Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I hope no-ones flying with Qantas!!

I hope no-ones flying with Qantas!!

Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:43 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation I hope no-ones flying with Qantas!!

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Nation...462219741.html

Worrying.....very worrying indeed!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 7:47 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I hope no-ones flying with Qantas!!

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

Steve has doen an awful lot of flying with Qantas since we got here, but it's ok, I'm not worried (he's insured )
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:49 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

As a Licensed Aircraft Engineer myself, I cannot see how Qantas and CASA have let this occur. We work in one of the most regulated, quality assurance backed and checked parts of the aviation industry. Certainly when I got my job I had to provide my original licence, course certificates (both of which could be verified through the UK CAA) and then attend a 3 hour technical interview before I was let loose. Things at Qantas must be worse than I thought. Still that is what you get when costs are cut to provide cheaper fares, but thats another arguement.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Still that is what you get when costs are cut to provide cheaper fares, but thats another arguement.
Qantas fares are rarely cheaper so cannot use that argument!
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:40 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Had to chuckle when the news item was followed immediately by a Qantas ad extolling the engineering knowhow and safety culture!

But these thing do happen - especially when there is so much bureaucracy and box-ticking.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:59 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Qantas fares are rarely cheaper so cannot use that argument!
Actually, that said, I heard on the radio today that they are flying Brisbane to London return for $1399 plus tax.

Thats not half bad at all I reckon.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

I'm sure he's not the first (nor the last) person to lie about or fabricate what he can do to get a promotion and payrise!
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 6:50 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer

I like the bit here it says the think his his work was "pretty safe"
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 7:20 am
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sharpy67
I'm sure he's not the first (nor the last) person to lie about or fabricate what he can do to get a promotion and payrise!
Maybe not. But he is probably one of the first to get into a highly responsible position by doing it. Heard of Doctors being impersonated before, and this is of the same level. Everytime he signed for a job or Flight Clearance he was potentially putting 300+ peoples lives at risk by his ignorance, and potentially still is. Everything thing that I, or any other LAE signs for, we are responsible for until that part is removed from the aircraft and that could be several years / flights. If through my negligence something goes wrong I could be liable to appear in court on very serious charges i.e manslaughter. Today I have signed off on 23 items of varying complexity and cleared the aircraft to fly with 250+ pax onboard. That is why we are Licensed and heavily regulated. 18months to train a pilot, 7 years to train an LAE.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 6:18 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not. But he is probably one of the first to get into a highly responsible position by doing it. Heard of Doctors being impersonated before, and this is of the same level. Everytime he signed for a job or Flight Clearance he was potentially putting 300+ peoples lives at risk by his ignorance, and potentially still is. Everything thing that I, or any other LAE signs for, we are responsible for until that part is removed from the aircraft and that could be several years / flights. If through my negligence something goes wrong I could be liable to appear in court on very serious charges i.e manslaughter. Today I have signed off on 23 items of varying complexity and cleared the aircraft to fly with 250+ pax onboard. That is why we are Licensed and heavily regulated. 18months to train a pilot, 7 years to train an LAE.
Luckily most people, like yourself are normal people with a healthy conscience and feeling of responsibility!

Miranda
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

One of Ernest Gann's books tell of an airline captain who flew without major incident for years without *any* sort of flying licence: he was only found out when his aircraft had mechanical problems as I remember it!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 10:33 pm
A modern day warrior

Originally Posted by Wol
One of Ernest Gann's books tell of an airline captain who flew without major incident for years without *any* sort of flying licence: he was only found out when his aircraft had mechanical problems as I remember it!
It's true then. Any fool can fly them!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:18 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's true then. Any fool can fly them!
Certainly looks that way.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:40 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing personal TOM but who do you work for,just incase.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:17 am
A modern day warrior

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Nothing personal TOM but who do you work for,just incase.
Not Qantas!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.