Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

HSBC Savings Account 10%!

HSBC Savings Account 10%!

Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:47 pm
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough
Default HSBC Savings Account 10%!

Wow. http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/s.../regular-saver

How come us Australians don't get deals like that? Especially when the interest rate is much higher than the UK!
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HSBC Savings Account 10%!

Originally Posted by CasualObserver1
Wow. http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/personal/s.../regular-saver

How come us Australians don't get deals like that? Especially when the interest rate is much higher than the UK!
Only allowed to invest 250 quid a month though, max interest is 163 pounds.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 10:53 pm
Banned

CasualObserver1 will become famous soon enoughCasualObserver1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by freebo
Only allowed to invest 250 quid a month though, max interest is 163 pounds.
Oh didn't see that. Still there is nothing in Australia that pays that.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh didn't see that. Still there is nothing in Australia that pays that.
Because the British banking system is the best in the world. It's hard to compete with such excellence.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 11:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Because the British banking system is the best in the world. It's hard to compete with such excellence.
Why do Australian banks offer such low rates though. Especially when interest rates are higher.

Last edited by CasualObserver1; Jan 14th 2011 at 12:03 am.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:03 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

What's that got to do with why Australian banks offer such low rates?

HSBC isn't British either.
You asked why nothing in Australia pays the same as the British account that you listed.

Although HSBC is a global company it is head-quartered in London. It's a global bank controlled from Britain.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jan 14th 2011 at 12:05 am.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:05 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
This link you gave was for a British account and although HSBC is a global company it is head-quartered in London.

You asked why nothing in Australia pays the same as the British account that you listed.
I revised my comment after posting. Should have been clearer.

It's annoying that British banks can offer higher rates than Australia when Britain's economy is supposed to be in turmoil.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting 6% here and my dad was telling me he's getting 0.6% in UK.

I'm quite happy with that! (ANZ doing me proud actually! )
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jothefw

Yes but the cash rate is 4.75%. 6% means ANZ are only giving you 1.25% about the cash rate.

That's not great.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:12 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jothefw

You can still get savings accounts for 5% in the UK. That's 4.5% above the Bank of England's rate of 0.5%.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

You can still get savings accounts for 5% in the UK. That's 4.5% above the Bank of England's rate of 0.5%.
I'd be grateful if you could name one, best I could find was 2.9%, which doesn't even keep pace with inflation.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:12 am
Banned

I'd be grateful if you could name one, best I could find was 2.9%, which doesn't even keep pace with inflation.
HSBC .
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

HSBC .
Aside from the 250pm max regular savings accounts I see no 5% here HSBC UK Rates
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:38 am
Banned

Aside from the 250pm max regular savings accounts I see no 5% here HSBC UK Rates
That's the one I am referring to. What I meant is why can't Australia offer a similar or better product. Surely if the banks are making so much profit it's not too much to ask for better products.
Old Jan 14th 2011, 1:45 am
Banned

That's the one I am referring to. What I meant is why can't Australia offer a similar or better product. Surely if the banks are making so much profit it's not too much to ask for better products.
If you are a HSBC Premier account holder the account will let you save around $6000 AU equivalent per year at 10%. There is nothing to rival that here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.