Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I resigned from my perfect job...

Wikiposts

I resigned from my perfect job...

Old May 12th 2008, 8:44 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I resigned from my perfect job...

Originally Posted by eddie007

My 9-5 job had turned into 6 - 8 and with 24/7 oncall 12 days out of 14 and REGULAR phone calls at night/ weekends.... and an hour travelling each way... it really was NOT viable...

not with a family,

Its not why we came here

I don't mind working hard, but it was the 'expectation' that no matter how many hours it took.. I would stay and do it..

I was the facility manager and yet in the week before last I worked 1 RN shift, 2 PCA shifts and a Kitchen shift... as well as my own job... which is heavy enough as it is ..

"management" response? to my requests for staff... "if you choose to work on the floor that is ok, but you still at the end of the day have your own job to do"

No regular staff, staff cancelling at short or no notice, agency staff turning up and only doing 'half' the job but being paid much much more than the FM?

CHOOSE? Do I let people starve becasue there is no one in the kitchen for the teatime shift? or stay and do it myself?

Do I let a 'short staff' work to exhaustion becasue we can't get staff? or do I muck in and make sure standards don't slip?

Do I walk away from a facility which legally requires qualified staff on duty when there is none? or stay myself... becasue I AM qualified?

There is more to this, but right now I am feeling pretty chewed up and spat out..

So I resigned and today join the land of the lliving again... No more weekends on BE becasue I can't go out becasue I'm on call, no more can't sleep and so get up and go to work at 2.30 in the morning, simply because I KNOW there is too much for one person to do and at least if staff don't expect me on site they don't disturb me...

No more crap.

I even started smoking 3 weeks ago, after over 8 years of being nicotine free.. So the job really was 'killing me'

Haven't had time to meet/ coffee/ contact friends... too tired to cope with HIM & the Kids... not good...

I'm off to do despised 'agency' work, so I get paid a small fortune for doing very little... choose when I work and at the end of the day I walk away with no worries...

That's the theory anyway...
Quite typical of Aussie employers IMHO!
I agree with your sentiment, 'it's not why we came out here' - likewise!
Still, onwards and upwards - the search must continue!!
Old May 12th 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

I hate it when we live for work rather than work to live - good for you doing something about it. .
Old May 12th 2008, 9:11 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

It's a bloody bugger being a nurse, isn't it? it's so easy to get taken advantage of because we hate walking off the ward when we know people are in need.

Having said that, I was in a similar situation working for the NHS here; if you don't volunteer for all the understaffed shifts, you're seen by management as not being a team worker & supporting your colleagues - it can be a pretty sh*tey attitude & that's not even considering the pressure to work Christmas & holidays.

Anyway, I got out & am currently on a career break until November, but I know already that there's no way I'm going back - I can totally understand how you've been feeling.

Best of luck with finding something that gives you a lot more space & time - as you say, you didn't move all the way to Oz just to be treated like that.

Keep smiling
Old May 12th 2008, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

bithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nicebithbheo is just really nice

oh dear sounds like you have experienced the world of aged care clinical/facility management....just about everyone I know working that position has the same experience.....the "BIG"bosses know you will fill in the gaps yourselves or see your facility accreditation go down the tubes.....and they know nurses have a strong moral responsibility and abuse it time and time again...I left aged care management for the same reasons and am now happy working back on the floor well away from aged care....Good on you for getting out...may you find the perfect job....even train for differant area
Old May 12th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I too quit my job yesterday.Been there only three weeks.I wanted 15 to 20 hours but all i got were six hours work spread over two days.Ive been in catering forever. I really couldnt cope with my supervisor being 17 and an 18 year old calling me sweetheart.Its back to the drawing board for me.