Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Iam English Because......

Iam English Because......

Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iam English Because......

Originally Posted by Mark FitzGerald
I support my national cricket team even after we lose. I dont mind the rain the cold or the damp it helps us blokes get laid, I drink my beer in pints because I can. I beleive football is the greatest game ever and we will win the world cup again. Anyone can draw a picture of our flag even when drunk. I know the words to my national anthem well most of them, I dislike the French ( doesnt everybody). I can get sunburnt in 5 minutes flat on a cloudy day. mmmm Still I am English and proud

But What makes you english???
Everybody hates the French. What planet are you on. Substitute English for French and I'll think you've got a point:curse:
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:29 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by framac
Everybody hates the French. What planet are you on. Substitute English for French and I'll think you've got a point:curse:
I thought it was the Germans

Anyway, i say i'm English. Passport says British. Who cares. I'm here.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:42 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody hates the French.
I prefer them to the Spanish (sorry Spanish amigos)
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:49 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

The French do have "Kisses, Leon, Taxi AND Cheap Booze" in the PRO corner AND they were a handy buffer zone for all those Nazi dudes.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ransi
I prefer them to the Spanish (sorry Spanish amigos)
Are we not all Jock Thompsons bairns. That Jock stuck his boaby in a fair few holes in his day. (someone will translate later for the English gentlemen among you)
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:53 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Are we not all Jock Thompsons bairns. That Jock stuck his boaby in a fair few holes in his day. (someone will translate later for the English gentlemen among you)
Maybe I will understand after Ive had a few more wines...
Old Jun 8th 2007, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ransi
Maybe I will understand after Ive had a few more wines...
Ransi, we all bleed the same colour.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 7:16 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chels
You're just jealous
I'm not the jealous type I just like to put things into perspective. It's got me onto a few Ignore lists so far

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jun 8th 2007 at 7:20 am.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 10:29 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Why is calling someone a tosser nasty. Show me a bloke who hasn't and I'll show you one who's a liar. Nowt wrong with it is there? except that maybe they'll go blind
Braile keyboards - what an invention
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:47 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I don't quite get this -surely if the Welsh and Scottish have their own Parliament then their sitting inthe Commons *is* a duplication- or as you suggest - or by extension - the English should have their seperate Parliament too. (Whether this ends up in the Commons in London is a detail).

Or, the Commons could just be a drinking club for all pollies...(!)
That's a good idea get all teh Scotish & Welsh to resign and then it is the English parliment without loads of fuss, well thought of.

Originally Posted by Scossie
Getting back to the debate, I think that the break up of The UK is inevitable. It's already been in progress for the last few years and it's no longer a question of if it will happen but when.

Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland already have the foundations in place for when it does happen. England however does not as they have no separate government and all that goes with it.

I may be wrong but I reckon a lot of English people think that the British parliament is the English parliament! You need look no further than when the Scottish and Welsh parliaments came into being a few English MPs made complete fools of themselves by demanding that Scottish and Welsh MPs resign from Westminster! They were supposed to be intelligent people who represented thousands of constituents in The House Of Commons. The fact that they got their facts so blatantly wrong on how The UK works was ridiculous!

As I said in previous posts the sooner the English people campaign for their own parliament the better. If you don't then when The Act Of Union is repealed, and as a consequence the British government is dissolved, you'll find yourself with nobody to run your affairs.
It should just be an automatic result of the others getting there own parliment but that would be too easy.

Originally Posted by ragner
This thread has turned into Question time............................i would like to bring up the poll tax...........................let me think hhhhhmmmm..................sod it i dont live there any more so at this point in time i have no interest.

But then again i am a Londoner.......Southerner...............English... .........British...............European........... ........and hopefully in the future an adopted Aussie.I am Proud of what GREAT BRITAIN has historically but not where it is heading that is why i am here In Australia to give me and my family a better chance in life.
Been on the drink again...... you'll start a war making comments like 'I am Proud of what GREAT BRITAIN has historically but not where it is heading that is why i am here In Australia to give me and my family a better chance in life.' people get all het up if they think you are knocking UK.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
can you guys please clean the language up a bit otherwise I shall dump you in TIO!
Sorry didn't realise 'prat' was such a strong word.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
A sense of pride in England's and Britain's history. Its influence on world history, its respect on the world stage.
"The Tasmanian Aborigines were the indigenous people of the island state of Tasmania, Australia who were murdered by the europeans. (Aboriginal name: lutrawita or trouwunna)
In the space of thirty years (1803-1833), the population of the Tasmanian Aborigines was reduced from around 5,000 to around 300. Twentieth-century historians, scientists and anthropologists held that they had become extinct with the death of the last full-blooded woman Truganini in 1876. Many still hold this view especially outside of Australia."

Why are you so proud of this?

"In 1842 on the outskirts of Kilcoy Station owned by MacKenzie, 30-60 Native Aborigines of the Kabi Kabi (or gubi gubi) died from eating flour laced with strychnine or arsenic. The Mackenzies were admonished for this mass killing by attorney-General John Hubert Plunkett (1802 - 1869), who threatened prosecution if an official complaint was lodged. Up until the early 1990s Evan Mackenzie, the station owner, was a prime suspect but recent research suggests that he himself was probably not responsible for the massacre, since he was in Sydney at the time. Though MacKenzie's involvemnet was never verified, this incident was mentioned in a select committee in 1861 and repeated by W. Coote in 1867. The English overseer disappeared upon Mackenzie returning. Mackenzie organised the conspiracy of silence to protect the Englishman. This is one of many massacres that were perpetrated by the white settlers of the area".

So proud.......

It's good to be proud of your history...but please dont be so one eyed about it. They say history is always written by victors.

Last edited by Vegemite; Jun 8th 2007 at 1:55 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

ragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really niceragner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vegemite
"The Tasmanian Aborigines were the indigenous people of the island state of Tasmania, Australia who were murdered by the europeans. (Aboriginal name: lutrawita or trouwunna)
In the space of thirty years (1803-1833), the population of the Tasmanian Aborigines was reduced from around 5,000 to around 300. Twentieth-century historians, scientists and anthropologists held that they had become extinct with the death of the last full-blooded woman Truganini in 1876. Many still hold this view especially outside of Australia."

"In 1842 on the outskirts of Kilcoy Station owned by MacKenzie, 30-60 Native Aborigines of the Kabi Kabi (or gubi gubi) died from eating flour laced with strychnine or arsenic. The Mackenzies were admonished for this mass killing by attorney-General John Hubert Plunkett (1802 - 1869), who threatened prosecution if an official complaint was lodged. Up until the early 1990s Evan Mackenzie, the station owner, was a prime suspect but recent research suggests that he himself was probably not responsible for the massacre, since he was in Sydney at the time. Though MacKenzie's involvemnet was never verified, this incident was mentioned in a select committee in 1861 and repeated by W. Coote in 1867. The English overseer disappeared upon Mackenzie returning. Mackenzie organised the conspiracy of silence to protect the Englishman. This is one of many massacres that were perpetrated by the white settlers of the area".

So proud.......

It's good to be proud of your history...but please dont be so one eyed about it. They say history is always written by victors.
now if look into history almost all races have killed murdered maimed other races.I am not condoning what our ancestors done to alot of indigenous people through out the world but it wasn't just the English or British that carried this out,some European races virtually wiped out races on some continents.i will never shy away from my countries historical events and what they did(but i don't agree with their actions either) but that was in the past and that is where it should stay as most countries have skeletons in their cupboards aswell.

I am proud to be ENGLISH and its history but i am alot happier here in Oz.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by ragner
now if look into history almost all races have killed murdered maimed other races.I am not condoning what our ancestors done to alot of indigenous people through out the world but it wasn't just the English or British that carried this out,some European races virtually wiped out races on some continents.i will never shy away from my countries historical events and what they did(but i don't agree with their actions either) but that was in the past and that is where it should stay as most countries have skeletons in their cupboards aswell.

I am proud to be ENGLISH and its history but i am alot happier here in Oz.
Quite agree, if you look world wide death and mass slaughter have been a factor of almost most countries development. It's just as well America like Australia is a new country as could you imagine the carnage Bush would have caused a few hundered years ago.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

In the space of thirty years (1803-1833), the population of the Tasmanian Aborigines was reduced from around 5,000 to around 300. Twentieth-century historians, scientists and anthropologists held that they had become extinct with the death of the last full-blooded woman Truganini in 1876. Many still hold this view especially outside of Australia

I didn't say that I was

"

So proud.......

Didin't say I was proud of this either.

I'm still immensely proud of England's (and Britain's) history, it's influence on world history and its respect on the world stage.

All countries have dark corners and skeletons in closets - none more so than Australia through it's treatment of Aborigines and the continual dire state of the quality of life of these people whilst they live in one of the worl'd's richest countries.

On balance, I think that England has much more of which to be proud than ashamed. And that's what I like to celebrate and take pride in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.