Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I tried to give blood today......

I tried to give blood today......

Old Dec 13th 2007, 7:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I tried to give blood today......

Because CJD (mad cow) can take years to show up in your blood.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

With all the pomms in perth I'm surprised they have any blood at all really.....
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:19 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Must be coming from all the Canadians then! Apparently Canadian blood is acceptable If only I could get my husband to go too. He's O- and refuses to go, so I'm still working on him.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

spaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to all
Smile Re: I tried to give blood today......

At this time they can not detect if you have mad cow disease or not!!!!! That is why Australia is playing it safe......obviously here they not so fussy!!!!
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

helen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura abouthelen/andy has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: I tried to give blood today......

Hi I work on one of the blood vans, and am a Mad Cow so cant donate either,it takes 30 years to develop symptoms of CJD,and at present there is no screening test available to exclude this risk.
The UK import lots of products from overseas as a pose to Australia who are self sufficient and is one of the worlds most safest blood collection systems,which is good to know as we are all potential users.
So all us mad cows cant donate but we could encourage our mates who can!!
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:16 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea - none of us expats can contribute. For that matter, nor can anyone who lived in the UK (no matter how briefly) during the mad now 'era'.
I donate once a month in Melbourne.

Us Paddys were never branded with that Mad Cow thing :-)
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
According to something written in 2000 that I can't be bothered to verify as current ....

------------------------
The Service has introduced a deferral policy for blood donors who have spent a cumulative period of 6 months in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, the Channel Islands or Isle of Man between 1 January 1980 and 31 December 1996. This also includes those who are vegetarians.
Well, I will verify it for you Vim ! Here's the current policy....

Currently we exclude people from donating who:

Have resided in the UK between 1980 and 1996 for a total (cumulative) time of 6 months or more,

or

Have received blood transfusions in the UK since 1 January 1980.

Note: The Republic of Ireland is not part of the U.K, so never any problem with giving green blood :-)
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:30 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy
I donate once a month in Melbourne.

Us Paddys were never branded with that Mad Cow thing
You wouldn't be able to in the USA - here they won't let you donate blood if you've spent up to 5 years in any part of Europe (6 months in most of western Europe).
Old Dec 14th 2007, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by elfman
You wouldn't be able to in the USA - here they won't let you donate blood if you've spent up to 5 years in any part of Europe (6 months in most of western Europe).
True. The USA introduced that ruling in in May 2002.
Their loss !
Old Dec 15th 2007, 12:02 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by @boy
Well, I will verify it for you Vim ! Here's the current policy....

Currently we exclude people from donating who:

Have resided in the UK between 1980 and 1996 for a total (cumulative) time of 6 months or more,

or

Have received blood transfusions in the UK since 1 January 1980.

Note: The Republic of Ireland is not part of the U.K, so never any problem with giving green blood :-)
Ta very much, no worries about Mad Guinness/Jameson Disease then
Old Dec 15th 2007, 12:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of intersting previous debates on the subject HERE- and HERE
and there are others as well if you do a search on blood donor. It's been discussed at length over the years and there's some interesting info in there (if you're a vampire, into that whole blood scene )
Old Dec 15th 2007, 12:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Don't tell'em you lived in the UK between these dates.

Problem solved.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 12:38 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by comet555
Must be coming from all the Canadians then! Apparently Canadian blood is acceptable If only I could get my husband to go too. He's O- and refuses to go, so I'm still working on him.
If you could get your hubby to donate some of his - just incase I need it!!!

I'd love to donate some of my rare blood.. but alas I might have the old CJD so I'm gonna have to keep it all for myself...

made me laugh the bit about vegetarians not being allowed to donate either.. the trouble is that vegetarians are so feeble anyway that if you took any blood from them, it would probably spell the end!

Sonic x
(keeping all her O- blood)
Old Dec 15th 2007, 2:46 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

My husbands brother has lived in Oz for 22 years...he used to donate for about 18 years and then they told him he cant anymore!
Old Dec 15th 2007, 6:20 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Don't tell'em you lived in the UK between these dates.

Problem solved.
I'm guessing that would legally be a pretty bad moooooove ... why not just let the AIDs carriers have a go too?