Hunting and Fishing

Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Green Hornet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hunting and Fishing

We (the wife and I) are both Hunter Fisher types so we were wondering how many enjoy hunting and fishing in australia.
Dont worry we are aware of the rules and the firearm laws.

I am sure that there are a great many other people on here that harvest thier own food from the sea or land that could give a few tips on areas.

We are thinking more Queensland (which we loved when we were there)and we noticed plenty of hunters there and lots of fishing but WA has always interested me as has Darwin.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:58 pm
Banned

Neil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to beholdNeil52 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Hunting and Fishing

Loads of kankaroos to shoot but you will need a licence, plenty of fish to catch but you have got to be good to catch anything worth eating.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

I was actually thinking more deer , pigs , rabbits and other edible introduced species. Fish should be interesting with 4000 or so species in australia I should be able to catch something LOL .

we both are avid boaters so exploreing by boat should be good.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Green Hornet
We (the wife and I) are both Hunter Fisher types so we were wondering how many enjoy hunting and fishing in australia.
Dont worry we are aware of the rules and the firearm laws.

I am sure that there are a great many other people on here that harvest thier own food from the sea or land that could give a few tips on areas.

We are thinking more Queensland (which we loved when we were there)and we noticed plenty of hunters there and lots of fishing but WA has always interested me as has Darwin.
You won't find any deer in WA. If game hunting and fishing is your thing you would really have been better to stay in BC or even have thought about moving to the east coast. Hunting is much more a Canadian thing than an Australian thing.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I was actually thinking more deer , pigs , rabbits and other edible introduced species. Fish should be interesting with 4000 or so species in australia I should be able to catch something LOL .

we both are avid boaters so exploreing by boat should be good.
Australia has plenty of feral pigs, rabbits, camels, foxes, cats etc.

Lock and load dude.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Your Kidding me right LOL you do realize that australia has six species of deer and a wild feral population that exceeds its human population by ten fold right?

Far more hunters in australia per capita from what i have seen first hand when i was there but i have really only been on the east coast from Melbourne to Cairns .

I guess what i am asking is where would a person want to live if they wanted an active outdoor natural lifestyle. Any suggestions? Im a welder first class so my job prospects are pretty good anywhere they have machinery and metal

As for staying in Canada , you do realize that it is crappy weather here right? LOL England had better weather then here .

Last edited by Green Hornet; Jan 13th 2010 at 10:53 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:26 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

My mate at work hunts goats with a bow and arrow.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:17 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of pigs to hunt in Qld. In state forrests you can only use dogs as guns are banned. Private homesteads are good for shooting pigs dear & goats not to mention huge feral cats rabbits & foxes.
I've been out a couple of times to a property not far from St George. We shot plenty of pigs & a couple of goats & a huge feral cat that had been causing problems for a while [landowner even bought us a bottle of rum as a bounty]
I also went out once with a couple of guys that just use dogs & a large knife to hunt pigs, I won't be going again
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:03 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Your Kidding me right LOL you do realize that australia has six species of deer and a wild feral population that exceeds its human population by ten fold right?

Far more hunters in australia per capita from what i have seen first hand when i was there but i have really only been on the east coast from Melbourne to Cairns .

I guess what i am asking is where would a person want to live if they wanted an active outdoor natural lifestyle. Any suggestions? Im a welder first class so my job prospects are pretty good anywhere they have machinery and metal

As for staying in Canada , you do realize that it is crappy weather here right? LOL England had better weather then here .
Yes I do realise that there is crappy weather. You do realise that it's supposed to go up to 45 degrees here in Perth this weekend?

Note to self...Don't bother replying again.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

So can anyone hunt in Australia then?If so it seems a bit barbaric to me as the animals must suffer more if is not a quick kill?Hunting with dogs sounds really cruel to me.Sue.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

I've often wondered how people can get enjoyment from shooting animals.

Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:36 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petensue
So can anyone hunt in Australia then?If so it seems a bit barbaric to me as the animals must suffer more if is not a quick kill?Hunting with dogs sounds really cruel to me.Sue.
It is cruel in respect of the fact that the dogs chase down the pig & hold it steady while the blokes catch up to kill it. Usually by slitting the pigs throat. It's the preferred method in state forest as the use of firearms would endanger other forest users.
I went once & it's not for me, I prefer a single shot to the head, quick & clean.
Feral animals cause widespread devastation to crops as well as turning land into barren desert, their control is essential in many landowners eyes.
Feral cats & dogs are a huge problem in our area at the moment. DPI guys have been baiting with the poison bait "1080" throughout the year. It's basically sodium monofluoroacetate, a white fluffy powder that is added usually to a 200gram piece of liver. It's deadly to many vertabrates & even maggots feeding on the bait can build up enough toxin to kill birds feeding on them. Strangely it's banned in the majority of countries yet it's use is still widespread in Australia & NZ.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Up north they shoot camels and donkeys from helicopters using semi automatic rifles.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Plenty of spanish mackerel, coral trout, sweetlips, barramundi and many more edible species to catch up here in the Northern beaches of Cairns. I went fishing the other day and had 2 spanish mackerel one was 17kg the other about 10kg

Since we left the UK we probably eat fish now 5 days a week compared to eating meat 7 days a week back in the uk: I've heard you can also hunt for pigs etc a bit futhur up.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:50 am
Just Joined

awsome fish . thats the sort of thing we are looking for . Hunting and fishing is a way of life for us .

We would much rather raise our own or harvest it from the wild if we can .

We enjoyed Cairns and the wife felt that that might be the place for us to live. The heat isnt a problem for us in fact we rather enjoy it and didnt find it an issue when we were in Cairns. or any other place that was hot that we have been, lived or worked .

Cairns has a big W and some sort of home depot kinda place correct? I seem to remember a big shopping mall district a bit north of it? Is that correct?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.