Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Iam English Because......

Iam English Because......

Old Jun 6th 2007, 8:56 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Iam English Because......

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
The problem there is that you have no resources to sell on so independence might not be so appealing
Well we did have till Maggie closed all the mines and noticed Tony didn't open them all back up.

Originally Posted by soapy

that was really funny
You're biased as you also lived in the no go area North of the great divide... we have more in common with you than them I often think although, only the women wear dresses in the North of England....
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:04 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Which is why in another post I said that I'd be very happy for the Scots to get independence.

I think that we hear lots from disgruntled Scots, Welsh and Irish about control from London. I think it's about time the English stood up for themselves, found pride in being English and not British and voted for English independence.
Indeed...!
I've always wondered why you English people haven't shown any interest in having your own parliament like the rest of us have?!?
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:11 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Well we did have till Maggie closed all the mines and noticed Tony didn't open them all back up.

You're biased as you also lived in the no go area North of the great divide... we have more in common with you than them I often think although, only the women wear dresses in the North of England....
im still laughin at it, it was class. thanks for making me laugh at this thread, it was gettin really dull
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:11 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
Indeed...!
I've always wondered why you English people haven't shown any interest in having your own parliament like the rest of us have?!?
couldnt agree more mate
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:14 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Uncle Fester
Sorry, I have to disagree. People are not 'British' - we are English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh. I for one never class myself as British, but as English. Why are we the only ones in 'the British Isles' who can't have their own national identity?
I was born in souith sheilds england brought up in scotland from the age of 2 so i class myself as British, i have strong ties with both england and scotland.

kezx
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bhoywonder
The problem there is that you have no resources to sell on so independence might not be so appealing
We get sufficient income from invisible trade (insurance, banking etc) and there is a lot of resources (natural gas) in the English sector of the North Sea
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

All this passport stuff is really confusing

My family is from Manchester but I was born in Northern Ireland so I can have a British/UK/European passport, but being born in the Island of Ireland means I can also have an Irish passport

My wife's family are from Ireland but she was born in Australia so she could have a British passport (mother born in Northern Ireland), an Irish passport (father born in Republic of Ireland), and an Australian passport as that is where she was born

So I guess its really all down to a sense of belonging, I dont feel English as I have always lived in N.Ireland, and my wife is 100% Aussie as that is where she was born and raised..In the end its doesnt really matter what passport you have

As for Parliaments , well when we have one in N.Ireland its a good thing, least we still dont have water charges and they have been put back for another year
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed...!
You mean we have a say
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

As for Parliaments , well when we have one in N.Ireland its a good thing, least we still dont have water charges and they have been put back for another year[/QUOTE]

HEAR HEAR!!! I hope to avoid these too by getting out of here befoer they take effect

Lynn xx
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

Yup us to

Last edited by Fenton; Jun 6th 2007 at 9:53 am.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fenton
All this passport stuff is really confusing

My family is from Manchester but I was born in Northern Ireland so I can have a British/UK/European passport, but being born in the Island of Ireland means I can also have an Irish passport

My wife's family are from Ireland but she was born in Australia so she could have a British passport (mother born in Northern Ireland), an Irish passport (father born in Republic of Ireland), and an Australian passport as that is where she was born

So I guess its really all down to a sense of belonging, I dont feel English as I have always lived in N.Ireland, and my wife is 100% Aussie as that is where she was born and raised..In the end its doesnt really matter what passport you have

As for Parliaments , well when we have one in N.Ireland its a good thing, least we still dont have water charges and they have been put back for another year
My brother in law was born in England to two parents from the Rep of Ireland.He has only ever lived in the U.K. When he applied for a British passport to go away with his school he was refused. They said the law had changed in 1982 that anyone born to two Irish parents was not entitled to a British passport.
Tracie
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:24 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
You mean we have a say
Of course you have.
England can have its own parliament if it wants. It just needs enough English people to ask for it which so far you haven't done!
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you have.
England can have its own parliament if it wants. It just needs enough English people to ask for it which so far you haven't done!
Yeah you're right, but we don't do we head in the sand and all that
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:36 am
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

I was born here.... n not alot of choice in that matter
but when it comes to sport....I always support England...no matter how good or bad....oh unless we don't include DC in that as I am a DC F1 fanatic
Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:40 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark FitzGerald
I support my national cricket team even after we lose. I dont mind the rain the cold or the damp it helps us blokes get laid, I drink my beer in pints because I can. I beleive football is the greatest game ever and we will win the world cup again. Anyone can draw a picture of our flag even when drunk. I know the words to my national anthem well most of them, I dislike the French ( doesnt everybody). I can get sunburnt in 5 minutes flat on a cloudy day. mmmm Still I am English and proud

But What makes you english???
My passport and birth certificate say I am but that's about it. I might support England in the cricket etc but partly cos I like the banter it creates, partly cos you don't change teams - that isn't a national loyalty only a team loyalty. I moved from the north to the midlands 18 years ago and gradually lost my allegiances with the north. It is happening again only much much faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.