Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I should be happy, but why do I feel like this....

I should be happy, but why do I feel like this....

Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default I should be happy, but why do I feel like this....

We have been here for just under 6 months, But my OH couldn’t get job, he was too specialize for SA market that’s what all the agencies he went to said, & all the interviewed he had, they would say to him we know you can do this job standing on your head, but we fear you wont stay here long & get bored.
Chris always use to say I wont get bored give me the job I’ll stay, he applied to so many agencies, not once but 2 or 3 times over the last 5 months, applied for well over 100 jobs, he applied for the job which wasn’t even in his field, he was introduce to see the top man in engineering field in SA.
He couldn’t find him any jobs either, he said to him you are like large fish in a small bowl over here.
Chris never thought he's job was too specialize, when we were back in UK.
OH advertise himself in an engineering magazine & bang he gets call from this company in QLD, that you are exactly what we have been looking for, he had telephone interview while I was in the hospital, then they say we want to see you in person, so they had to wait for me to come out of hospital, & be a bit stronger before Chris could fly out there, well he went they offered him the job on the spot.
As I need more operation they even told him you can have slow start, your family comes first, then the job.
But why am I not happy, I love Adelaide, it feels like home, I've made so many friends, I should be happy that he’s got job now, I don’t know if my feelings is normal.
I think I need help,

Last edited by chris and farideh; Aug 25th 2007 at 3:48 am.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I should be happy, but why do I feel like this....

Don't beat yourself up over it. What you've been through is enough to finish most people off, Chris struggling to find work must have been tough. It will be a huge upheaval, you wouldn't be normal not to be panicking about it. Whereabouts in QLD? It's fab up here and loads of lovely people up and down the coast.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:10 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
We have been here for just under 6 months, But my OH couldn’t get job, he was too specialize for SA market that’s what all the agencies he went to said, & all the interviewed he had, they would say to him we know you can do this job standing on your head, but we fear you wont stay here long & get bored.
Chris always use to say I wont get bored give me the job I’ll stay, he applied to so many agencies, not once but 2 or 3 times over the last 5 months, applied for well over 100 jobs, he applied for the job which wasn’t even in his field, he was introduce to see the top man in engineering field in SA.
He couldn’t find him any jobs either, he said to him you are like large fish in a small ball over here.
OH advertise himself in an engineering magazine & bang he gets call from this company in QLD, that you are exactly what we have been looking for, he had telephone interview while I was in the hospital, then they say we want to see you in person, so they had to wait for me to come out of hospital, & be a bit stronger before Chris could fly out there, well he went they offered him the job on the spot.
As I need more operation they even told him you can have slow start, your family comes first, then the job.
But why am I not happy, I love Adelaide, it feels like home, I've made so many friends, I should be happy that he’s got job now, I don’t know if my feelings is normal.
I think I need help,
so glad to hear that things are finally looking up for you both. Especially after what you have been through.

I think you are feeling the way you are is because of everything that has happened. It will take a while before you may feel any enthusiasm about anything but it should pass. It may take a while.

It's normal as far as i know. You have both been down for so long (and with good reason) it will take a while to feel yourself and excited about things again. Try not to let this feeling get to you too much though, just take it one day at a time.

good luck to both of you x
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:40 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

It's perfectly normal especially given all that you've gone through. It's a pity you aren't at your fittest to travel up cause you would be able to see for yourself what it's like up here. It has (and probably still is) taking a bit of getting used to. Qld is different but in a kinda nice way. Laid back (again takes some getting used to) but it grows on you.

I hope that you and yours can come to some kind of decision that suits you all. It's probably a bit like emigrating all over again only interstate.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

He couldn’t find him any jobs either, he said to him you are like large fish in a small ball over here.
I think I need help,
In engineering, WA and Qld rule. These states have the jobs and the money. The rest of the country, with the exception of the NT, does not come close for engineering opportunities.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:47 am
Caroline

Caroline B is on a distinguished road

I loved Adelaide when i came to visit in 2003 and always wanted to live there. It's a beautiful place. But when I got a job in Oz they didn't have an office in Adelaide, so I chose to come to Brisbane. I am so glad I chose Brisbane - it's a great place to live, and the people are very friendly. I am sure you will come to love QLD too.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:31 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

God, Farideh, I really feel for you. You've been through hell and back phsyically on top of all the other things you've experienced whilst trying to settle here.
All that stress does horrid things to you, your adrenal system, your immune system...
Perhaps this is a really good opportunity for you both to start fresh,... the warmer climate might really help you recover physically, and your other half with the new job is the break he needs to get into his industry here...

It's hard but don't look on this as a negative thing... look forward to things improving, to feeling better, to a better standard of living, to more fun, friends and all the benefits living in Queensland offers...

xxx
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Farideh,

As much as I hate the thought of you moving all that way, I think this is a great opportunity for you guys. You should grab it with both hands mate.

I will come and see you up there sometime, and you'll have no trouble finding mates - you're a great lady.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 1:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Listen, Farideh, as much as I loved all you guys and my house and job in Adelaide, Perth is wonderful. It's just so good to see my OH in a job he loves. After 9 months of unemployment he was really depressed even though he would never have admitted it. For some men being without work makes them feel they are not providing and it can really get them down. I think you and your family should take this opportunity and start fresh in Qld. The warm sunshine will do you good and I'm sure you will meet lots of nice people there.
As someone who's been through it I can really relate to what you're going through. Don't worry, though. You've got a husband who loves you to bits and nice kids so you'll be fine wherever you go.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Don't beat yourself up over it. What you've been through is enough to finish most people off, Chris struggling to find work must have been tough. It will be a huge upheaval, you wouldn't be normal not to be panicking about it. Whereabouts in QLD? It's fab up here and loads of lovely people up and down the coast.
Alexandra Hill is were he's office is based, about 20 mins away from brisbane.
It was very difficult for him as he never been unemployed in his life, but in funny way it was the best thing as well, while I was very sick in hospital & at home for him to be around me & the kids, funny how things turns up in your life.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

He couldn’t find him any jobs either, he said to him you are like large fish in a small bowl over here.
I think I need help,
Lots of us up here and Queensland and we'll all give you a helping hand - whereabouts is the job? Is it Brisbane or elsewhere?

Edit - your post crossed with mine! Lots of posters around that area
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
so glad to hear that things are finally looking up for you both. Especially after what you have been through.

I think you are feeling the way you are is because of everything that has happened. It will take a while before you may feel any enthusiasm about anything but it should pass. It may take a while.

It's normal as far as i know. You have both been down for so long (and with good reason) it will take a while to feel yourself and excited about things again. Try not to let this feeling get to you too much though, just take it one day at a time.

good luck to both of you x
You are so right there, it seems every thing is happening so fast, I still have another op to go through in couple weeks time, I dont know the outcome of that yet, whether I'll be back to normal or not, then I have to think about all the things like, looking for schools, finding a place to live.
So scary, I wasnt half scared moving half way around the world, now I worried about what if the kids hate their new school, silly things like that.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Lots of us up here and Queensland and we'll all give you a helping hand - whereabouts is the job? Is it Brisbane or elsewhere?

Edit - your post crossed with mine! Lots of posters around that area
Thank you Pollyana, I'll be asking loads of questions, still I'm trying to digest the news, it is scary, as I have no knowledge of brisbane, or I should say Alexandra Hill area, dont know if its nice around there, its so much to do in such little time.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stitch
It's perfectly normal especially given all that you've gone through. It's a pity you aren't at your fittest to travel up cause you would be able to see for yourself what it's like up here. It has (and probably still is) taking a bit of getting used to. Qld is different but in a kinda nice way. Laid back (again takes some getting used to) but it grows on you.

I hope that you and yours can come to some kind of decision that suits you all. It's probably a bit like emigrating all over again only interstate.

Cheers

Ginny
I'm hoping to get chance to come maybe for a few days visit, before my next op which is on the 12 of sept, but i have to do a few hospital visit in between.
The problem is my eldest he's in year 11 & already chosen the subject that he wants to do for he's year 12, I'm worried the colleges might not do the same subject or tell us they are full & cant take him.
Worrying time, we dont want to mess him about either, it never rains in my life it always pours.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:27 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping to get chance to come maybe for a few days visit, before my next op which is on the 12 of sept, but i have to do a few hospital visit in between.
The problem is my eldest he's in year 11 & already chosen the subject that he wants to do for he's year 12, I'm worried the colleges might not do the same subject or tell us they are full & cant take him.
Worrying time, we dont want to mess him about either, it never rains in my life it always pours.
It's hard especially when they are at that age. Here's the link to Qld Education. You can get the list of schools off there. Most have their own website.

http://education.qld.gov.au/

We're around Alex Hills/Bayside area. If there's anything you need to know just shout.

Cheers

Ginnny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.