Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hubby can't give blood!!!

Hubby can't give blood!!!

Old Jan 9th 2006, 6:32 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Hubby can't give blood!!!

Hubby who is B neg a rarish blood group, has given blood in the UK for years without problems. Went to Aus donor van today and was turned away as they can't take blood off him because he lived in Uk for more than 6 months during the CJD era.

Apparantly new test coming out this year sometime then they may reconsider. Suprised they didn't test for that at medicals as they tested for everything else under the cold grey UK sun.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hubby can't give blood!!!

Its been discussed a few times, its anyone sending time in the Uk since about 1981 and they won't touch your blood. Personally I'd take the risk of CJD if having a transfusion was going to save my life, but you're not given the option of that.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a transfusion last year and was a bit worried at the time, but if I hadnt had it god knows what would have happened
Im certainly no madder than I was before
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Hubby who is B neg a rarish blood group, has given blood in the UK for years without problems. Went to Aus donor van today and was turned away as they can't take blood off him because he lived in Uk for more than 6 months during the CJD era.

Apparantly new test coming out this year sometime then they may reconsider. Suprised they didn't test for that at medicals as they tested for everything else under the cold grey UK sun.
I have B neg blood as well we need to set up our own list so that if we need blood we can get the hospital to call as we are all obviously infected anyway .
My Mom is the same and can't give blood in the USA for the same reasons but then everyone knows that we are both mad cows
Nicky
Old Jan 9th 2006, 7:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Being a Pom I can't give blood either but, interestingly, I CAN give bone marrow.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:20 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

I am the hubby in question and I was also on the Anthony Nolan register in the UK - through to the 2nd stage at one point!! :scared: :scared:

Woman on the donor van was a pom as well and told me that was out as well for the same reason...is she right or wrong?? - you'd think they'd all at least be on the same sheet wouldn't you?

Last edited by 232Bar; Jan 9th 2006 at 8:21 am. Reason: my speeling was carp
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:36 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The same issue doesn't seem to apply to organ donations - see further down this thread -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321628
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:38 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she was just making it up as she knows how much I can drink LOL
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:05 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Maybe she was just making it up as she knows how much I can drink LOL
I think the only place my body is good for is a research lab sponsored by the big brewers, Cascade, Stella, Boddingtons, Morlands, Crestas......
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Being a Pom I can't give blood either but, interestingly, I CAN give bone marrow.
Would I be able to donate bone marrow, or is it just blood thats the problem after a transfusion
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:28 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

B neg is not that rare but you are right about us POMS being the great unwashed when it comes to giving blood.

I was a regular donor in the UK but was turned away here. Aussies loss I suppose.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by menace
B neg is not that rare but you are right about us POMS being the great unwashed when it comes to giving blood.

I was a regular donor in the UK but was turned away here. Aussies loss I suppose.
My Mom nearly died because they couldn't get the blood to her for a transfusion as she is B neg and there wasn't any locally. However I know loads of people that are B Neg so I am making my own list that they can call in case I ever have the same problem .
Nicky
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:10 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyP
My Mom nearly died because they couldn't get the blood to her for a transfusion as she is B neg and there wasn't any locally. However I know loads of people that are B Neg so I am making my own list that they can call in case I ever have the same problem .
Nicky
Ok, add me to the B neg list.

It is actually tattooed on my arm as a legacy of my time in the forces.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:22 am
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine has 0 negative, is it rare, too? I think so...
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I find this wierd as Red Cross are always making appeals 'because of a blood shortage'...if they took all this Pommie blood they would be OK.

It is even more amusing as I have been a veggie for ever, so I am only likely to be infected with CJD through consuming too many antibiotics (which are coated in beef extract for correction digestion)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.