Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hypothetically speaking ofcourse............

Wikiposts

Hypothetically speaking ofcourse............

Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hypothetically speaking ofcourse............

But can't the bank or lending company forclose, and force the debtor to either pay up or go bankrupt?
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

I think that if people wanna leave their debt behind that's their choice, and other people should definitely not be taking the moral high ground about it saying people who do that shouldn't be let in blah bah blah. If we paid of our debts before we go to Oz we would be putting it off by YEARS and there's no way we're gonna do that. If we sell our house and use the money left over to pay off what we owe we'll still be in debt and have no money whatsoever for Oz and with the economy the way it is I think more and more people will be leaving debt behind.

Just my opinion anyway! And yes it's our own fault but if I wouldve known back then we were gonna move to the other side of the world we probably wouldnt have taken out the credit cards etc...
Old Oct 18th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can carry on paying your debt from Oz.....
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Of course you can carry on paying your debt from Oz.....
And many of us have done just that.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
.. And yes it's our own fault but if I wouldve known back then we were gonna move to the other side of the world we probably wouldnt have taken out the credit cards etc...
Yeah, right. I believe you.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 10:03 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
But can't the bank or lending company forclose, and force the debtor to either pay up or go bankrupt?
It's very long process to 'force' bankruptcy you would find that the Judge would make them take 50p a month before that especially for a relatively small amount.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

ANd of course you have to pay to go bankrupt, or the company making you bankrupt does, and who would want to throw away more money?

Personally just wish I haddn't paid for that sodding tv licence which they refused to refund even though I wouldn't be using it.
I do have visions though of having left a 1p bill somewhere which adds up and up and when I go back to the Uk in a few years time owing thousands lol.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:00 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
ANd of course you have to pay to go bankrupt...
Yeah

I remember when one of my HGV drivers came to me to borrow 300 quid to go bust with and I couldn't get my head around it then either...
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

nonotme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DrWho
Yeah

I remember when one of my HGV drivers came to me to borrow 300 quid to go bust with and I couldn't get my head around it then either...
I decided to stay an extra couple of years to pay off my debt as I wanted to go debt free with no worrying, but work in the UK is being more and more unbearable and life is really depressing over here. I changed my mind and am now leaving next year. I know what I am doing is wrong but it definetly is not fraud as I want to pay it all back, I never paid/took out money just to squander and I am leaving next year being full of worry and anxiety that somehow/time/where I will be caught up with. This is my responsibility and I would not be doing it if I was going to be staying here, but im not.

I am aware of of all of you who have money to pay off your debts are taking the morale high ground with others who (like me) can afford my debt over here each month but not to pay off in full before I go. Good for you.
Its my choice, my worry and anxiety.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:32 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nonotme
I decided to stay an extra couple of years to pay off my debt as I wanted to go debt free with no worrying, but work in the UK is being more and more unbearable and life is really depressing over here. I changed my mind and am now leaving next year. I know what I am doing is wrong but it definetly is not fraud as I want to pay it all back, I never paid/took out money just to squander and I am leaving next year being full of worry and anxiety that somehow/time/where I will be caught up with. This is my responsibility and I would not be doing it if I was going to be staying here, but im not.

I am aware of of all of you who have money to pay off your debts are taking the morale high ground with others who (like me) can afford my debt over here each month but not to pay off in full before I go. Good for you.
Its my choice, my worry and anxiety.
I won't comment on your choice, but there is another option you haven't mentioned. There's no reason you can't go to Oz and continue paying your debt from there. Of course whatever you do is your decision and I'm sure you're aware that you could continue to pay it off over here.