Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Hubby can't give blood!!!

Hubby can't give blood!!!

Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:24 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hubby can't give blood!!!

Originally Posted by skywalker
A friend of mine has 0 negative, is it rare, too? I think so...
0 negative is not only rare but unique!!! i think you mean O neg?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:27 am
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by menace
0 negative is not only rare but unique!!! i think you mean O neg?

Right!
So, is it rare?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:30 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Right!
So, is it rare?
Naa, common as muck.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:42 am
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Naa, common as muck.
Yeah...I'm sure of it!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 10:48 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NickyP
My Mom nearly died because they couldn't get the blood to her for a transfusion as she is B neg and there wasn't any locally. However I know loads of people that are B Neg so I am making my own list that they can call in case I ever have the same problem .
Nicky

you can add me to the B neg list too.....and I was also shocked about not being able to give blood. Surely the incubation period for CJD can't be more than 20 years?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 232Bar
I am the hubby in question and I was also on the Anthony Nolan register in the UK - through to the 2nd stage at one point!! :scared: :scared:

Woman on the donor van was a pom as well and told me that was out as well for the same reason...is she right or wrong?? - you'd think they'd all at least be on the same sheet wouldn't you?
Me too, I went on to second stage. Either the woman you spoke to is wrong or the rules are different in Queensland. I've certainly been for further testing here in WA and am on the bone marrow register here in Perth.

You can't become a new donor here though, only if you were on the Anthony Nolan register when you migrated.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 12:17 pm
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

i Feel left out feel like posting so thought i would tell you both me and hubby are A rh + so if i need blood will be asking hubby to give it me NOW.

Poshrice
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:46 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Right!
So, is it rare?
If you have o neg blood, you are part of 15% of the popluation who has this blood, so YES it is rare.

Not only that, but it is known as the univeral donor, as it is usually used for all transfusions where the blood type isn't known. I say usually as there are a couple of exceptions, and no I don't know them.

I know all this as I am o neg, hubby is o pos and it could have caused us problems when I was pregnant. So I found out more about my blood group so I was better armed if anything happened.

Hope that helps
Old Jan 9th 2006, 2:39 pm
Gold Member

Originally Posted by ub40fan
If you have o neg blood, you are part of 15% of the popluation who has this blood, so YES it is rare.

Not only that, but it is known as the univeral donor, as it is usually used for all transfusions where the blood type isn't known. I say usually as there are a couple of exceptions, and no I don't know them.

I know all this as I am o neg, hubby is o pos and it could have caused us problems when I was pregnant. So I found out more about my blood group so I was better armed if anything happened.

Hope that helps
Thanks! so there are serious problems at birth? I mean between a 0 neg and a pos one?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:19 pm
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! so there are serious problems at birth? I mean between a 0 neg and a pos one?
There could be, if you have a baby that is pos and it isn't noticed then that can cause problems for any subsequent pregnancies. The cords were tested as soon as I had given birth so I could be given the Anti D injection if necessary. Luckily for me my first two babies were also o neg and so i didn't need the injection until my daughter was born as she is o pos like her dad!

When you are pregnant and your blood is tested, if it is neg it is put on your notes in red so it stands out, just like an allergy does!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:29 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

There could be, if you have a baby that is pos and it isn't noticed then that can cause problems for any subsequent pregnancies. The cords were tested as soon as I had given birth so I could be given the Anti D injection if necessary. Luckily for me my first two babies were also o neg and so i didn't need the injection until my daughter was born as she is o pos like her dad!

When you are pregnant and your blood is tested, if it is neg it is put on your notes in red so it stands out, just like an allergy does!
My sister in law had the same problem when she was pregnant. I cant remember who was positive and who was negative out of her and my brother, but she had a course of injections in early pregnancy which could help to safeguard future pregnancies. I think its a relatively new procedure though. Wont know if it has worked until she has another though
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:39 pm
Gold Member

Thanks!
It seems that there are not serious concerns!
Old Jan 9th 2006, 3:49 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

is the not being able to give blood in australia on a time scale? ive given 25+ over here in the uk, and would like to carry on. i am also on the anthony nolan bone marrow list, so would be interested in that varies from state to state as it has been suggested?
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:33 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

currently the only test to confirm you have cjd requires the test subject to be dead. well, that's the least risky way anyway. a simple blood test won't do it, and a risky brain biopsy is required. don't think it would make sense to test for this for migration purposes. plus this only works if cjd has taken hold. if the prions are present, but not active i think it won't find anything.

Originally Posted by annqldau
Apparantly new test coming out this year sometime then they may reconsider. Suprised they didn't test for that at medicals as they tested for everything else under the cold grey UK sun.

Last edited by brisnick; Jan 9th 2006 at 9:37 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:26 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

B neg is not that rare
National Blood Service figures by ppulation/blood type shows type B present in only 10% of the population and of that RhBneg is only 2% - Not sure about you, but being only 1 of 2% of the population makes me feel pretty rare

Only one more rare is ABneg at 1% and AB+ is close at 3%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.