Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hubby going to middle of Jungle in Indonesia

Hubby going to middle of Jungle in Indonesia

Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Hubby going to middle of Jungle in Indonesia

for work for one week, got him to register with smart travellers, this place is so remote, that it takes 2 days plus 2 plane change & sea plane as there is no runways, the only place they can sleep is in a ship container, but he said he heard the food is very good.
He can only carry 10kg on his suit case which 5Kg is presents for the native, Im so scared something might happens to him, but he is really looking forward to it.
I hope there is none these kidnapping business happens over there or I doubt his tight company would pay for it.
I'm so worried, wish he didnt have to go.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hubby going to middle of Jungle in Indonesia

What do the government agency websites say about the area he is going to?

If they indicate that it is a risky area, then I think you are well within your rights as wife to tell him he is not going.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

They have been recieving emails to avoid certain area, where there are riots, they are being pick up at the airports, but still once in the jungle anything can happens, he is in charge of the project & it has taken over 3 months for the visa to come through, he said he has to go or else.
its all about the money at the end of the day, gosh im such chicken, i hope he & his 2 other colleague is well procted
Old Mar 9th 2013, 2:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Fingers crossed for you.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 3:00 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

get vaccinations! and malaria dengue tetanus rabies etc can be picked up
Old Mar 9th 2013, 3:10 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Plenty of DEET, mozzie nets and he will be fine. Sounds like fun.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Try not to panic much. Actually, being in a remote area can be the safest place to be. My last job was in the Congo, and always felt at the safest in the middle of the rain forrest. I have worked in a fair few very remote places.

He should take some basic precautions.

He needs to make sure he has all the required jabs.

Make sure he takes anti malarial drugs. I recomend Malerone. Its expensive but the best. But a travel doctor will advise. Make sure he takes them as required, including for the period after he comes home - i know several people that havent and come down with malaria at home. He should also, if he gets unewll with flu like symptoms in the 6 months after coming home ask for a malaria test.

Buy a decent first aid kit - i have one with a broad range of drugs in that i can treat most things with.

Tell him to enjoy it. He will be fine and it will be an incredible experience
Old Mar 9th 2013, 7:39 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Badge and Amazulu will get him out if it goes tits up
Old Mar 9th 2013, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Badge and Amazulu will get him out if it goes tits up
And who gets them out
Old Mar 9th 2013, 7:42 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
And who gets them out
Sssssccchhhh
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by verystormy
Try not to panic much. Actually, being in a remote area can be the safest place to be. My last job was in the Congo, and always felt at the safest in the middle of the rain forrest. I have worked in a fair few very remote places.

He should take some basic precautions.

He needs to make sure he has all the required jabs.

Make sure he takes anti malarial drugs. I recomend Malerone. Its expensive but the best. But a travel doctor will advise. Make sure he takes them as required, including for the period after he comes home - i know several people that havent and come down with malaria at home. He should also, if he gets unewll with flu like symptoms in the 6 months after coming home ask for a malaria test.

Buy a decent first aid kit - i have one with a broad range of drugs in that i can treat most things with.

Tell him to enjoy it. He will be fine and it will be an incredible experience
Thank you will make sure he has those tablets, the company will pay for it.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

We lived in East Kalimantan on the island of Borneo for 2 years. The locals are great - friendly and very welcoming. For Malaria and Dengue the best thing to do is avoid getting bitten in the first place. Long sleeves at night or in the jungle, plenty of Deet spray and a mosquito net at night.

Travelling is the most unsafe activity - the driving is shocking :-)
Old Mar 9th 2013, 11:30 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Stay away from animals. Animal bites may contain rabies virus.
Old Mar 10th 2013, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
for work for one week, .., this place is so remote, that it takes 2 days plus 2 plane change & sea plane as there is no runways, the only place they can sleep is in a ship container, but he said he heard the food is very good.
He can only carry 10kg on his suit case which 5Kg is presents for the native, ..
Sounds like a few sites I have to visit in Australia!!

The food is normally good, as they work on the principle that if you are well fed, you are less likely to complain about all the other sh!t you have to put up with.

TD
Old Mar 10th 2013, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

well hubby flew off this afternoon without half of the stuff he bought as he is only allowed 10kg for the sea plane to take, we've looked at the area he is going on google, it wasnt as scary as I thought it would be, but its bang in the middle of junggle, but sadly all the trees have been pulled out to clear for the copper mines & other mines in the same area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.