Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Iam English Because......

Iam English Because......

Old Jun 10th 2007, 11:21 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iam English Because......

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2

On balance, I think that England has much more of which to be proud than ashamed.
soapy sits back with a beer and awaits the onslaught from every nationality that has been fekked over by the english
Old Jun 10th 2007, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
soapy sits back with a beer and awaits the onslaught from every nationality that has been fekked over by the english
Bring it on.

I'll await the onslaught, happy in my English supercilious smugness with which we are so justly famous!!
Old Jun 10th 2007, 1:32 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Bring it on.

I'll await the onslaught, happy in my English supercilious smugness with which we are so justly famous!!
i'll just sit back, point, and laugh
there a bit slow round here, arent they?
Old Jun 10th 2007, 1:39 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

i'll just sit back, point, and laugh
there a bit slow round here, arent they?
hello can i say hello too. is it raining there soapy. it is here in adelaide
Old Jun 10th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

ragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really nice

Now Now. If us "E N G L I S H" are going to be (as in the words of soapy)Fekked over by every nationality ,pot and kettle black comes to mind.As i wrote earlier in this thread most races( from countries down to villages) have wipped out others.i do think it is totally unfare to give the impression that its just the English (Historically) that have done bad deeds to every other race in this world.I am not going to indervidualise in people or where they were born but it is looking like a witch hunt on all Englishmen who say they are proud of their heritage.( oops sorry i am having ago at the witches now).

Oh well i'll get off my soap box
And have a nice holiday tomorrow all (except people in WA)
Old Jun 10th 2007, 10:13 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by why
hello can i say hello too. is it raining there soapy. it is here in adelaide
nah, its a tad cold, but not raining, oh and hello back
Old Jun 11th 2007, 12:20 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

'It's nae good blaming it oan the English fir colonizing us. Ah don't hate the English. They're just w******. We can't even pick a decent, healthy culture to be colonized by.' Trainspotting, Irving Welsh.

Re MartinLuther's point:

London's got it's own parliament. Do you think they'll try to get independence from the rest of England?

The Greater London Authority isn't a parliament in the sense of what the Scots have got (though it is similar to the Welsh Assembly). The London Assembly is actually a pretty toothless beast. It's main role is to 'scrutinise and hold to account' the Mayor of London and 'investigate and make recommendations' about issues affecting London. As a whole, the Greater London Authority, apart from being a great publicity machine for the Mayor of London, is a bureaucratic money-waster that has extremely limited powers to strategically manage London's growth and future prosperity for the benefit of all its citizens, the rest of the UK, and other countries that do business with it. It should either be disbanded or given sufficient powers to really run the things it is meant to be managing.

I say all this with the benefit of experience from working for the GLA. If London was to achieve independence with the people currently on the GLA gravy train in charge, it would be a disaster!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:38 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
I was born in England. A Glaswegian wouldn't say he was British anymore than someone from Cardiff so I don't understand why I can't say I am English.
Im Glaswegian and proud to be British!

Next point please!?!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:48 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Fekked over? Im sitting back with a beer waiting for the onslaught from every nationality thats fekked off with the english!

As for the point about killing aborigones ect,every nationality has mass murder on their hands,thats how the world was shaped.Today people die as countries are still at war with others and even more innocents die at the hands of terrorism,look at Israel,thats a country with non stop slaughter of innocents on boths sides.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
Im Glaswegian and proud to be British!

Next point please!?!
well bloody good for you. I haven't met that many scots in my life but everyone of them would say they were scottish before they would say they were british.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:02 am
Work to Live!

Originally Posted by northernbird
well bloody good for you. I haven't met that many scots in my life but everyone of them would say they were scottish before they would say they were british.
Not me,British 1st then Scottish,maybe thats why ive been banished to sunny Oz!,However im Scottish 1st at Hogmanay! No one parties like the Scots!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:57 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
Not me,British 1st then Scottish,maybe thats why ive been banished to sunny Oz!,However im Scottish 1st at Hogmanay! No one parties like the Scots!
Well I see by you avatar that you're obviously a Gers fan.
So am I. I was a season ticket holder, (Copeland Rear) for 11 years before I emigrated.

I'd NEVER say I was British before Scottish though.
When I went to Ibrox I was a Scotsman supporting a Scottish team.
I hated all the, "Queen" crap that went with supporting Rangers.

I don't know what it's like now but when I left, some Rangers fans who were obviously Scotsmen were wearing England tops to the games.
I can't put into words how angry I was to see this.
I have nothing against England or the English but I once told a bloke at a game that he should be ashamed of himself for wearing and England top when he was Scottish. I asked him why he was wearing it. "I don't know. I just am." he said.

I didn't bother continuing the conversation as there didn't seem much point....
Old Jun 11th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

I didn't say that I was

Didin't say I was proud of this either.

I'm still immensely proud of England's (and Britain's) history, it's influence on world history and its respect on the world stage.

All countries have dark corners and skeletons in closets - none more so than Australia through it's treatment of Aborigines and the continual dire state of the quality of life of these people whilst they live in one of the worl'd's richest countries.

On balance, I think that England has much more of which to be proud than ashamed. And that's what I like to celebrate and take pride in.
I couldnt agree more about Australia...it is shameful. This is not a competition between nations. I am not proud of this aspect of Australia's history, and I am not proud of this part of English history..as this was a human atrocity against fellow human beings. It's mass genocide no matter which way you look at it. I'd be in haste to say "oh, so and so country did this etc so it all pans out in the wash". Would I be proud of any country who commits mass genocide? Nup - no matter where I'm from. It doesnt mean I'm lingering in the past - actually I feel we should all move on and try to help others as much as possible.

I've come across a lot of people who well, um, seem too blind when it comes to their own history - Aussies and English included, but I have to say especially the English, as your sense of national identity and pride seems tied up in your history. I often hear this - they say they are very proud - I just hope they aren't looking through rose coloured glasses? Lets remember with respect the millions of people that you guys slaughtered and whose lands you invaded. In the case of Tasmania, you guys wiped out nearly an entire population - they as a peoples, became extinct. I certainly feel no pride in such events, as I'm sure you don't either.

The point being, that if you only remember the factual good and not the factual bad, than that is just plain not being factual about your own history, its only romanticising the past.

Last edited by Vegemite; Jun 11th 2007 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:25 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Vegemite
I couldnt agree more about Australia...it is shameful. This is not a competition between nations. I am not proud of this aspect of Australia's history, and I am not proud of this part of English history..as this was a human atrocity against fellow human beings. It's mass genocide no matter which way you look at it. I'd be in haste to say "oh, so and so country did this etc so it all pans out in the wash". Would I be proud of any country who commits mass genocide? Nup - no matter where I'm from. It doesnt mean I'm lingering in the past - actually I feel we should all move on and try to help others as much as possible.

I've come across a lot of people who well, um, seem too blind when it comes to their own history - Aussies and English included, but I have to say especially the English, as your sense of national identity and pride seems tied up in your history. I often hear this - they say they are very proud - I just hope they aren't looking through rose coloured glasses? Lets remember with respect the millions of people that you guys slaughtered and whose lands you invaded. In the case of Tasmania, you guys wiped out nearly an entire population - they as a peoples, became extinct. I certainly feel no pride in such events, as I'm sure you don't either.

The point being, that if you only remember the factual good and not the factual bad, than that is just plain not being factual about your own history, its only romanticising the past.
In answer to the original question as I can't be arsed to f**king go on about who did this and who did that.
I am English because I always make idle chit chat about the weather.

Who am I kidding I need to get it off my chest.

I Consider myself English as I was born here but I am also British. My Grandad was born in Scotland and his father was from Ireland, my Nana was born in lancashire and my Dads mum was from Wales.
I would like to know why is it all people from where ever they come from have every right to say they are proud to be whatever they are but heaven forbid an Englishman(or woman) say they are proud and the shit hits the fan. I don't see why people cannot just live and let live. It bugs the hell out of me, we have a really good friend of the family who is Scottish and if England are playing football he would support the opposite team, I asked him why and he said cause we hate the English, I always support another British team If England are not playing.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:35 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rebabaros
No, my partner is French

and i wish you would stop referring to being 'English' in all your posts. I am not English, i am British. There is other countries in the British Isles apart from England
I was born in Spain but grew up in Guildford, but never will i say i am English, i am British, and proud of it.
I would just like to say to you (who in my opinion opened this can of worms)its good that you are proud to be British but what right have you got to tell someone to "stop referring to being English in all your posts" why should someone not be proud of where they are from and why should they justify it to you.
End of!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.