Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ideas for a weekend with kids in Sydney

Ideas for a weekend with kids in Sydney

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ideas for a weekend with kids in Sydney

I'm taking the family across to Sydney the last weekend in July as I'm back there on business. Having been there a couple of times we're looking for something different to do - done the zoo, botanical gardens, wandered round the Rocks and been to Darling Harbour.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions that would keep an 8 and 10 year old happy for a couple of days. It needn't be in the city, we're happy to hire a car and head off (within reason!) if there is something we should see/do.

All suggestions greatly appreciated and karma will be bestowed upon you.

Cheers
Haggis
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:09 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ideas for a weekend with kids in Sydney

Originally Posted by haggis supper
I'm taking the family across to Sydney the last weekend in July as I'm back there on business. Having been there a couple of times we're looking for something different to do - done the zoo, botanical gardens, wandered round the Rocks and been to Darling Harbour.

I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions that would keep an 8 and 10 year old happy for a couple of days. It needn't be in the city, we're happy to hire a car and head off (within reason!) if there is something we should see/do.

Cheers
Haggis
Well I was going to suggest Jamberoo Theme Park, my grand-kids love it, but I just checked their website and they are closed for the season until September 4th.

http://www.jamberoo.net/home

Karma bestowal will still be applicable as it WAS a suggestion LOL!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:23 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Haggis
Hyde Park Barracks, Sydney Olympic Park (loads of kid related stuff there, check the website) and the Powerhouse museum spring to mind. My son's the same age and he loves all the above. Oh and the Sky Tower's good fun if you haven't done it (do the virtual ride too), but don't eat up there, the cafe's shite.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 1:36 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to suggest SOP, too. The aquatic centre is very entertaining - the pools are really child-friendly. Or you can hire bikes there and go for a cycle around the place. Their school holiday program also runs in July (3-18), so there are activities like circus skills on, too.

If you wanted to head further afield, the Jenolan Caves might be worth a day trip? They also have a school holiday program running: http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/cmsAs...%20website.pdf

Or you could be completely cheesy and do Christmas in July in the Blue Mountains.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks - karma given.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:30 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

You could take them to the Apple store for the day.

------------
posted from my Iphone
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Given the constant hassling from the bairns to buy an ipad I think that could be a costly day out for me.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:52 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Given the constant hassling from the bairns to buy an ipad I think that could be a costly day out for me.
Free wi-fi though - spend as long as you like, play some games, enjoy the post-modern surroundings. It's not a bad idea as they go.