Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I was one of the 1074 caught by the new camera

I was one of the 1074 caught by the new camera

Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:41 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I was one of the 1074 caught by the new camera

As I have already said it comes down to the situation, weather conditions, traffic etc. If some is doing 10k's over the limit on a highway with little traffic it would be commonsense to think they weren't a dangerous menace. If someone is doing 10k's over on a busy, wet highway then the situation is very different.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:54 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
As I have already said it comes down to the situation, weather conditions, traffic etc. If some is doing 10k's over the limit on a highway with little traffic it would be commonsense to think they weren't a dangerous menace. If someone is doing 10k's over on a busy, wet highway then the situation is very different.
Okay. The only time I've ever been stopped speeding ever, was in Vic a couple of years ago. I completely missed the sign and the road conditions didn't change. I was 16kph over and the copper let me off. Would that be the common sense you say they don't have here?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

As a point of interest it is worth noting where Australia sits against Germany on this "league table"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

"The German autobahns are famous for being some of the few public roads in the world without blanket speed limits for cars and motorcycles"

Good or Bad? Just throwing it out there

On another point, always found it strange why Aussie news agencies love a good table when it comes to road fatalities around holiday times.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

They need to be tough on speeding here as the rest of the driving standards are so poor! Tailgating is the absolute norm, as is cutting straight in front of people with mm to spare. There ARE accidents all the time. The faster people are going, the more damage is going to happen.

I have never had a ticket in my life. I have had one person hit me here. A car pulled out without looking two infront of me. Car in front of me had to swerve into the other lane to miss hitting her. I stopped short of her and a truck (a good five seconds later) went straight into the back of me. The reason? He was not paying enough attention and was too close.
Had I been speeding I would have hit the woman, and there would have been lots of arguing insurance companies. As it was, he hit me and was 100% in the wrong, even though the whole thing was caused by some stupid woman.

No matter how safe YOU think you are, at any speed, you have to take into account the amount of morons on the road.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
Okay. The only time I've ever been stopped speeding ever, was in Vic a couple of years ago. I completely missed the sign and the road conditions didn't change. I was 16kph over and the copper let me off. Would that be the common sense you say they don't have here?
I'm not sure about other states, but here in sa the speed signs are shockingly bad out of suburbia. You can be on a 50km road, and turn onto an 80/100/110km road, but there are no signs at all to let you know which one. It is like they expect everyone to be from that area and know the road limits already. I have pissed many other road users off I am sure by driving at the last speed limit sign I have seen as there are no other indicators anywhere (and I am 100% on this, I haven't missed them).
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:53 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I know you are just itching for an argument Obviously again commonsense would tell us that not all cops here don't practise it and all cops in the UK do.

Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:21 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I'm not sure about other states, but here in sa the speed signs are shockingly bad out of suburbia. You can be on a 50km road, and turn onto an 80/100/110km road, but there are no signs at all to let you know which one. It is like they expect everyone to be from that area and know the road limits already. I have pissed many other road users off I am sure by driving at the last speed limit sign I have seen as there are no other indicators anywhere (and I am 100% on this, I haven't missed them).
I agree. I think I mentioned it in another thread but Aus uses default speed limits (similar to France) and you're supposed to assume the speed limit a lot of the time. You also get inconsistent signage and nowadays quite a few asymmetric speed limits (where it's say 60 in one direction and 80 in the other).
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:22 am
Rhino with a big horn!

I know you are just itching for an argument Obviously again commonsense would tell us that not all cops here don't practise it and all cops in the UK do.
Interesting conclusion. All UK cops practice common sense

Not sure about the itching for an argument thing. I thought it was just a discussion.

Last edited by Rambi; Sep 11th 2011 at 2:26 am.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:40 am
Banned

Read it again and refer back to my words 'not all cops' then apply what I said to each country. In summary NOT ALL COPS in Australia don't apply commonsense and NOT ALL COPS in the UK DO apply it.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:47 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
They need to be tough on speeding here as the rest of the driving standards are so poor! Tailgating is the absolute norm, as is cutting straight in front of people with mm to spare. There ARE accidents all the time. The faster people are going, the more damage is going to happen.

I have never had a ticket in my life. I have had one person hit me here. A car pulled out without looking two infront of me. Car in front of me had to swerve into the other lane to miss hitting her. I stopped short of her and a truck (a good five seconds later) went straight into the back of me. The reason? He was not paying enough attention and was too close.
Had I been speeding I would have hit the woman, and there would have been lots of arguing insurance companies. As it was, he hit me and was 100% in the wrong, even though the whole thing was caused by some stupid woman.

No matter how safe YOU think you are, at any speed, you have to take into account the amount of morons on the road.
Well said, let's face it, speed is a factor in every accident in some way.

So, if someone gets pinged for doing 'only' 7km over the limit then maybe a few points and a fine might get them to pay attention in the future.

I've got no sympathy with them ... speed, get caught, suck it down (or up), thanks for the revenue.

The majority of people speeding out there are just ignorant and selfish and should be taken down a peg or two every now and again.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:57 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Read it again and refer back to my words 'not all cops' then apply what I said to each country. In summary NOT ALL COPS in Australia don't apply commonsense and NOT ALL COPS in the UK DO apply it.
I agree it was badly written and hence introduced an ambiguity which could have been easily removed by adding a helpful negation after the "and" as you have now demonstrated with hindsight.

"Obviously again commonsense would tell us that not all cops here don't practise it and all cops in the UK do".

Last edited by Rambi; Sep 11th 2011 at 5:00 am.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 4:59 am
Banned

I would love to visit this wonderful warm fuzzy world some on here live in, not stay there but visit.
I certainly don't want any sympathy, I fully realize that the vast majority of fines are about revenue and have little to do with safety. I have enough friends in the Police farce to verify that.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:02 am
Banned

I didn't say it was badly written, it seemed to be perfectly understandable but yes for the pedantic 'and' could have been added.

I agree it was badly written and hence introduced an ambiguity which could have been easily removed by adding a helpful negation after the "and" as you have now demonstrated.

"Obviously again commonsense would tell us that not all cops here don't practise it and all cops in the UK do".
Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Old Sep 11th 2011, 5:08 am
Rhino with a big horn!

I didn't say it was badly written, it seemed to be perfectly understandable but yes for the pedantic 'and' could have been added.
A "not" would have been more useful.

Nothing pedantic. It was an ambiguous sentence. Plain and simple. And the reader has no control over that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.