Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I'm very confused........help needed.

Wikiposts

I'm very confused........help needed.

Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Croweater has a spectacular aura aboutCroweater has a spectacular aura aboutCroweater has a spectacular aura about
Default I'm very confused........help needed.

Something strange keeps happening in the night. I have a woodden floor and often when I go into the dining room in the morning, there is a pile of black dust, looks a little like gun powder, sitting on the floor under the light fitting.

I thought something must be living in the light, but when I took it apart there was no animal or dust present.

After cleaning the dust up, I came out this morning to find a pile of the same gun powder type dust under the light again.

Anyone any idea what could be causing it ??????
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:10 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I'm very confused........help needed.

Am sorry Croweater I don't have a clue, but am now very curious also so I hope someone responds to you soon!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 1:15 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Does your wife suck coal & sleep walk ... ?

Originally Posted by Croweater
Something strange keeps happening in the night. I have a woodden floor and often when I go into the dining room in the morning, there is a pile of black dust, looks a little like gun powder, sitting on the floor under the light fitting.

I thought something must be living in the light, but when I took it apart there was no animal or dust present.

After cleaning the dust up, I came out this morning to find a pile of the same gun powder type dust under the light again.

Old Feb 27th 2009, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Cor sounds intriguing!
Sorry don't have much of an answer really, not a mouse or anything like that chewing threw? My friend kept having a little visitor and she had no idea how he was getting in until she chased it and it was going out the plastic cover that had been put around the waste pipe to the outside, it hadnt been fixed in place and the mouse had his own private door! Took her ages to find out.

Perhaps its something like that.
Hope hyou find out soon though.

Plants
Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

davidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to alldavidb1989 is a name known to all

hi above most old ceilings there will be thick black dust and if vibrated or moved by a mouse or simallar it could fall through a gap in your light fitting, just a thought
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:00 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Any holes in the wood? It might be a wood borer (bug)
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:20 pm

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Put a table or something under the light.Next day if the dust is on the table,it's falling from above, if below it's coming up from the floor.You can also lightly sprinkle talc on the floor surrounding the black dust area,if any critter breaks the magic circle it will leave a trail.
See what happens and we'll take it from there.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
Put a table or something under the light.Next day if the dust is on the table,it's falling from above, if below it's coming up from the floor.You can also lightly sprinkle talc on the floor surrounding the black dust area,if any critter breaks the magic circle it will leave a trail.
See what happens and we'll take it from there.
"'kin 'ell Sherlock!"

"Why, it's rudimentary my dear Watson . . . "
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:38 am
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
"'kin 'ell Sherlock!"

"Why, it's rudimentary my dear Watson . . . "
I was going to say set up a camcorder
Could it be termites????
Old Feb 28th 2009, 8:48 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

We have this too. We have small ants in the roofspace and it is their residues that cause this for us.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

spilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the roughspilko is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like the sort of things ants leave. We get lots of these little mounds outside in areas where the ants are..