Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I can't stand the heat

Wikiposts

I can't stand the heat

Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I can't stand the heat

Originally Posted by lauralollipop

I feel like I am just trying to survive, yesterday was a total write off just too hot to do anything or go anywhere (did an hour at the beach and and hour in the spa till it got boring) it got to 45 degrees in my garden and that was in the shady part - It didnt cool down much either was still 32 at 1am when we had a power cut (for 5 hours)and we laid there dying with wet towels on us trying to sleep cos of course we had no fan.......

I got about 2 hours of sleep and feel like total crap! Today looks like we have to do it all over again, cos I woke up at 7.30am and it was already 31 degrees, so now I am sat in a dark house fans all on me feeling like what is the point to even get dressed cos I am gona need to keep getting in cold shower. I hate this crazy weather, I would just love to be in Alaska right now in the cold..........

I have so much to do but I just cannot function in this heat, its horrible, can't afford air con and if I did it wouldnt help me now cos it would be weeks till install.....................I want to SCREAM!
and next Saturday again, 40 degrees. In the almost 13 years that I'm living in Perth, this is the hottest summer. We had El Nino too in 1997/98, but it wasn't as hot as it is now on a weekly basis. I feel for you. I live close to the ocean and on hot days like this it's up to 8 degrees less hot. The temperature is the main reason why I would not want to move from were I live. At two windows we installed roller blinds outside (Bunnings), the difference is huge. Maybe that would be an alternative if you cannot spent money on a cooling system.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:46 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Perth for over 3.5 years now I am perfectly aware of the climate here and never felt the need for air con, (until the other night) besides I cannot afford to have aircon installed and think its bad for the environment, so even if I could I wouldnt. Besides air con would not have helped me in the power cut, my neighbours have aircon and when the power went off they were in same situation as me (stifling). In my OP I was merely posting on the fact is was very hot and we had a power cut (as usual on here people like to have a dig).

As for the trains here, I was merely stating my experience I had when travelling to the city, which was 3.5 years ago and I actually didn't have any opinions about Perth back then, as I had just moved there from Melbourne and I am not the type of person to say I dont like somewhere without giving it a fair chance, so its typical that the 'people who love Perth' to judge me this way! And I didn't like doing that so I stopped working in the city and haven't really given it a 2nd thought until now.

Also when the temperature exceeds lets say 38 degrees in Perth, the Dr (sea breeze) doesnt come through as it cant because there is too much hot air moving out from the interior which keeps it out and thats when we need it the most.

I have also lived in Melbourne for 2 years and so I am very familiar with the weather there and do know how hot it can get there, what I was commenting on was how nice Melbourne weather system is because you still get hot days but you have the cool change which comes in eventually, which is a huge welcoming relief. And I love the variety each day brings.
I am not judging you just stating MY opinion of what I read in your posts. I don't know you and quite frankly don't care if you like Perth or not. Most Perth loving people (me included) realise that Perth isn't for everyone, realise that it has LOTS of things that are irritating and could be done better. I hope when you return to the UK to live that you don't have to go anywhere near Waterloo or Kings X at rush hour, then you will realise that the Perth to Joondalup line is a breeze.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
and next Saturday again, 40 degrees. In the almost 13 years that I'm living in Perth, this is the hottest summer. We had El Nino too in 1997/98, but it wasn't as hot as it is now on a weekly basis. I feel for you. I live close to the ocean and on hot days like this it's up to 8 degrees less hot. The temperature is the main reason why I would not want to move from were I live. At two windows we installed roller blinds outside (Bunnings), the difference is huge. Maybe that would be an alternative if you cannot spent money on a cooling system.
1991, from what I've read/heard was the hottest summer ever in Perth.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 7:04 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
Thanks Evelin I might look into those. I thought that I couldnt remember it ever been that hot since I have been here anyway
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:00 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zenshin
I find that funny. As an Aussie who has just experience their coldest winter ever in the UK, I found myself taking photos of the car's temperature reading the other week -7.5 at almost midday. Don't think anyone really enjoys extremes of temperature especially when you aren't used to it. For those worried about their electric bill, don't forget that back in the UK you need central heating on all winter and this winter ours has been on almost 24/7!

I don't remember having so many days in the high 30s to mid 40s when I was growing up in Perth. Things have changed a lot even in the last 12 years since I have been away. What is it going to be like in another 10 to 20 years?
I took the photo so I could send it to my dad in the UK ... just to rub it in LOL
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
As for Melbourne, this would be the same Melbourne that last week was 43 in the day and 34 low at night, it's no different there, just summer doesn't last so long, at least in Perth you have the doctor coming in the afternoon most days to cool the place down.
Apart from the hottest days, numbering in the singles, Melbourne cools down very rapidly at night in the summer.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Don't worry it well be 15 degrees soon again. Although I predict it will be 40 degrees the week after.
http://www.theage.com.au/national/ge...0119-mief.html
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:54 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: I can't stand the heat

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
It's brilliant... until the electric bill arrives.
6 star energy rating. We'll be fine.

Old Jan 19th 2010, 5:59 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

OMG This has just scared me, it says Perth will bake - no more please I am loving the sea breeze today, all my windows open, gorgeous 28 degrees - my fave temp - off the sit in garden now and read a book

Hey stampede, what aircon did you get? How much do they reckon a 6 star costs to run in comparison? I saw 1.20 per hour somewhere, but not sure of rating?

Think I might have to get one after all if its gona bake.....
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:38 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I can't stand the heat

Hey stampede, what aircon did you get? How much do they reckon a 6 star costs to run in comparison? I saw 1.20 per hour somewhere, but not sure of rating?

Panasonic CS-E9JKR.

They retail for $1,219 but we bought ours for $900 and paid $600 for a custom fit (had to run cables through the garage roof). I'm planning to get two more.

I don't know how much it costs to run when compared to other units, but I can tell you that it's virtually silent and extremely effective!

Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Panasonic CS-E9JKR.

They retail for $1,219 but we bought ours for $900 and paid $600 for a custom fit (had to run cables through the garage roof). I'm planning to get two more.

I don't know how much it costs to run when compared to other units, but I can tell you that it's virtually silent and extremely effective!

Mine. Daikin R-407c plus two R-410a's.
Cost to install... a bloody fortune.
Cost to run them all... a bloody fortune.
Would I be without it... not a bloody chance.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

OMG This has just scared me, it says Perth will bake - no more please I am loving the sea breeze today, all my windows open, gorgeous 28 degrees - my fave temp - off the sit in garden now and read a book

Sorry didn't mean to scare you!!

Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying some better weather now