Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If I move to Oz, what do I do with my finances in the UK

If I move to Oz, what do I do with my finances in the UK

Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Tharn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If I move to Oz, what do I do with my finances in the UK

I have several bank accounts and credit cards in the UK, if I move overseas, what happens to these? I am primarily thinking of the address linked with them, do I simply change the address to my new OZ address?, or to a PO box number?, or a family members address?

thanks in advance

T
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:44 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If I move to Oz, what do I do with my finances in the UK

Originally Posted by Tharn
I have several bank accounts and credit cards in the UK, if I move overseas, what happens to these? I am primarily thinking of the address linked with them, do I simply change the address to my new OZ address?, or to a PO box number?, or a family members address?

thanks in advance

T
DOn't have credit cards, but I just informed the bank account I decided to keep (Lloyds) of my new Australian address and that was that...

Em x
Old Aug 27th 2009, 9:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We decided to close our credit card and get an Aus one but did keep one bank account open having moved everything from other accounts into it and just changed the address with no issues. If we want to do anything with that money, we simply ring them up and they deal with it.
Old Aug 27th 2009, 10:47 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

...and remember to inform the ATO about your overseas assets.

Wouldn't want to be done for tax evasion
Old Aug 27th 2009, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

9 months in & only just dealing with the change of address with bank Knew I had other things to do than post on BE!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 12:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
...and remember to inform the ATO about your overseas assets.

Wouldn't want to be done for tax evasion
They don't need to know apart from if the assets are worth more than $50k. Also you do have to declare any interest, but who is getting much interest these days on UK bank accounts?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Why? . . . How many fiances do you have?

Whilst not strictly illegal to have more than one, I fear you're leading the poor gals on.

Oh, and you can only actually 'marry' one of them . . .
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:22 am
Just Joined

comment_vous_allez is an unknown quantity at this point

I just don't understand why people from UK are leavin their country... is UK nt good enough?
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comment_vous_allez
I just don't understand why people from UK are leavin their country... is UK nt good enough?
The grass is always greener I guess!

The UK is a great place in many respects but sometimes people are looking for something else, long or short term. It may be better weather, different lifestyle or just an adventure. Some people move because they have a relationship with someone from that country etc etc etc!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:44 am
Account Closed

No no... people just want to do different things with their lives, thats all.. theres loads of plus' and minus' for living in the UK and/or Oz... whats one man's meat is another man's poision

Em x
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by emelems
No no... people just want to do different things with their lives, thats all.. theres loads of plus' and minus' for living in the UK and/or Oz... whats one man's meat is another man's poision

Em x
ALRIGHTY, i was just wondering, some of my relatives are in England and the place is pretty awesome, except for the poor economy i suspect...
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:51 am
Account Closed

ALRIGHTY, i was just wondering, some of my relatives are in England and the place is pretty awesome, except for the poor economy i suspect...
no need to shout! Yeah.. Englands great actually, its just that I prefer Oz

Em x
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by emelems
no need to shout! Yeah.. Englands great actually, its just that I prefer Oz

Em x

sorry for d caps lock... i wasn't shoutin.. )
Old Aug 28th 2009, 7:59 am
Account Closed

sorry for d caps lock... i wasn't shoutin.. )

Em x
Old Aug 28th 2009, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Tharn is an unknown quantity at this point

UK is fine, but can be windy, rainy and cold. We're also based in London, which is a fantastic city, but now I have a young family, looking to move somewhere a bit easier. Due to it's size London can also be a little impersonal.

I used to live in San Francisco, and people would start up conversations on the bus. This would never happen in London (though probably would happen up north). So looking for somewhere a bit friendlier.

Lots of reasons to move, but of course lots of reasons to stay. The UK has some of the most beautiful countryside in the world (in my biased opinion)

On the finance front, we may well return in a year or so, I will also likely be travelling back semi-often for work, and so keen to keep up my UK CC and bank account, so not sure what to do with the address.

You know what, I might just call up the bank and ask.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.