Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

If the English national anthem is God Save the Queen

If the English national anthem is God Save the Queen

Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:04 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default If the English national anthem is God Save the Queen

Then what is the British national anthem, is there one?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If the English national anthem is God Save the Queen

Originally Posted by renth
If, unlikely I know, Scotland and Wales were in the world cup, would they all have the National Anthem of the United Kingdom or do they use some other ditty? If they use something different then England should but I don't know why they don't. Land of Hope and Glory is soooooo much more inspiring.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:38 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I think Scotland tend to use Flower of Scotland when they're in a sporting event, and Wales it'd be Land of my Fathers possibly?

When the other home nations are present, England have Land of Hope and Glory or God Save the Queen but according to this, England will have Jerusalem as it's 'victory' song at the Commonwealth Games this year.

If so, lets hope we hear it lots
Old Jun 20th 2010, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I think Scotland tend to use Flower of Scotland when they're in a sporting event, and Wales it'd be Land of my Fathers possibly?

When the other home nations are present, England have Land of Hope and Glory or God Save the Queen but according to this, England will have Jerusalem as it's 'victory' song at the Commonwealth Games this year.

If so, lets hope we hear it lots
We'll probably never know, Unless there is an international Caber tossing event or Leek rolling.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
We'll probably never know, Unless there is an international Caber tossing event or Leek rolling.
Almost as funny as England's current 'attempts' at playing football!
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Welsh National Anthem.

Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi,
Gwlad beirdd a chantorion, enwogion o fri;
Ei gwrol ryfelwyr, gwladgarwyr tra mad,
Tros ryddid collasant eu gwaed.

Cytgan
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad,
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoffbau,
O bydded i'r heniaith barhau.

Hen Gymru fynyddig, paradwys y bardd,
Pob dyffryn, pob clogwyn, i'm golwg sydd hardd;
Trwy deimlad gwladgarol, mor swynol yw si
Ei nentydd, afonydd, i mi.
Cytgan

Os treisiodd y gelyn fy ngwlad dan ei droed,
Mae hen iaith y Gymry mor fyw ag erioed,
Ni luddiwyd yr awen gan erchyll law brad,
Na thelyn berseiniol fy ngwlad.
Cytgan
Old Jun 20th 2010, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Roughly traslated to.

THE WELSH NATIONAL ANTHEM,
AN UNOFFICIAL ENGLISH VERSION

The land of my fathers, the land of my choice,
The land in which poets and minstrels rejoice;
The land whose stern warriors were true to the core,
While bleeding for freedom of yore.
Chorus
Wales! Wales! fav'rite land of Wales!
While sea her wall, may naught befall
To mar the old language of Wales.

Old mountainous Cambria, the Eden of bards,
Each hill and each valley, excite my regards;
To the ears of her patriots how charming still seems
The music that flows in her streams.
My country tho' crushed by a hostile array,
The language of Cambria lives out to this day;
The muse has eluded the traitors' foul knives,
The harp of my country survives.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm genuinely surprised that so many people don't know that Scotland and Wales don't use GSTQ as their National anthem. I know that Scotland stopped using it for football games way back in the late 1980s (?), switched to Scotland the Brave and latterly Flower o' Scotland.

I'm pretty sure that Northern Ireland still use GSTQ before international football matches.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:01 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, when England last played Scotland in the Euro 2000 playoff qualifier the Scottish crowd booed the entire God Save The Queen anthem.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:05 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Yes, when England last played Scotland in the Euro 2000 playoff qualifier the Scottish crowd booed the entire God Save The Queen anthem.
Aye but they booed ever so well,all in tune
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:31 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

God Save the Queen is the national anthem of the United Kingdom, not England. England is technically not a country (nor are Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales). In fact, up until very recently England ceased to exist as a political entity with the last act of union. It only recently came back into existence by default when teh Welsh assembly was formed as the bit that isn't defined: Northern Irealdn and Scotland are provinces, Wales is a principality, England is... the other bit.

On the other hand, God Save the Queen is sort of used by the English because no one else wants it, except for a bunch of rabid Northern Ireland monarchists.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Burbage
God Save the Queen is the national anthem of the United Kingdom, not England. England is technically not a country (nor are Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales). In fact, up until very recently England ceased to exist as a political entity with the last act of union. It only recently came back into existence by default when teh Welsh assembly was formed as the bit that isn't defined: Northern Irealdn and Scotland are provinces, Wales is a principality, England is... the other bit.

On the other hand, God Save the Queen is sort of used by the English because no one else wants it, except for a bunch of rabid Northern Ireland monarchists.
How many bites will you get with that?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:40 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Doesn't really matter, it's all true.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:42 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala
I love the 'rabid monachist's bit,but i prefer their real title,loyalistwesaynotoanyprogressandwehatecatholi csandanyoneelsewhodoesnotagreewithourpolicies scum
Old Jun 20th 2010, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Burbage

Well said beat me to the United Kingdom bit. Was waiting for a few negative posts prior to adding that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.