I need The Dog Whisperer!!

I need The Dog Whisperer!!

Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ryem78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I need The Dog Whisperer!!

See the following info taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesar_Millan

Criticism
Despite his results, some view his methods as outdated. Among his methods are quick leash corrections, quick assertive touches, and walks to drain energy. One controversial method he uses is the alpha roll, where he physically rolls a dog on its back.[20]

Dr. Nicholas Dodman, the director of the Animal Behavior Clinic at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine of Tufts University, has said "Cesar Millan's methods are based on flooding and punishment. The results, though immediate, will be only transitory."[citation needed]

Jean Donaldson, the San Francisco SPCA Director of The Academy for Dog Trainers has criticized Millan for physically confronting aggressive dogs and using check chains for fearful dogs.[21]

On September 6, 2006, the American Humane Association issued a press release criticizing Millan's tactics and called on the National Geographic Channel to cease airing the program immediately. [22]

In October 2006, the International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants wrote a letter to the National Geographic Channel regarding concerns "that the program may lead children to engage in unsafe behaviors." The Association called for a change in the program's rating of TV-G. [23]

I used to be a big fan of the Dog Whisperer untill I started studying canine behaviour and did a little more digging - most behaviourists/trainers that use positive techniques shudder at the sound of his name.

A really interesting perspective on "dominance theory" can be read in "Dominance Theory and Dogs" by James O'Heare...then you can make your own minds up whether we should be treating dogs like wolves! After all - should we be treated like apes?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Joannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to all

After all - should we be treated like apes? [/QUOTE]

Yes most of the time! In fact we would probably treat each other better if we behaved more like apes.

Dogs are still essentially wolves don't be-mislead, just this week on the news a pet dog that had been lost overboard a boat four months ago was found on a remote island where it had learnt to hunt wild kid goats!

I don't believe what Cesar Milan does is cruel at all those dogs love him and he always puts the best interests of the dogs first. You have to ask are these dogs better continung bad habits and potentially being abandoned/re-homed, or having a short period of correctional disicipline with re-educated owners? Rhetorical question. I hold my belief on it you're entitled to yours...

Last edited by Joannec2014; Apr 9th 2009 at 1:31 pm. Reason: t
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

As I type little Chels is at the vets being desexed. I had a long discussion with the vet, (who has always treated both dogs) regarding Chelseas behaviour.
I explained all the problems we had with her, and after checking her over, and doing some sort of tests on her, she stated that NO she does not have behaviour problems, and that between the dog they have sorted out the 'pecking' order. .......and she is the top dog. (Strange that we have had Lampard longer and he is the big dominant male?)
She advised this is natural for a dog to do and no amount of training will change the situation. She stated that on each occasion when Chels had gone for Lampard, it would have been triggered by Lamps 'over stepping' his mark??...............and Chelsea is putting him in his place!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:58 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah Cooper does that, if Kymba over steps the mark he will give her a growl to put her back in place. But they have never got to the point of fighting, thank god.
I hope everything goes well at the vets and she gets over her op very quickly.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Yeah Cooper does that, if Kymba over steps the mark he will give her a growl to put her back in place. But they have never got to the point of fighting, thank god.
I hope everything goes well at the vets and she gets over her op very quickly.

She is now curled up sound asleep like a little angel!!!! (shame she cant stay that way)
Mind you nearly had a fight with some bloke on the way back from the vets.
I have Chels in the back of the car, very woozey and 'all over the place'
Now this is about 4.30pm , when everyone decides they are going to cut through Kinross at 80ks..................I am at a roundabout when there is a gap in the traffic. I pull out but have to go a bit on the slow side, as she has decided to try and look out the window. Now at this time of night, you have to pull out a bit sharpish............but no way am I doing that with her in the back with a huge open wound down her stomach.
Theres this w*anker, right up my ar*e, giving it all the hand signals and verbal abuse................all because I am not doing 80ks in a bloody suburb.
Well my window came down.................and he got a lovely mouthful!!!:curse:

Last edited by sj oldfield; Apr 23rd 2009 at 10:20 am.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Had her desexed as advised but wish i hadnt. She was operated on last Thursday and has been quite poorly since!!
She refuses to leave her bed, is hardly eating, (we have to hand feed her just to coax her to eat), she has lost 4 kilos and is not at all good.
Been back to the vets twice to be checked and have been told its a reaction to anaesetic, apparently as she is a boxer they have to be very careful.
And as for her temper, she is watching Lampard all the time out of the corner of her eyes, and if he dares move, shes off on one!!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Here she is all curled up with Lampard (she uses him quite badly!!!)LOL
Attached Thumbnails I need The Dog Whisperer!!-lampard_and_chelsea.jpg  
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:40 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Hope she gets better soon (she will) In the long run it will be worth it, lower chance of cancers etc. You have done the right thing.

If she keeps bullying Lamps, try feeding him 1st and keeping her out of the way. Might be worth a try. Failing that take him to Karate

Last edited by MarkMC; Apr 29th 2009 at 11:40 am. Reason: fat fingers
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

If she keeps bullying Lamps, try feeding him 1st and keeping her out of the way. Might be worth a try. Failing that take him to Karate[/QUOTE]

Now apparently thats the WORST thing we can do!!! Vet advised that as she is the top dog she has to be first ALL the time, fed first, petted first, watered first...I would have thought this was 'playing; into her hands, but vet says NO, she must be first, if she is not she will go for him???
She is ssoooooooo cute looking.....................but looks are decieving!!! LOL
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

....................on top of that she is half his size!!!! She seemed to stop growing after a couple of months, she is a sweet tiny little boxer..........and ole Lamps is like a huge old duke next to her!!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:34 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Had her desexed as advised but wish i hadnt. She was operated on last Thursday and has been quite poorly since!!
She refuses to leave her bed, is hardly eating, (we have to hand feed her just to coax her to eat), she has lost 4 kilos and is not at all good.
Been back to the vets twice to be checked and have been told its a reaction to anaesetic, apparently as she is a boxer they have to be very careful.
And as for her temper, she is watching Lampard all the time out of the corner of her eyes, and if he dares move, shes off on one!!
My whippet bitch took ages to get over her operation, she had no fat on her, just muscle and it took a long time for her to recover.

She is a very petite and tiny little bitch isnt she? She doesnt look like shes got it in her.

I know its hard watching her so poorly after her operation but Ive seen many a bitch with pyometra and that is awful when they get that.

Its a big operation being desexed - for a bitch, heres hoping for a speedy recovery and that Lampard soon realises he is the underdog with your girl. and that she wears the pants in the house!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:58 pm
mmmmmm duff

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
....................on top of that she is half his size!!!! She seemed to stop growing after a couple of months, she is a sweet tiny little boxer..........and ole Lamps is like a huge old duke next to her!!
Ours are the other way around Kymba towers over Cooper I thought she was never going to stop growing. She is our little shetland pony But Cooper is top dog and they seem very happy that way.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Hi

Have you tried distraction techniques, we use this on our dog as we have 3 cats. If she shows too much interest or approaches them too quickly she gets a sharp ah ah noise. As soon as she turns to see what the noise is or comes to us she gets praised/rewarded. We have never had a problem and she knows what is acceptable in appraching the cats. She has had a couple of swipes so that helps too!!!

Food is always good as it stimulated the parasympathetic nervous system (calming effect, brings down heart rate, breathing etc) and helps focus. Throwing the treats on the floor lowers the head which puts them in a less dominant position.

The trick is doing it in the early stages, if you let the starting get to far they are more difficult to distract.

If it escalates then take time out, seperate them and try again.

You will find the dominant dog will exercise control which can be a good thing. My aunt has 2 Alsations and one could be a bit nippy, if he even thought about it the female dog would pin him to the floor!

Cx

PS Ceasar is coming to Perth in June!!!

PPS The trainer at Shenton Park is very good
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:54 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wandathecat
Hi

Have you tried distraction techniques, we use this on our dog as we have 3 cats. If she shows too much interest or approaches them too quickly she gets a sharp ah ah noise. As soon as she turns to see what the noise is or comes to us she gets praised/rewarded. We have never had a problem and she knows what is acceptable in appraching the cats. She has had a couple of swipes so that helps too!!!

Food is always good as it stimulated the parasympathetic nervous system (calming effect, brings down heart rate, breathing etc) and helps focus. Throwing the treats on the floor lowers the head which puts them in a less dominant position.

The trick is doing it in the early stages, if you let the starting get to far they are more difficult to distract.

If it escalates then take time out, seperate them and try again.

You will find the dominant dog will exercise control which can be a good thing. My aunt has 2 Alsations and one could be a bit nippy, if he even thought about it the female dog would pin him to the floor!

Cx

PS Ceasar is coming to Perth in June!!!

PPS The trainer at Shenton Park is very good
I bloody well need some help for my kelpie who has a penchant for chewing/sucking on his bed and his duvet. Even the 'ah ah' noise - he will stop and then discreetly put his snout down and start sucking on the duvet.

He chews the canvas off his bed as well even with bitter spray, chilli sauce etc.

Let me tell you that a stuffed dog bed goes a long long way.....
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:00 am
mmmmmm duff

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
He chews the canvas off his bed as well even with bitter spray, chilli sauce etc.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm chilli sauce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.