Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hubby can't give blood!!!

Wikiposts

Hubby can't give blood!!!

Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:48 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hubby can't give blood!!!

Originally Posted by 232Bar
National Blood Service figures by ppulation/blood type shows type B present in only 10% of the population and of that RhBneg is only 2% - Not sure about you, but being only 1 of 2% of the population makes me feel pretty rare

Only one more rare is ABneg at 1% and AB+ is close at 3%

well I'm glad someone said that, because I also thought it was supposed to be rare. I'm with you 232.....RhBneg
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:51 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

All us B negs should stick together lol - you never know when we might need each other
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
well I'm glad someone said that, because I also thought it was supposed to be rare. I'm with you 232.....RhBneg
Same here it always made me laugh that I knew 4 people plus my mother that were the same blood group as me when it was supposed to be so rare. Both my mom and I have never been allowed to give blood as we neither of us have enough for ourselves Mom tried to give blood in the UK once and they did the test to see if she was anaemic and sent her straight to the hospital as apparently they were amazed that she could even walk .
I will have to build up a new support network now that we are in OZ as I am sure that knowing people in the Uk with the same blood group is pretty useless.
I took the forms to put us all on the organ donor register here as we were on it in the UK and they weren't sure whether they allowed people from the UK on that here. I have filled the forms in anyway so we shall see.
Nicky
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:14 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skywalker
A friend of mine has 0 negative, is it rare, too? I think so...
Rhesus negative blood is rare, only 1 in 10 people have it. O is common, but O neg is a universal donor so anyone can have it but O neg donors cant recieve rhesus positive blood. I'm O negative and think I'm quite special and I did donate in the UK but am quite glad that I have an excuse not to donate anymore cos after donating the last few times I would become quite faint and need to the fanning and being tipped back treatment. Probably doesn't help that I have a bit of a needle phobia, shame on me cos I'm a nurse and a bit of a masochist I suppose! I hate having needles stuck in me! :scared:
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:09 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Hubby who is B neg a rarish blood group, has given blood in the UK for years without problems. Went to Aus donor van today and was turned away as they can't take blood off him because he lived in Uk for more than 6 months during the CJD era.

Apparantly new test coming out this year sometime then they may reconsider. Suprised they didn't test for that at medicals as they tested for everything else under the cold grey UK sun.
This is a well known thing. I haven't even bothered trying. It's a shame really because the blood service is always saying it's short of supplies but won't / can't take a chance on British blood when the chance is minute. Then again, the cost of a human life is infinite I guess .....
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:00 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

don't quote me on this, but i think they can still take part of your blood (plasma maybe). or i think you can donate it to research.

Originally Posted by wmoore
This is a well known thing. I haven't even bothered trying. It's a shame really because the blood service is always saying it's short of supplies but won't / can't take a chance on British blood when the chance is minute. Then again, the cost of a human life is infinite I guess .....
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:55 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the Frequency of blood groups in the Australian population!
Attached Thumbnails Hubby can't give blood!!!-graph_bloodtypes.jpg  
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:05 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

See he's a 2% you'd think they would want him but then ony 2% need him...LOL.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

This is interesting as I am unable to donate blood here in Australia (did in the UK - 'O' Positive) and yet when asked if I would like to have 'yes' or 'no' for donating organs on my driving licence and I said said 'yes', I now have a big, fat, "Y" on my licence.

So it would seem I'm good enough to donate my organs (all of them) but not good enough to donate blood...weird....
Old Jan 10th 2006, 8:49 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steandleigh
This is interesting as I am unable to donate blood here in Australia (did in the UK - 'O' Positive) and yet when asked if I would like to have 'yes' or 'no' for donating organs on my driving licence and I said said 'yes', I now have a big, fat, "Y" on my licence.

So it would seem I'm good enough to donate my organs (all of them) but not good enough to donate blood...weird....
Maybe that's why they are taking it off the driving licences as they realised and don't want you...LOL... in QLD they are stopping that as well.