Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

if you could take one thing !!!

Wikiposts

if you could take one thing !!!

Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light
Default if you could take one thing !!!

No matter how big or small, when you migrate, just one luxury from your homeland wherever it may be, what would it be !!

For me, it would be English Country Pub, not the Slug and Lettuce or run down one in the high street, the real country pub, i.e the coach and horses or white hart, with that old smell, lor ceilings with wooden beams, real ales and a sunday roast and pub food that was second to none but had the decor that you could imagine had not changed a whole lot since 1900.

Me and some expat mate were talking it, given there is now over 1 million supposed Brits in Australia whether a real tradtional Pommy country pub like the afforementioned would fly in Australia. Pubs in Melbourne are more like bars and the irish pubs are all predictable and look the same.. So id spend my cash on designing a country style pub with beer garden...

The UK themed pubs like Charles Dickens, and Sherlock Homles and Elephant and Wheelbarrow in Melbourne are awful IMO, sterile places that, at best could possibly not look out of place on paddington Station, but thats about it.

So, for me, its the country pub, named after something old I chose a pub because I spent time in it on a social side...

So, if you had one thing, what would it be...
Old Sep 8th 2009, 2:56 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: if you could take one thing !!!

Same for me. A nice old proper pub.

The Elephant & Wheelbarrow, etc, have as much atmosphere as those ye olde pubs in airports....
Old Sep 8th 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

The TV!

May be M&S. Can't think of anything else really.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:16 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Long summer evenings.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:34 pm
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Long summer evenings.
Ah yes.........those
Old Sep 8th 2009, 8:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Long summer evenings.
Yep, I think they'd be a winner for me too ........
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My mate. Not marmite, I love vegemite but my bestist mate in the whole wide world. Couldn't give a monkey's about anything else.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:23 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to be my gorg sis in law.. I miss her every day! (jeez, she just won't go and get her visa, the mare! LOL!)

Em x
Old Sep 9th 2009, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
No matter how big or small, when you migrate, just one luxury from your homeland wherever it may be, what would it be !!

For me, it would be English Country Pub, not the Slug and Lettuce or run down one in the high street, the real country pub, i.e the coach and horses or white hart, with that old smell, lor ceilings with wooden beams, real ales and a sunday roast and pub food that was second to none but had the decor that you could imagine had not changed a whole lot since 1900.

Me and some expat mate were talking it, given there is now over 1 million supposed Brits in Australia whether a real tradtional Pommy country pub like the afforementioned would fly in Australia. Pubs in Melbourne are more like bars and the irish pubs are all predictable and look the same.. So id spend my cash on designing a country style pub with beer garden...

The UK themed pubs like Charles Dickens, and Sherlock Homles and Elephant and Wheelbarrow in Melbourne are awful IMO, sterile places that, at best could possibly not look out of place on paddington Station, but thats about it.

So, for me, its the country pub, named after something old I chose a pub because I spent time in it on a social side...

There are a couple of nice pubs in the Dandenong Ranges
Old Sep 9th 2009, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

My Wife!

Oh, & kids too!

TD
Old Sep 9th 2009, 3:40 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sherro

I would take the whole of 'Victoria Quarter' in Leeds.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Stubbly-on-the-Minge. Soon to be Melbourne!!
Stilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the roughStilletto_rebel is a jewel in the rough

Kaiser the cat. Sorting out all his emmigration is proving more of a headache than my own is!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:00 am
Just Joined

ellieh is an unknown quantity at this point

central heating in the winter!!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:07 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, I think they'd be a winner for me too ........
Why, do they not have those in Oz? Am I being really thick here or something?!?! lol
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:16 am
Just Joined

ellieh is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know anyone here with central heating and plus in the summer we really don't need it. A lot of people have wood fires in the house and or reverse-cycle air conditioning. I don't know if it just me but I'm finding it really cold this winter but not as bad as those Scottish winters lol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.