Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I miss UK men - Does anyone else find Oz men a different species?

Wikiposts

I miss UK men - Does anyone else find Oz men a different species?

Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:21 pm
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I miss UK men - Does anyone else find Oz men a different species?

Hear, hear, Rarn. I am with you and I'm an Aussie sheila. I never liked Aussie blokes, travelled to UK (well, Scotland) and it became very clear why - all the things I was looking for were 10000 miles away!! I've been back 2 years and after having tons of Scottish blokes for mates haven't got a single one here. Admittedly I've been out of the loop since having a wee bub but I've started back at work this year and found it's the same - the guys are really odd. When I was working in the UK, we'd all go out for a wee bevvy after work on Friday (or Wednesday, lol) and have a chat. Here - the guys all hang out and the chics just tend to keep to themselves!

It's weird. And last year I was living in my hometown and fekking hell no WONDER I never fancied any of them!!! The word BOGAN comes to mind. All they talk about is football and beer. I kind of ended up hanging around my sister's crowd of friends and I HATED it. I actually ended up enemies with the 3 guys in the 'group' by the end of the year. I just could not stand them. I've never met such narrow-minded, ignorant fools in all my life. The most irritating thing is that they think that THEY are actually MORE INTERESTING AND MORE HILARIOUS than 'POMS' (they used to go on and on about it) but OMG...how i used to sit there at BBQs, plastic grin on my face, just WISHING that God would somehow teleport half a dozen of my mates from Scotland over RIGHT THEN and put these dumarses to shame.

Phew, a tad too much wine, I believe...but you have hit the nail on the head. I'm not saying British blokes aren't lacking in many cases, and there's the odd d*** amongst them, but Aussie blokes - what the hell is going on??? And the WORST thing is, the women just TAKE it!!! My sister used to be so independent etc and now she's going out with a bogan she's not got an opinion in her head. They laugh like it's funny, when you know they must be seething - they pick them up from golf pissed, they drop them at the pub, they pick them up at midnight (or later at a party if they fancy) and then when they want to go out they get abuse!!!

Argh. Must stop gibbering. There must be decent guys here cos we all know stereotypes don't work but heck, I dunno where they're hiding.

I miss my gay mate, Callum, too! I miss being able to just drop into the pub with a guy you weren't "with", weren't related to, and weren't trying to get with for a bevvy and to get the craic. Wouldn't be heard of here!!!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Matildaskye, ther's plenty of men here who have Scottish parentage, I've got 4! You just have to seek them out!
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matildaskye
Hear, hear, Rarn. I am with you and I'm an Aussie sheila. I never liked Aussie blokes, travelled to UK (well, Scotland) and it became very clear why - all the things I was looking for were 10000 miles away!! I've been back 2 years and after having tons of Scottish blokes for mates haven't got a single one here. Admittedly I've been out of the loop since having a wee bub but I've started back at work this year and found it's the same - the guys are really odd. When I was working in the UK, we'd all go out for a wee bevvy after work on Friday (or Wednesday, lol) and have a chat. Here - the guys all hang out and the chics just tend to keep to themselves!

It's weird. And last year I was living in my hometown and fekking hell no WONDER I never fancied any of them!!! The word BOGAN comes to mind. All they talk about is football and beer. I kind of ended up hanging around my sister's crowd of friends and I HATED it. I actually ended up enemies with the 3 guys in the 'group' by the end of the year. I just could not stand them. I've never met such narrow-minded, ignorant fools in all my life. The most irritating thing is that they think that THEY are actually MORE INTERESTING AND MORE HILARIOUS than 'POMS' (they used to go on and on about it) but OMG...how i used to sit there at BBQs, plastic grin on my face, just WISHING that God would somehow teleport half a dozen of my mates from Scotland over RIGHT THEN and put these dumarses to shame.

Phew, a tad too much wine, I believe...but you have hit the nail on the head. I'm not saying British blokes aren't lacking in many cases, and there's the odd d*** amongst them, but Aussie blokes - what the hell is going on??? And the WORST thing is, the women just TAKE it!!! My sister used to be so independent etc and now she's going out with a bogan she's not got an opinion in her head. They laugh like it's funny, when you know they must be seething - they pick them up from golf pissed, they drop them at the pub, they pick them up at midnight (or later at a party if they fancy) and then when they want to go out they get abuse!!!

Argh. Must stop gibbering. There must be decent guys here cos we all know stereotypes don't work but heck, I dunno where they're hiding.

I miss my gay mate, Callum, too! I miss being able to just drop into the pub with a guy you weren't "with", weren't related to, and weren't trying to get with for a bevvy and to get the craic. Wouldn't be heard of here!!!
Sounds like you did live in Boganville, as there's none of that amongst our mates. (!)

Lets face it, Aussie has Bogans, the UK has some equivalent. Everywhere I go here in Australia, everyone mixes all the time. Never seen gender seperation in 4 odd years.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

Rarn will become famous soon enoughRarn will become famous soon enough

Ahh Matilda........You good woman. Nice to hear your vino rant...where was ur hometown you moved back to?

I'm not in2 bashing Oz chaps Mr.badger (unless they really deserve it)and its only since being single here and not part of a couple that I've noticed a HUGE difference.
Course people r people and all.......just been my experience.....
Old Apr 20th 2007, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by esperanza
Before coming I heard that it was typical for the men to talk to each other at a party and the women to talk to each other in the kitchen.
The first night in Oz, we were met by friends (a couple), and they invited a couple of friends over too - within about half an hour, the men were at one end of the dining table, the ladies were chatting at the other end, whilst clearing dishes etc.
They've definitely got it all wrong.

The men should be in the pub while the women do the dishes

Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Rarn will become famous soon enoughRarn will become famous soon enough

You'll do well here
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie chick here, been in UK nearly 10 yrs. I'm pretty much with you MathildaSkye - although I do have several Aussie male mates in Oz, with whom I could just have a beer with and nothing else. I must admit though that they are all well-travelled, well-read, and quite intelligent blokes who dont watch sport and who believe that there's more to life than spending an evening in front of the idiot box.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
They've definitely got it all wrong.

The men should be in the pub while the women do the dishes

lol!! and grrrr!

I´m Australian and I agree, on the whole Aussie men can seem a bit more neanderthal, on the upside they have their pluses that Uk men don't seem to have as much. I realise that's a generalisation ok.

I also agree though that it's about individuals and no matter where you go (except for maybe extreme Boganville), you can seek out men who are the right type of company for you. I have, and I have found some wonderful men!

This is an interesting discussion.

Anyway, who cares what us women think...time to get back to the dishes. ahahaha!

Vegemite.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:09 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I love Aussie blokes. They talk to me quite normally and best of all, they do it without having to go all coy or shy because it might look like they fancy me.... I can actually have good fun conversations with the blokes here, whereas in the UK, I couldn't, very often.
Even better, their partners don't mind because generally, Aussie women aren't insecure about a tall blonde having a natter to their hubs.
Don't miss UK men at all.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 1:09 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

As an Aussie who lived in the UK for a while and married a Englishman, I have to say I see where the OP and Matildaskye are coming from. I was pleasantly surprised when I met DH's friends in the UK and they actually talked to me. Not just pleasantries, they actually listened to my opinion on things, asked questions and enjoyed a conversation. I know there are lovely Aussie guys out there but in my experience I had never really had an Aussie male friend. There might have been Aussie guys who hung about in the same crowd but we never really talked or shared things unless of course they were trying to crack on!!! In fact thinking back my best male friend at Uni was Scottish. So there may be something in it!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:26 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
flippin hell nightnurse,if we ever meet in perth,where am i going to look..i dont know what to say....
Do I need to tell you
Old Apr 21st 2007, 2:46 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

since having a wee bub, a wee bevvy, get the craic.
Didn't you say you were Australian?
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:14 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
you wer,nt looking pal ...............mm
I feel sick now! oh and erm my baps are fab!!
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:18 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
I love Aussie blokes. They talk to me quite normally and best of all, they do it without having to go all coy or shy because it might look like they fancy me.... I can actually have good fun conversations with the blokes here, whereas in the UK, I couldn't, very often.
Even better, their partners don't mind because generally, Aussie women aren't insecure about a tall blonde having a natter to their hubs.
Don't miss UK men at all.
They talk to me quite normally and best of all, they do it without having to go all coy or shy because it might look like they fancy me....
are they blind,them ozzie bloakes have no taste...

Last edited by aston man; Apr 21st 2007 at 4:26 am.
Old Apr 21st 2007, 4:20 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
I feel sick now! oh and erm my baps are fab!!
is there any chance that we could have a vote on that,,weve seen hers...????any chance????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.