Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If you're happy and you know it STAY PUT!

If you're happy and you know it STAY PUT!

Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all
Default If you're happy and you know it STAY PUT!

Ok, here's a tale of a family in a bit of a rut in the UK and questionning whether life could be better elsewhere?
If you have a good life in the UK, think very carefully before leaving it all behind to come to Australia.

We had very good managerial jobs in the UK, I worked part time, kids in a fab nursery 3 days a week, hubby home for the 5.30pm family meal every night, two nice cars, enough dosh for foreign holidays, nice home in nice area etc etc. Then my hubby got offered an all expenses paid move to a job in Brisbane. We decided that we didn't want to sit there at 50 thinking what if? (Should add my family are based in NZ)

Four months on and we are planning to go home in April 2009. (Can't go any earlier as we are tied into my husbands job!) So what's not to like! Well, shocker our quality of life is considerably worse off in Australia.

WHY?

Work Ethos
- basically you work like a dog, with very little free time. In my hubby's company and in many other places we have heard of its the norm to get in at 7.00am and work till 6.00pm. if you don't its frowned upon. Gone are family meal times during the week.

- Standard 4 weeks holiday, 2 of these you have to take at Christmas. Yes, you get sick days but you are not expected to take these.

- The attitude of the workforce is work work work. In my husbands field, as they have had to recruit overseas staff into positions, there is no shared commonality. Hence no office banter and work becomes a clock watching exercise.

- Beaurocracy (May help if i could spell it!) is unbelievable.

- Lack of expertise recruiting lack of expertise!

Food
- Considerably less choice in quality foods over here.
- Not that we eat high quantities of processed foods but things like sausages, soup mixes, etc. are really high in salt content and a complete no go area.
-Very very expensive and no real bargains like in the UK, yes they have specials and discounted foods but nothing that makes you think you got a great deal.
- On the positive, fruit and veg do taste better.

We feel our diet has become very limited over here.

Brisbane Free time
- My husband leaves for work in the dark and gets home in the dark. OK its winter, but evenings in the light in Brissy are non existant. No going to the park after work for a picnic.

Cost
- Clothing, toys, bedding - you name it its all more expensive in Australia. My hubby has a very good OZ salary - more than our combined UK salaries, however, the extra money is being eaten up quite literally just living.

Daycare & Schooling
Took me quite a while to get my head around this but the mentality here is that kids should be kids and there is very limited education at an early age. Basically daycare is a childminding exercise. Most do not provide food either.
Don't get me started on the lack of C& K kindergarden places! Its common to get your childs name down when they are born to gain a place. ( Ok in some areas thats the case in the UK, however, not in Cheshire)

Culture & Australians
- Never underestimate how different australians are. They are very positive, self depreciation is unheard of and any associated humour or sarcasm is lost on them.
- I wanted to integrate and get to know australians etc. but its hard as you don't have a shared history. Even things like what songs you grew up with are completely different.
- Australian culture is heavily influenced by America. Nuff said.

- Humour - well I won't even go there as it actually makes me laugh.

Friends
Never underestimate the power of friends and a close network especially when you have little ones. You dont realise how great your friends are till you have left them.
It has impacted on my 3 year old massively, he misses his pals significantly.

Weather
When it rains in Brissy, and it can rain, it is possible to be even more miserable than in the UK!! (As you have coping mechanisms and the UK is geared to activities for rain - quite rightly not so here.)

We were stuck in a rut in the UK, thank crikey , we didn't sell our house and I got a career break from my job so we have something great to go back. if nothing else, it has got my hubby out of a career rut and made him go and try something he should have done a while back.

Just because you are stuck in a rut, don't assume life is better in Oz, its not for everyone.

Excited to be going home.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you're happy and you know it STAY PUT!

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
Ok, here's a tale of a family in a bit of a rut in the UK and questionning whether life could be better elsewhere?
If you have a good life in the UK, think very carefully before leaving it all behind to come to Australia.

We had very good managerial jobs in the UK, I worked part time, kids in a fab nursery 3 days a week, hubby home for the 5.30pm family meal every night, two nice cars, enough dosh for foreign holidays, nice home in nice area etc etc. Then my hubby got offered an all expenses paid move to a job in Brisbane. We decided that we didn't want to sit there at 50 thinking what if? (Should add my family are based in NZ)

Four months on and we are planning to go home in April 2009. (Can't go any earlier as we are tied into my husbands job!) So what's not to like! Well, shocker our quality of life is considerably worse off in Australia.

WHY?

Work Ethos
- basically you work like a dog, with very little free time. In my hubby's company and in many other places we have heard of its the norm to get in at 7.00am and work till 6.00pm. if you don't its frowned upon. Gone are family meal times during the week.

- Standard 4 weeks holiday, 2 of these you have to take at Christmas. Yes, you get sick days but you are not expected to take these.

- The attitude of the workforce is work work work. In my husbands field, as they have had to recruit overseas staff into positions, there is no shared commonality. Hence no office banter and work becomes a clock watching exercise.

Food
- Not that we eat high quantities of processed foods but things like sausages, soup mixes, etc. are really high in salt content and a complete no go area.
-Very very expensive and no real bargains like in the UK, yes they have specials and discounted foods but nothing that makes you think you got a great deal.

Brisbane Free time
- My husband leaves for work in the dark and gets home in the dark. OK its winter, but evenings in the light in Brissy are non existant. No going to the park after work for a picnic.

Cost
- Clothing, toys, bedding - you name it its all more expensive in Australia. My hubby has a very good OZ salary - more than our combined UK salaries, however, the extra money is being eaten up quite literally just living.

Daycare & Schooling
Took me quite a while to get my head around this but the mentality here is that kids should be kids and there is very limited education at an early age. Basically daycare is a childminding exercise. Most do not provide food either.
Don't get me started on the lack of C& K kindergarden places! Its common to get your childs name down when they are born to gain a place. ( Ok in some areas thats the case in the UK, however, not in Cheshire)

Culture & Australians
- Never underestimate how different australians are. They are very positive, self depreciation is unheard of and any associated humour or sarcasm is lost on them.
- I wanted to integrate and get to know australians etc. but its hard as you don't have a shared history. Even things like what songs you grew up with are completely different.

Friends
Never underestimate the power of friends and a close network especially when you have little ones. You dont realise how great your friends are till you have left them.

Weather
When it rains in Brissy, and it can rain, it is possible to be even more miserable than in the UK!! (As you have coping mechanisms and the UK is geared to activities for rain - quite rightly not so here.)

We were stuck in a rut in the UK, thank crikey , we didn't sell our house and I got a career break from my job so we have something great to go back. if nothing else, it has got my hubby out of a career rut and made him go and try something he should have done a while back.

Just because you are stuck in a rut, don't assume life is better in Oz, its not for everyone.

Good post. Australia is not for those who have a very good lifestyle in the UK.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post and a great example of "if it aint broke, dont fix it". However, I am really sorry that it hasnt worked out well for you CK because whole process does take its toll on you. I hope your trip home goes smoothly and you can slip right on back into the good life you had. Living in a place for the good weather is definitely not all it is cracked up to be!!!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

WHY?

Work Ethos

Food

Brisbane Free time

Cost

Daycare & Schooling

Culture & Australians

Friends

Weather

Good post.

Can't comment on the childcare, but the rest is a fair reflection.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:16 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of points.

1) Many of the things you mention are specific to the area you live in - namely the 'mouth and trousers' capital of Oz - Brisbane, yet you constantly refer to Australia. You have no idea what it's like where I live, so please don't tar the whole country with the same brush.
2) Many of the things you mention are specific to the company your husband works for. You mention a few friends have said the same - hardly empirical evidence.
3) Yes - the aussies have this insane view that early school life should be about gaining self confidence and learning to get along with your peers rather than cramming them full of meaningless facts and figures assessed twice daily under exam conditions from the age of four. According to the United Nations, Australian youth leave school far better equipped academically and socially than their British counterparts.
4) Red tape's the same the world over. As an expat you have experienced more than many Australians will have by dint of entering society here and needing the basic documents (TFNs etc) of daily life in one go.
5) Food. My local supermarket stocks 10 kinds of cheddar cheese. How many kinds should they stock?
6) American influence. Absolutely. Have they removed all hip-hop, dance, rap, soul and rock from the British charts, shut down McDonalds, Starbucks and the Disney stores, banned Spiderman, Superman and Hancock from the cinema and removed Nike, Coca Cola and Heinz products from the shelves of British supermarkets? 'nuff said ...
7) I've been on holidays that lasted nearly as long as you've been here.
8) From your post and your attitudes it's pretty obvious you'd never settle anywhere outside the UK. You came here unwilling to change or accept and discovered that Australia is not a southern hemisphere version of England. Alert the media!

However you're right - Oz is not for everyone. But more importantly, living anywhere other than the same old 50 square miles you've always known in England is not for everyone.

Enjoy your life back in Cheshire.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

PepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to allPepaPig is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
Couple of points.

1) Many of the things you mention are specific to the area you live in - namely the 'mouth and trousers' capital of Oz - Brisbane, yet you constantly refer to Australia. You have no idea what it's like where I live, so please don't tar the whole country with the same brush.
2) Many of the things you mention are specific to the company your husband works for. You mention a few friends have said the same - hardly empirical evidence.
3) Yes - the aussies have this insane view that early school life should be about gaining self confidence and learning to get along with your peers rather than cramming them full of meaningless facts and figures assessed twice daily under exam conditions from the age of four. According to the United Nations, Australian youth leave school far better equipped academically and socially than their British counterparts.
4) Red tape's the same the world over. As an expat you have experienced more than many Australians will have by dint of entering society here and needing the basic documents (TFNs etc) of daily life in one go.
5) Food. My local supermarket stocks 10 kinds of cheddar cheese. How many kinds should they stock?
6) American influence. Absolutely. Have they removed all hip-hop, dance, rap, soul and rock from the British charts, shut down McDonalds, Starbucks and the Disney stores, banned Spiderman, Superman and Hancock from the cinema and removed Nike, Coca Cola and Heinz products from the shelves of British supermarkets? 'nuff said ...
7) I've been on holidays that lasted nearly as long as you've been here.
8) From your post and your attitudes it's pretty obvious you'd never settle anywhere outside the UK. You came here unwilling to change or accept and discovered that Australia is not a southern hemisphere version of England. Alert the media!

However you're right - Oz is not for everyone. But more importantly, living anywhere other than the same old 50 square miles you've always known in England is not for everyone.

Enjoy your life back in Cheshire.

Why did you feel the need to say all of that? Who are you trying to convince - yourself me thinks. Sadly your attitude is indicative of many on here that just want to attack anyone who doesnt find Australia the utopia you do. I guess you believe the fact you're a long term member of this site makes you the expert - NOT.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:00 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PepaPig
Why did you feel the need to say all of that? Who are you trying to convince - yourself me thinks. Sadly your attitude is indicative of many on here that just want to attack anyone who doesnt find Australia the utopia you do. I guess you believe the fact you're a long term member of this site makes you the expert - NOT.
No, I think he's right.

This is a discussion forum, so presumably the OP is expecting an ensuing discussion might take place from her post.

I feel for her, but I think 4 months is a ridiculous amount of time. It takes a year to settle and get friends.... but then I have seen people come and go in less time, so...

I disagree with much she has said, especially about little kids, education, sarcasm and humour of Australians....
All these things are different, but no better or worse than in any other country, least of all the UK.

I find it pretty surreal she mentions the rain in Brissy.... FFS, of course it rains! And it's more miserable than in the UK? What, weeks and weeks of cold, grey drizzle is better than a massive rain storm? (I don't include flooding in that - it floods in the UK too)

4 months is nothing and lots of the OP's moans are based around things which are different rather than better...
Brissie is hardly the cultural metropolis of the universe but it's there if you want to look.
As usual, someone's post about Australia (the whole obviously) and Australians (all of them, obviously) bears no resemblance to the life I live, the life my kids live, the Australians I know and call my friends....etc.

Diet, limited? I don't eat processed foods... I eat more food from different cultures than I ever did. Just browse a copy of Delicious Magazine for a few recipes.

And isn't it nice to find a whole nation that doesn't 'self deprecate' for their humour?
I'm so over the Englishness of that. It's not funny. It's boring.
Australians are just different.

12 weeks? C'mon!

Last edited by TiddlyPom; Jul 21st 2008 at 7:07 am.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PepaPig
Yes, he is right. We had a good lifestyle in the UK and we have an even better one here. Most of the OP's problems have not affected us here - in my OH's work and in the area we live.

It's good to hear how some people are disappointed - but that is THEIR experience in the area they choose to live.

Best of luck to OP back in the UK - sounds like the right decision for you.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Ok, I knew it would spark debate.

Alas, I must reply to the high horsers determined to defend Australia at all costs. You are more Australian than you realise (Hold on - nothing wrong with that!)

I don't tar all Australians with the same brush, nor all areas of Australia. I am wise enough to realise that all people are not the same, it was purely our observations as your comments are your observations. My experiences and opinions are no lesser or greater than yours just different.

As for the person who says that I haven't lived anywhere than 50 miles from my birth, please! I won't go into where I have lived or travelled, but needless to say I've been a lot more places than most australians or british people as it goes.

On the short stay, yes it is a pathetic amount of time to make a decision but I have my childrens schooling and future happiness to think about. Being in limbo is no fun for anyone nor is getting settled to once again move. When my son starts school, the area we live in will be our home. I am not one for sitting around whinging, if I am not happy I get up and do something about it. Exactly the kind of adventourous spirit that bought most of us ex pats here.

Culturally Australia is not where me or my family are at this point in our lives. If its your bag, that's great. My view is its better to have had a go than to have never tried.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Alas, I must reply to the high horsers determined to defend Australia at all costs. You are more Australian than you realise (Hold on - nothing wrong with that!)

I don't tar all Australians with the same brush, nor all areas of Australia. I am wise enough to realise that all people are not the same, it was purely our observations as your comments are your observations. My experiences and opinions are no lesser or greater than yours just different.

As for the person who says that I haven't lived anywhere than 50 miles from my birth, please! I won't go into where I have lived or travelled, but needless to say I've been a lot more places than most australians or british people as it goes.

On the short stay, yes it is a pathetic amount of time to make a decision but I have my childrens schooling and future happiness to think about. Being in limbo is no fun for anyone nor is getting settled to once again move. When my son starts school, the area we live in will be our home. I am not one for sitting around whinging, if I am not happy I get up and do something about it. Exactly the kind of adventourous spirit that bought most of us ex pats here.

Culturally Australia is not where me or my family are at this point in our lives. If its your bag, that's great. My view is its better to have had a go than to have never tried.
Hear hear, you can't say fairer than that. Well put! Good luck with planning you return.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

You have written it as though 'this is how Australia is' rather than this is OUR experience of our region of Australia. I would answer point by point to show how different our experience has been - just to give would-be immigrants an alternative view - but I don't think it would be appreciated

Any why shouldn't we 'defend' Australia is our experience was been fantastic - it is possible you know! And it doesn't make me 'Australian' - what a silly thing to say.....

Last edited by The Crow; Jul 21st 2008 at 7:49 am.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Crow
You have written it as though 'this is how Australia is' rather than this is OUR experience of our region of Australia. I would answer point by point to show how different our experience has been - just to give would-be immigrants an alternative view - but I don't think it would be appreciated

Any why shouldn't we 'defend' Australia is our experience was been fantastic - it is possible you know! And it doesn't make me 'Australian' - what a silly thing to say.....

Its called Humour - remember!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

The Aussie Govt used to make Pommie migrants stay two years otherwise they had to pay back their fares.

Everything is subjective but for me I've never met Aussies who were unpleasant to me because I was a Pommie.

Personally, I like both countries and I've actually emigrated a third time coming back to England getting used to somewhere that felt alien to me. My brother was angry when he came back to England after eight years for a visit because it felt so 'foreign' to him.

There are no rights or wrongs but it does seem sad when someone has not given a place a fair go.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
The Aussie Govt used to make Pommie migrants stay two years otherwise they had to pay back their fares.Everything is subjective but for me I've never met Aussies who were unpleasant to me because I was a Pommie.

Personally, I like both countries and I've actually emigrated a third time coming back to England getting used to somewhere that felt alien to me. My brother was angry when he came back to England after eight years for a visit because it felt so 'foreign' to him.

There are no rights or wrongs but it does seem sad when someone has not given a place a fair go.
Well that seems fair if they'd paid them in the first place.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:07 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope you're not including me in that. I'm not defending Australia at all costs, I'm just pointing out that your experience is your own and not one I have to live with... probably because we live in very different areas... as does Hutch. I don't think there's anything wrong in being 'more Australian...than (I) realise'.... I'm actually still very English and don't have my Aussie citizenship, even though I've been here over 2 years.

I don't tar all Australians with the same brush, nor all areas of Australia.
Yet you say

'If you have a good life in the UK, think very carefully before leaving it all behind to come to Australia.'
What you mean is Brisbane, surely?

And here:

'..our quality of life is considerably worse off in Australia'
Again, you mean Brisbane, right?
My experiences and opinions are no lesser or greater than yours just different.
Of course they aren't. I don't believe anyone said they were.

On the short stay, yes it is a pathetic amount of time to make a decision but I have my childrens schooling and future happiness to think about.
I was extremely happy to move my three children from the UK system. I went to a parent's evening for my 4 year old and the teacher said 'She doesn't produce a lot of work' and I said very gently, 'That's because she's 4'.
Now they're stronger, fitter, healthier, happier, less stressed (esp the middle one). Just because the little ones seem to play longer and there's less emphasis on pushing their education at age 3 and 4 doesn't mean that they're going to be disadvantaged.
Of course your 3 yr old will miss his buddies and in 6 months, he'll have a whole new set if you give him the chance. Just because it's different, it doesn't mean it's bad.
If you truly don't like the area and schools, there's opportunity to move, right? But you seem to have made your mind up after 12 weeks, which I think a bit prem... but as I said in my original post, I've seen people come and go before now in less time.

Being in limbo is no fun for anyone nor is getting settled to once again move.
No indeed. I feel your pain. That's difficult. Why not give it a bit more time then and just see if you can't think differently whilst you're here? Seems you have a lot of 'We did it this way in Cheshire and now we can't do it this way so it's shite' in your post. It's not always possible to just transplant your life... it seems maybe that possibly, there's some way you could change your life to at least enjoy the time you have here.

No? What sort of culture are you looking for? I live in a very different place and don't have a problem accessing cultural activities or meeting intelligent people, but that's my area. Is that what you mean when you say 'culturally'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.