economy. I should mention that I am not an economist and I am certainly not qualified enough to comment on his statements but I though it was interesting that a "full on" Aussie would be slagging his own country off to that extent and basically saying that they have an "over inflated opinion of themselves and their impact on the world stage". While this might be a little true I ended up kind of defending Australia. I suggested that if we removed all the singers, songwriters, bands and actors from the "worlds stage" that if would be much worse off. He agreed and said that Australia contributes to the world in other ways (ACDC, Kangaroo's, Vegimite, Kylie, Barbies, etc), but that financially "we" are effected by everything that happens in the world.

Didn't make me feel any happier about conceivably throwing our life savings into a country which is financially so volatile.
You do find a few of us who can look at Australia without the 'Best bladdy country in the world!' specs on.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:18 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE

But we DO have iron-ore, shit-loads of it - and LNG, Gold, Nickel, Coal, Uranium and more. It's like saying 'if Saudi Arabia had no oil they would be a basket-case. Well duh'. Australia is about 15th in the World in terms of gross GDP. You only have to finish in the top 20.

Just because an Aussie holds an opinion about Australia does not mean they know what they are talking about.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Tashaa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes, there has been many wrongs done to Aboriginies in the past but they have also been afforded many opportunities as well. A whole heap of money has been thrown at them and it continues to this day. That most of them have chosen to piss this away is their problem and they have no-one else but themselves to blame.
It IS only RIGHT that they should be compensated for the terrible wrongs that they have suffered. And yes you ARE right whichever way they choose to dispose of that income is totally up to them. Anyway money is not always a solution. If only they had been treated with respect and dignity in the first place......
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tashaa
It IS only RIGHT that they should be compensated for the terrible wrongs that they have suffered. And yes you ARE right whichever way they choose to dispose of that income is totally up to them. Anyway money is not always a solution. If only they had been treated with respect and dignity in the first place......
Maybe respect and dignity would afford better opportunities than money and there should be no more freebie financial payments, only unlimited respect and dignity for all? It would be cheaper....

I believe that terrible wrongs were done to aborigines, but I also think it's weak to blame the past for individuals making bad choices today. The British were abused by the Vikings, many black Africans/Americans were abused through slavery, many people alive in the world today have suffered abuse I can only imagine in war torn countries and also in the 'civilised' world. Of course it will affect them each individually, but there are lots of examples of people who suffer immense hardship and go on to work hard and succeed in living a useful, happy, fulfiled life.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tashaa
There should be no apology and no compensation - ever. The Aboriginies got their arses kicked 200 years ago. They lost and need to deal with it and move on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.