Wikiposts

I am astonished....

Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:15 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default I am astonished....

Having decided to redecorate my bedroom and finally rid myself of the ****** awful rag roll, stipple textured paint 'effect' that the previous owners had left I thought I'd mosey on down to Bunnings and pick up a few rolls of lining paper and get my room painted by the end of the weekend.
The blank looks that I got shouldve been an indication of the unbelievable trouble I am now having trying to get what I thought was a freely available product. There are only 3 place that I have found that sell this 'strange' product and for this they want to charge anything from $30-45 a roll!!
what is the problem? I could by lining paper from B+Q, just about any corner hardware shop, even Tescos for crying out loud - and for about £3 per roll - why the difficulty here?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:32 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am astonished....

Now you know why the previous owner did a ****** awful rag roll, stipple textured paint 'effect'
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:54 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a google and whilst all decorating sites suggest using lining paper, there are very few places selling it and the cheapest I found was $30 a roll. I did find one which is $154 a roll so good luck on this one! Don't 'do' wallpaper and judging by what I've been reading, I'll keep it that way. It would be cheaper for you to contact someone in the UK and get them to send some rolls over!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like extra time. Just do an extra coat of paint. I've painted over the horrible sponging/stipple effect paint that our house had and it took three coats in some areas to cover, but rolling a wall doesn't really take that long.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Sounds like extra time. Just do an extra coat of paint. I've painted over the horrible sponging/stipple effect paint that our house had and it took three coats in some areas to cover, but rolling a wall doesn't really take that long.
I agree - haven't seen any lining paper here either and we're onto our 4th renovation project. Should've had shares in paint company
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:40 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

cos, like wallpaper, no one uses it! I''d paint it out and if its very lumpy maybe some fine sand paper on an orbital first?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

I have just had some wallpaper shipped from America as I was quoted $115 a roll here in WA. Confused the person in Bunnings no end when I asked for a seam roller - it was like something from a Two Ronnies sketch "You want a steam Roller?!"
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:59 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: I am astonished....

Our house was built in the 1960s, and we found plenty of lining paper underneath when we began to strip the wallpaper off. So it was definitely a common product in Australia 50 years ago!

Perhaps lining paper is out of vogue these days? Maybe the newer wallpapers don't need it? Just guessing, as I'm not a wallpaper person. Can't stand the stuff.

Originally Posted by hoveactually
Confused the person in Bunnings no end when I asked for a seam roller - it was like something from a Two Ronnies sketch "You want a steam Roller?!"
Should have said "Yes, and make sure it has fork handles."
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:03 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Just had a google and whilst all decorating sites suggest using lining paper, there are very few places selling it and the cheapest I found was $30 a roll. I did find one which is $154 a roll so good luck on this one! Don't 'do' wallpaper and judging by what I've been reading, I'll keep it that way. It would be cheaper for you to contact someone in the UK and get them to send some rolls over!
Originally Posted by hoveactually
I have just had some wallpaper shipped from America as I was quoted $115 a roll here in WA. Confused the person in Bunnings no end when I asked for a seam roller - it was like something from a Two Ronnies sketch "You want a steam Roller?!"
I wanted some 2mm polystyrene on a roll as available from B+Q for about next to bugger all a roll as I couldn't find it here. Although it weighs nothing, my friend who was going to post it for me found out that it would be sent by," volumetric weight" - about £150.00 a roll. So looks like getting it from the States would be best.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
I wanted some 2mm polystyrene on a roll as available from B+Q for about next to bugger all a roll as I couldn't find it here. Although it weighs nothing, my friend who was going to post it for me found out that it would be sent by," volumetric weight" - about £150.00 a roll. So looks like getting it from the States would be best.
These are the people I used http://www.discountdecorating.com/ddoecom/index.php Their shipping rates are quite reasonable.