Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I was one of the 1074 caught by the new camera

I was one of the 1074 caught by the new camera

Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of
Default Re: I was one of the 1074 caught by the new camera

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Well you will actually, and you'll get fined for it. It's not your call to make.
So please explain "Single" vehicle crashes on highways and freeways?
The major cause ,that all Police,Road Traffic,Governments etc won't tell you is-FATIGUE.
Driving a 2011 car on a 2011 engineered road at 1967 speed causes drowsiness,fatigue and cars running off the road.
But fatigued people don't raise revenue.
Get from Melbourne to Sydney at 150 KPH on a designed motorway and car designed for this speed and people won't drop off due to boredom and be killed.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:29 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boots
The major cause ,that all Police,Road Traffic,Governments etc won't tell you is-FATIGUE.
Driving a 2011 car on a 2011 engineered road at 1967 speed causes drowsiness,fatigue and cars running off the road.
Get from Melbourne to Sydney at 150 KPH on a designed motorway and car designed for this speed and people won't drop off due to boredom and be killed.
I've heard this point a couple of times (although for 130kph) and I wonder if there is any science behind it or if it is a self-sustaining myth. I know the theory is that the faster speed keeps you awake but I reckon you would get as used to 130 or 150 as you would 110. From my experience in France I would say that fatigue certainly still happens at 130.

That said, I can't see any reason why some of the major freeways couldn't be 130. The 110 is a pain in the arris as it looks too similar to 100.

From experience, soft verges seem to cause quite a few single vehicle crashes but I can see that may be a symptom of fatigue.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:34 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
I saw an accident caused by the new camera on waterworks road this week. Someone obviously decided it was better to get rammed than risk the $300 fine for running the light so slammed on the anchors as the light turned amber. He would easily have made it through safely before it turned red (as would the car following) but clearly the fear of the camera produced dangerous driving.

Better to have an accident and claim off someone elses insurance than risk avoiding a smash but picking up the 3 points!

'safety camera'. - my arse!
No, the person behind was travelling too fast, rules of the road say that you should drive with sufficient space between the cars so that you can stop if the person in front slams on the brakes.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:59 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly right, the extremely outdated obsession with speed seems to be achieving nothing as far as road safety goes. I have driven on roads where speed isn't seen as the worst of all evils and incredibly they are less dangerous than our goat tracks.

Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

What's that got to do with my comment? I was stating a fact. I wasn't saying it was right or wrong, just fact.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:47 am
Rhino with a big horn!

Rambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond reputeRambi has a reputation beyond repute

Why not raise the freeway speed limit to 200?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 11:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambi
Someone will then whinge that they were clocked at 210 and are the safest driver in the world and the police are evil for fining him.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:29 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Someone will then whinge that they were clocked at 210 and are the safest driver in the world and the police are evil for fining him.
It's only 6.2 mph over the limit. Clearly it's just revenue raising.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:52 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The majority of Aussie drivers aren't safe at 100 I can't imagine what the roads would be like at 200.

Originally Posted by Rambi
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I'm going to have to dig through my archived files for this, but a few years ago I was forwarded an electronic copy (probably available on t'internet) of a federal gov't report showing that speeding convictions ( and hence fines) had reduced over a 5 year period. Co-incidently a large number of speed limits were reduced on roads in WA after that report was issued, I'm not sure about other states.
Food for thought.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 9:57 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Originally Posted by chris955
The majority of Aussie drivers aren't safe at 100 I can't imagine what the roads would be like at 200.
Putting the jingo aside, what limit would you set it at and why?
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:16 pm
Banned

Well the problem is I really feel the standard of driving here would be the issue. I have driven past cops on motorways in the UK at 90mph, with the flow of traffic and the cops don't even give you a sideways glance as long as the conditions are good, there seems to be a commonsense approach whereas here by and large the approach is you are over the limit so you will get a fine. I dont think anyone really argues it is all about revenue, 3 or 4 over the limit does not make a driver unsafe and a menace on the road.
I think it just needs a more commonsense approach as we see elsewhere.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:30 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

Well the problem is I really feel the standard of driving here would be the issue. I have driven past cops on motorways in the UK at 90mph, with the flow of traffic and the cops don't even give you a sideways glance as long as the conditions are good, there seems to be a commonsense approach whereas here by and large the approach is you are over the limit so you will get a fine. I dont think anyone really argues it is all about revenue, 3 or 4 over the limit does not make a driver unsafe and a menace on the road.
I think it just needs a more commonsense approach as we see elsewhere.
Like in the US?

If it's common sense to drive over the limit why not just raise the limit. At what point do you stop raising the limit?

Last edited by Rambi; Sep 10th 2011 at 10:32 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:32 pm
Banned

I'm not sure exactly what it is like in the US but they dont seem as anal about it from what I have seen.
I didn't say it is commonsense to drive over the limit, I said the Police should take a commonsense approach to speeding.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 10:37 pm
Rhino with a big horn!

I'm not sure exactly what it is like in the US but they dont seem as anal about it from what I have seen.
I didn't say it is commonsense to drive over the limit, I said the Police should take a commonsense approach to speeding.
When I was in the US they were very anal about speeding in both California and Virginia. Obviously there could be state differences like there are here. I get the impression that the other states are not as low tolerance as Vic.

So what is the common sense approach to speeding?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.