Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I am moving to Cairns on Friday 3 July. I need help...please...

I am moving to Cairns on Friday 3 July. I need help...please...

Old Jun 30th 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

TimZA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am moving to Cairns on Friday 3 July. What area is best for Cairns Base Hospital?

Hi I am eventually moving to Cairns on Friday. I already have accommodation for the first month, but I need to find a place after that. I will be working at Cairns Base Hospital. Any advice on an initial area to stay until I get to know the lay of the land would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by TimZA; Jun 30th 2009 at 9:43 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 7:03 am
Just Joined

AandR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am moving to Cairns on Friday 3 July. I need help...please...

Hi Tina, as long as you have access to a car there are a number of areas that are available in and around Cairns. South of the City is Mt sheridan and White Rock areas - these are usually slightly cheaper than most and are popular with families. I would recommend areas like Freshwater/Stratford and Redlynch - they are only 15-20mins from Cairns CBD and great for access to the beaches and countryside.
If you need anymore info just let me know

Abbey
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I am moving to Cairns on Friday 3 July. What area is best for Cairns Base Hospita

Originally Posted by TimZA
Hi I am eventually moving to Cairns on Friday. I already have accommodation for the first month, but I need to find a place after that. I will be working at Cairns Base Hospital. Any advice on an initial area to stay until I get to know the lay of the land would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
North Cairns, Edge Hill or Parramatta Park would be close to the hospital. plenty of units in these areas. Be aware that single people wandering (maybe that should read staggering??) around Parramatta Park earliy in the morning have recieved unwanted attention from the suntanned brothers. It's more about taking responsiblity for your situation rather than bunkering down.

Stratford and Freshwater are a bit further away from the hospital but close by world standards. When you get to Cairns, from a large city, everything seems close by. Gradually you will adopt "Cairns distance" and those previously closeby places start to seem to be to far away to bother going to. It's all relative.

Good luck with your move.

WW
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Cairns!
Hope all is going well for you so far
Not a problem with rentals here at the mo, loads of availability so take your time to look around & see which areas you prefer. There are lots of people who rent within walking distance of the Base, personally I prefer to live out of the city. Rent a car, drive around & see what suits you.
Happy hunting
Old Jul 7th 2009, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Thank you all for your replies. It is quite strange about the distances. I wouldn't have considered that going to Smithfield was far to go shopping, but somehow I am starting to think that way.

At the moment I am a block away from work, so I will have to see how far away I can comfortably live without not having that roll-out-of bed-and-into-work feeling.

Tim
Old Jul 7th 2009, 4:03 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your replies. It is quite strange about the distances. I wouldn't have considered that going to Smithfield was far to go shopping, but somehow I am starting to think that way.

At the moment I am a block away from work, so I will have to see how far away I can comfortably live without not having that roll-out-of bed-and-into-work feeling.

Tim
Where's the base hospital?

I reckon if I had to work down in Cairns I'd probably go for Yorkie's Knob. Don't let the name put you off. Good beach, Marina, Golf course, Pubs, and handy to Smithfield.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Burbage
Where's the base hospital?

I reckon if I had to work down in Cairns I'd probably go for Yorkie's Knob. Don't let the name put you off. Good beach, Marina, Golf course, Pubs, and handy to Smithfield.
Yorkie's Knob - one the great moments we used to have driving to our place in PD was driving past the sign for that place. Wonderful name and always worth a hearty laugh.

There's a few other knobs along that stretch as well...

Which bodes well given the gay and lesbian resort that is just outside PD as well!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:08 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
Yorkie's Knob - one the great moments we used to have driving to our place in PD was driving past the sign for that place. Wonderful name and always worth a hearty laugh.

There's a few other knobs along that stretch as well...

Which bodes well given the gay and lesbian resort that is just outside PD as well!
And it's just about economically feasible to get a taxi from Yorkie's to the city. As long as you don't do it too often.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Tim
get someone to show you the noticeboard outside the staff canteen, usually plenty of rentals/house shares on there!

Burbage - the hospital is on the Esplanade!
Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:20 am
Demi-God

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
get someone to show you the noticeboard outside the staff canteen, usually plenty of rentals/house shares on there!

Burbage - the hospital is on the Esplanade!
Funny place for a base?
Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

kendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nicekendalanita is just really nice

Hi there, my daughter lives in Cairns and works at Cairns Base Hospital too. She lives out at Smithfield now (not that far away) but if you ask at work sure someone will point you in the right direction. Tons of rental places up there. Good luck and hope you enjoy Cairns, sure you will, it's beautiful.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 12:13 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
And it's just about economically feasible to get a taxi from Yorkie's to the city.
Could hitch a lift with a plane.
Yorkeys is in the direct flight path over the marina.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

It seems that up at the beaches is an option after all. Smithfield too!

Having spent so many years of having to drive to places because it is safer than walking, I thought that a short walk to work might make a pleasant difference. Still exploring the car option though.

It seems like many of my future colleagues live out at Yorkeys Knob, so it may be a good thing and then again, it might not be good to live with the boss....
Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:49 pm
Demi-God

Originally Posted by Bix
Could hitch a lift with a plane.
Yorkeys is in the direct flight path over the marina.
It's not exactly Heathrow airport though.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

I suppose that being on the flight path would mean that you don't need an alarm clock to get up when the first flights of the morning pass overhead - Brisbane and then a snooze and Sydney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.