Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I am moving to Cairns on Friday 3 July. I need help...please...

I am moving to Cairns on Friday 3 July. I need help...please...

Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Looking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant futureLooking forward to Oz has a brilliant future
Default Re: I am moving to Cairns on Friday 3 July. I need help...please...

Originally Posted by Burbage
I'd probably go for Yorkie's Knob. Don't let the name put you off.
hahaha. v. funny!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimZA
It seems that up at the beaches is an option after all. Smithfield too!

Having spent so many years of having to drive to places because it is safer than walking, I thought that a short walk to work might make a pleasant difference. Still exploring the car option though.

It seems like many of my future colleagues live out at Yorkeys Knob, so it may be a good thing and then again, it might not be good to live with the boss....
Some very good deals on furnished places at Clifton at the moment too!
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

TimZA is an unknown quantity at this point

What about Edge Hill. not like the Liverpool one... How is that for a place to stay? Something intermediate between having no car etc and then having a Getz!!! or Jazz..
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

What about Edge Hill. not like the Liverpool one... How is that for a place to stay? Something intermediate between having no car etc and then having a Getz!!! or Jazz..
Edge Hill is good.....and so is the Getz.

Haven't updated this but it's still pretty much how I feel about it:-

BEACHES:
Palm Cove – Caters for holiday trade with seafront hotels, apartments and restaurants along the Esplanade. Very nice. Housing could be pricey. Away from the beach will be cheaper.
Clifton Beach – No Esplanade as such. New small shopping centre out at the main Roadside. No real holiday industry here. Expensive at the water front.
Kewarra Beach – More affordable areas. Large development taking place. Not much in the way of facilities but not far to travel to them.
Trinity Beach – A mini Palm Cove. Very nice.
Trinity Park – No beach. Water inlet. Big money going in here. Want to park your yacht at the bottom of the garden ?
Yorkeys Knob – Marina and small beach. In flight path.
Holloways Beach - Flight path. Mmmmmm not my cup of tea.
Machans Beach - Flight path. Poor reputation.

NORTH:
Smithfield – Being developed a lot. Big shopping centre just revamped. Smithfield Heights area is very good. Gateway to the Tablelands and Kuranda.
Caravonica – Some very nice new housing.
Kamerunga – Mainly rainforest type living. Pole homes.
Freshwater – Older but seems okay.
Stratford – Tipped to become the next Edge Hill.
Redlynch – Offers a lot. New suburb spread over several km.
Brinsmead – Old and new. Better stuff tends to be up the hill. Good.
Park Ridge – East is virtually millionaire territory. West can be pricey. Good.
Whitfield – Older leafy burb. Some good, some bad.
Edge Hill – Older leafy burb in excellent location and has a good reputation. Where the yuppies live.
Kanimbla – New burb nearing completion. Looks good.
Mooroobool – Prime example of where good meets bad. Some very good and some very bad. City Views within Mooroobool is where a lot of big money people live.

CITY SUBURBS:
Old and undesirable places to be living unless it’s in a gated apartment complex:
Aeroglen – Read airport.
Bungalow – Old housing meets industrial.
Manoora – Probably the worst burb in Cairns.
Manunda – Similar
Parramatta Park – Just made the news due to increasing crime rate.
Portsmith – Not much housing. Industrial leading to the port.
Westcourt – Bordering the main Mulgrave Road.
Woree – Same as Westcourt.

SOUTHSIDE:
Earlville – Older. Better stuff is at the back toward the hills.
Bayview Heights – Where the original money people of Cairns live – or lived ? Better at the back toward the hills. New development there.
White Rock – Lived there 3 months. Never again
Forest Gardens - New burb nearing completion. Some good stuff.
Mount Sheridan – Older leafy burb.
Bentley Park – Nicknamed Nappy Valley. Cheaper housing. Lot of development out the back where it is now adjoining Edmonton.
Edmonton – High velocity expansion. Will be the largest burb I would think in terms of housing stock. Plans to join it with Gordonvale which is a 10 minute drive to the South so that will be a major development with new shopping centre. Plans to build another town centre.
Gordonvale – Semi rural. Farming and cane field country. About to go big over the next few years.Gateway to the Tablelands.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

TimZA is an unknown quantity at this point

Bix that is a very comprehensive list. Thank you.

Why were you in White Rock for such a long time?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:16 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Bix that is a very comprehensive list. Thank you.

He forgot the golf course at Yorkey's.

Trinity is good too, but it's just that bit further out for taxi into the city. That may or may not be important to you.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:36 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

The company I work for placed us at White Rock on a 6 month contract but we cleared out after 3 months.

We were pretty secure in a gated complex but my views of the place are tainted by what I saw and experienced in our time there.

Frequent dog problems. At one point a roaming pack attacked and killed a horse in the paddock across the road from us.

Being stoned by indigenous kids as their elders watched and laughed as they sipped meths or whatever out of the infamous brown paper bags.

Hoons events.

They say it's one of the up and coming places. It doesn't have to do much to improve. Prices are cheap for a reason.

Last time I looked the demographic was something like 23% single parent families. That's a very high proportion.
Indigenous population is also on the high side at about 20%. Youths that live there are said to be "bored."

It's not a demographic that is condusive to a peaceful suburb......but there are worse burbs.