I want to go home

Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:22 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to go home

Originally Posted by Sue
You don't walk in her shoes. Culture shock, no matter how much you think you have prepared, can hit really hard.
I've never looked good in either court shoes or heels
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold

I was quite similar to you but went to canada, I think before we left the UK i knew that i didn't really want to go but once the ball's rolling it kind of bowls you over and you feel that your going with the flow, it'll be alright once you get there, well for me it wasn't alright, i put on a brave face because i thought i would be letting hubby and the kids down, so i got on with it stiff upper lip, well that stiff upper lip started slipping and something had to give, i eventually started telling the friends I'd made how i felt, they we're very supportive once i discussed it with my husband we both found out we we're putting a brave face on for each other. we stayed three months in canada, yes we lost a lot, we got our pet back on Friday we are all back and happier than ever, a very wise person once told me emigrating not for everyone, she was so right.
good luck darling talk to your man
Shelly x
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scared
I know we 've been here under 3 weeks and that's just not lnog enought I know to give the country a go. We planned for this to be our new life but I'm finding things just too hard. My partner loves it here and is so interested in his job. I've also got a teaching job starting in a couple of weeks. The animals are in quaratine for a couple of weeks. I know I should give it a go but I'm just so unhappy and have lost all of my confidence I just don't know what to do anymore. My partner says I would be walking out on him but it's not that. I love him so much I just can't do the Australia thing but didn't realise this really till I got here. The only way I can stay is if I think I'm going home at the end of the year. How do we go about shipping pets back to the UK - they have pet passports but no rabies vaccinations as that was not a requirement for Australia. Advice and help needed please. :scared:

Hi

Sorry to hear about the way you are feeling.

Where about are staying.

Use the forum anytime you are feeling down thats what we are here for.

Beth
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:43 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

I know we 've been here under 3 weeks and that's just not lnog enought I know to give the country a go. We planned for this to be our new life but I'm finding things just too hard. My partner loves it here and is so interested in his job. I've also got a teaching job starting in a couple of weeks. The animals are in quaratine for a couple of weeks. I know I should give it a go but I'm just so unhappy and have lost all of my confidence I just don't know what to do anymore. My partner says I would be walking out on him but it's not that. I love him so much I just can't do the Australia thing but didn't realise this really till I got here. The only way I can stay is if I think I'm going home at the end of the year. How do we go about shipping pets back to the UK - they have pet passports but no rabies vaccinations as that was not a requirement for Australia. Advice and help needed please. :scared:
Hi I've posted this link before but hope it is of some help,

http://www.doctortravel.ca/culture_shock.asp

try not to give in yet, you've been through such a lot to get out there
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:50 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

You haven't lost your confidence you are simply nervous as to how you will be accepted by Australians. You start your new job soon and naturally are anxious like everyone else who is about to begin a new job. What may make it worse is the added anxiety of knowing that you are "different" and may not fit in while the contrary is the reality. People love meeting a new colleague in work who's not from "around here", you'll find yourself immediately popular especially in the teaching profession where there is always a genuine interest in cultural / geographical differences between staff.
I think you will quickly find new friends in work as well as others who will make an extra effort to be friendly because they know that you would be feeling a bit anxious.
If you believe the way you could stay is if you know you're leaving at the end of the year well just hold on to that mindset and give it that time. Dont get yourself a ticket though since you may find yourself growing to love your new life in Australia.
Good luck to you and your husband
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:01 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Scared,

Where in Oz are you?

Paul.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I want to go home

3 weeks may seem a little over 2 weeks which is the basis of a European holiday…….not knocking this at all.

However, the least time that I am aware of is 2.5 days in New Zealand…………then the person went “home.”

In the words of Vince Martin……."Beat that!”.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:10 pm
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
3 weeks may seem a little over 2 weeks which is the basis of a European holiday…….not knocking this at all.

However, the least time that I am aware of is 2.5 days in New Zealand…………then the person went “home.”

In the words of Vince Martin……."Beat that!”.
The apron strings must have spanned a few thousand miles
Old Jan 15th 2006, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

I know how you feel, I have gone through more emotions here in 4 months than i have gone through in my life. I still wonder why my husbands stil here, Cause he has had a dogs life. I know with sticking with it, Its getting better and my confidence is coming back. Hopefully next time it will be you giving out advice to someone feeling the same way as you. Good luck.
Suzanne
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:00 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: I want to go home

hi,

I've yet to be homesick but have known friends/family go thru it. I can speak from experience and say what a huge step it is to move (this isn't our first time). No one can get you thru this but don't think of it as forever cos it doesn't have to be. It is a fantastic adventure and take it week by week, or day by day if necessary. Be good to yourself, not hard on yourself. No matter how alien or down you feel join in with something, anything. A sport club, a short pottery course, sea weed knitting. Having something to do kills time and stops you dwelling on the negative. As someone already said getting out to work starts the process of settling and feeling not totally alone. nothing can be a miracle cure just don't be hard on yourself.

Fingers crossed things work out for you to make you happy,

Phil x
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there sometimes it is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when everything feels out of control. You have a teaching job to go to but I must admit that I would be feeling the same travelling half way around the world and knowing that I am going to have to walk into a classroom of kids no matter how much I love teaching. I have to do my diploma to be able to teach here and will apply to start that in 2007 and I am glad in a way that I will have that time to get my head around it all. No matter how confident I was in the UK with the stress of moving here I would have had serious difficulties in throwing myself into a teaching job straight away. What age will you be teaching? Where are you in Australia?
Pm me if you fancy a chat. I have been here 3 months now and am finding the summer holidays difficult with 4 kids, the routines that I had built up to get me through the day have disappeared and it is all a lot harder.
Keep going.
Nicky
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say I felt exactly the same when I arrived as well. My partner was working straight away when we got here and I had 3 weeks of doing nothing. Even though the language is the same and you drive on the same side of the road a trip to coles made me feel scared and uncomfortable. Just asking for a coffee was an adventure. Please try and stick it out though, 3 weeks is not long at all and after 2 years I'm much happier. I will always look forward to my next trips home to the UK and they do keep me going but life here is really good as well
If you're in Melbourne then it would be great to meet for a coffee or a drink some time if you'd like to
Stick it out - once you start work and have you home comforts with you things will seem better I promise!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:25 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Poor you, feeling like this, but you have got lots to look forward to over the coming few weeks that should help you settle - a loved pet coming out of quarantine and a new job. I know you are probably feeling nervous about the job but the pure fact that it will allow you to integrate with people in your local community will help, believe me. I am not working as I have three young (ish) children to look after but once they started school and both they and I started to meet people and make friends that really turned the corner for us.

I have had days too that I have not felt so bright (we have been in Sydney for nearly 3 months) but try and think positive and give it time and I hope things get better for you. See you've made lots of friends on here already just for being brave enough to speak your mind! Whether you are in Sydney or somewhere else there are loads of us out here in similar positions who would be only too happy to meet up for a coffee and a chat. Take one of us up on the offer.

Keep your chin up.

Binbird
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Yeah, but come on - 3 weeks and not settled - of course!!! anyone expecting to be 'settled' in 3 weeks would be off the mark I think (although there will be exceptions) but it takes ages to go through the process of emigrating - you've had ages to think it through, apply etc, but you want to chuck it after 3 weeks???

I stand by my original comment and will take it on the chin for those who don't agree. All of this 'there, there, there' doesn't really help does it - if she's like this after 3 weeks then maybe going back to the Uk is the thing to do. I don't like to see anyone fail in anything, but let's put all the touchy feely stuff to one side and say that 3 weeks is nowhere near long eough to say "well I gave it a go" Fair enough in 12 months or so if it's stil not working you can say that.
he's got a point, to be honest. What scared needs is support, but she needs to be a bit more positive! 3 weeks is long enough just to get over jetlag! If you seriously feel like this then you shouldn't have left your comfort zone!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

I feel the previous posts are covering your moving shock, so I'll just try to answer this question;

How do we go about shipping pets back to the UK - they have pet passports but no rabies vaccinations as that was not a requirement for Australia. Advice and help needed please. :scared:
Cannot have a 'Pet Passport' without a current rabies vaccination [it is invalidated and would require new blood tests].

However the last booster may still be valid - I cannot tell without brand and date - most UK vaccines are 2-3yrs between jabs, so if the prev jab is less than 2yrs old you should still be able to travel under PETS without quarantine.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm [Check here for import requirements/applications]

Shipping methods are v similar - search prev. threads.

Need more info PM or shout.

Clinical bit over. Give yourself time to make this decision. I wish you the best in whatever you decide, G.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.