British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Illness after moving (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/illness-after-moving-667326/)

Kingseat May 8th 2010 3:31 am

Illness after moving

We are heading into our 6th month of illnesses since we moved here. Constant colds, chest infections and generally feeling crap. We do everything right with the fruit and veg, long walks, fresh air and exercise but just can't seem to shift these bugs.

I had to beg the Dr for anti-biotics with my last chest infection. Finished those a week ago and I am starting a cold again today. Relentless.

Has anyone else suffered in such a way?

Our GP said it is because we don't have immunity towards local viruses.

Pollyana May 8th 2010 3:42 am

Re: Illness after moving

Originally Posted by Kingseat (Post 8550840)
We are heading into our 6th month of illnesses since we moved here. Constant colds, chest infections and generally feeling crap. We do everything right with the fruit and veg, long walks, fresh air and exercise but just can't seem to shift these bugs.

I had to beg the Dr for anti-biotics with my last chest infection. Finished those a week ago and I am starting a cold again today. Relentless.

That's exactly what it is - even the cold germs here are different, and lots of people come down with bugs straight after moving. Plus its that tie of year in Aus when the Aussies seem to have more bugs anyway, so there is more around to catch.

LittleKittyCat May 8th 2010 4:08 am

Happened to me too. The kids seemed fine, but I got really run down at one point because I had cough after cold after cough. We arrived in Australia in Feb 09, and I would say that it took until October to feel more healthy. Like you, we eat a healthy diet etc, but nothing seemed to improve how I felt. I was permanently tired, run down, ached etc. I felt fine in myself, no homesickness etc, just physically I really suffered. I am just going through a spell of it again, and I am wondering if it is just something about this time of year that seems to trigger it off.

northernbird May 8th 2010 4:47 am

I think your little one is in daycare, I am convinced those places are breeding grounds for nasty stuff. When my kids were in daycare in the UK they picked up everything and passed it onto us.

There are some pretty nasty viruses going around at the moment. I just had the flu which knocked me for six and on top of that has triggered asthma which I have never suffered from. This is only my 2nd or maybe 3rd cold since arriving 5 years ago. We have been exceptionally fortunate.

emelems May 8th 2010 4:52 am

I hate taking antibiotics for that exact reason.. as soon as I stop taking them I catch everything going... they kill everything, including the good stuff.

Hope you feel better soon xxxx

Bernieboy May 8th 2010 4:54 am

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8550898)
I hate taking antibiotics for that exact reason.. as soon as I stop taking them I catch everything going... they kill everything, including the good stuff.

Hope you feel better soon xxxx

Yer just lovesick:D

emelems May 8th 2010 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 8550901)
Yer just lovesick:D

No better illness to have BB ! ;)

Em x

Bernieboy May 8th 2010 5:08 am

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8550910)
No better illness to have BB ! ;)

Em x

Blaaaagh:p

Pollyana May 8th 2010 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 8550915)

:thumbup:

emelems May 8th 2010 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 8550915)

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8550932)
:thumbup:

:D Thats me grinning from ear to ear..... :thumbup:

kporte May 8th 2010 5:46 am

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8550946)

Me too!:D

Bernieboy May 8th 2010 5:48 am

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8550951)

Judging by the position of yer ears thats one hell of a grin:lol:

Pollyana May 8th 2010 5:52 am

Originally Posted by kporte (Post 8550951)

Originally Posted by emelems (Post 8550946)

Must speak to Sue about getting a vomit smilie on BE......:sneaky:

Bernieboy May 8th 2010 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8550958)
Must speak to Sue about getting a vomif smilie on BE......:sneaky:

Pass me the bucket:zzz:

Pollyana May 8th 2010 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly (Post 8550961)
Pass me the bucket:zzz:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs40/f/20...mingGerbil.gif