Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How are you finding the UK housing market at the moment.

How are you finding the UK housing market at the moment.

Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud of
Wink Re: How are you finding the UK housing market at the moment.

Originally Posted by babyboo2101
Our house has been on the market for two days and we have had 16 viewings already, cant cope with them all queing down the front path!!....thought it was odd, after a quick check it appears that the Estate Agent missed a couple of zero's off in the advert! - £1470 for a 3 bed semi

sorry probably in bad taste that!
I am pmsl that is soooooo funny !!!!!

A x
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How are you finding the UK housing market at the moment.

Originally Posted by Amanda&Phil
I am pmsl that is soooooo funny !!!!!

A x
Our house has been on market since May - sold within 2 days for full asking buyer pulled out after 12 weeks:curse:

Lots of people viewing who are not in position to proceed but want to buy when they sell, so told EA that we only wanted people to view who could make offer. Was slow for couple of weeks but market must be picking up 'cos we have 3 viewing this week (2 tomorrow so keep your fingers x'd)

Laura
Old Sep 26th 2007, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud of
Wink Re: How are you finding the UK housing market at the moment.

House on market for 17 days no viewings, then got one on day 18 put in offer the next day. Waiting for valuation then yest called me to say can only get mtge for 5k less. I got another 1k out of them then said ok so fingers crossed surveyor should be ringing anyday. It really is horrendous at the mo. It does pick up in the next 6 weeks (im a mtge advisor) as peeps want to get in for xmas so cross your fingers.

Im still laughing my head off at that post about 16 viewings and £1470 !!

A x
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Reedy
Our house has been on market since May - sold within 2 days for full asking buyer pulled out after 12 weeks:curse:

Lots of people viewing who are not in position to proceed but want to buy when they sell, so told EA that we only wanted people to view who could make offer. Was slow for couple of weeks but market must be picking up 'cos we have 3 viewing this week (2 tomorrow so keep your fingers x'd)

Laura
Hi
You should still allow people who are not in postion to buy, view.
How do you know they will not sell before you.
Shame to loose a possible buyer.
Isle
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:43 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Very very slow

10 weeks on the market - 5 viewings
One couple put in an asking price offer about 5 weeks ago but their buyer didnt have a buyer (and still doesnt)
Accepted an offer yesterday at about 5% less than the asking price. It is a bit less than we wanted but still reasonable and in the current market we have decided to take it and run

Just to give a little perspective on this - the estate where we live is well known for houses coming onto the market and selling in a couple of weeks max. Talking to other people trying to sell around here they all say the same thing - there is just no-one coming through the door at the moment.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:50 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

Not meaning to rain on anyone's parade, but after 6 weeks of no viewings with our (recommended) agent we took on another. Had 7 viewings in the following week, accepted an offer £4k over what we were asking, and move out this weekend.

Taken less than 8 weeks start to finish! Happy Days

Suppose it also helps that we're closer to the bottom of the ladder than the top!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

linds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nicelinds is just really nice

We have been on for 4 months, first viewer wanted it but are struggling to sell theirs! dropped price 10,000 still no more viewings. If one more persons says you will get someone soon i will land them one!!!!!!!!:curse: P...ed of with the lot of it but more determined to leave the uk!!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:10 pm
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough

Bop till you drop i suppose?

http://www.findaproperty.com/display...&storyid=20819

Take all the good with all the bad?

Sellers have had a great run over the past ten years?

Now its the buyers turn over the next ten years, maybe? Nothing lasts forever, now comm'on?

Bull to Bear then Bear to Bull, and i love the bears?

Good luck to all those priced out at the moment, good luck to the sellers aswell, at least if you are selling you have made some equity?
Not all bad?

God i love this house selling saga/soap, it really does bring some greed to this forum?

Last edited by Nursebank; Sep 26th 2007 at 9:12 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isle
Hi
You should still allow people who are not in postion to buy, view.
How do you know they will not sell before you.
Shame to loose a possible buyer.
Isle
Isle,

Normally I would agree but after cleaning, yelling at the kids, cleaning some more and having 3 potential buyers who are still not in a position to proceed I decide to edge my bets...

We haven't had visa grant yet so are not that bothered at the moment.

Laura
Old Sep 26th 2007, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Issie
You cannot earn anything from it though as you will be taxed......

Depends on a persons own financial situation. Average rent + low morgtage = profit even after tax.

We are fortunate (or unfortunate enough to be renting ours out. The market here is flat so what the hell! Btw Dad's bungalow been on the market about 3 months and lots of viewings with only 1 silly offer
Old Sep 26th 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really niceHel&Will is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
Our buyers, buyer has dropped out and broken the chain...

We had flights booked for the 5th of November as well. They where just so cheap... Not to OZ but to Ireland to visit parents before we leave on the big one...phew'

I have told our buyer not to worry and I'll hold on to the house for him for another month. Did I do the right thing?

So I was just wondering how are you finding selling your houses, has it gone slow out there?

We where so near as well...

Sorry to hear about your buyers dilemma. It definately has not gone slow here in the South East near Gatwick. House was on market 3 days with 3 viewings and 2 offers so we now have a first time buyer with another one in reserve. House was also priced higher than any others have been around our area. We had spoken with Estate Agents back in June and told them we would want to move out end of December - they advised us to put it on the market no earlier than September as it would sell within a week and they were right. I have realised that this is not the case in other parts of the UK.

Good luck

Helen
Old Sep 26th 2007, 10:09 pm
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hel&Will
Sorry to hear about your buyers dilemma. It definately has not gone slow here in the South East near Gatwick. House was on market 3 days with 3 viewings and 2 offers so we now have a first time buyer with another one in reserve. House was also priced higher than any others have been around our area. We had spoken with Estate Agents back in June and told them we would want to move out end of December - they advised us to put it on the market no earlier than September as it would sell within a week and they were right. I have realised that this is not the case in other parts of the UK.

Good luck

Helen
You are lucky, as you live in South East near Gatwick, plane spotters will pay the maximum price for a house.

I just love the southerner's Essex spin?

BTW, if it falls through, you could always rent it to all those immigrants waiting to "Rent a room"?
Old Sep 27th 2007, 8:31 am
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Exclamation Re: How are you finding the UK housing market at the moment.

I just don't get it

http://money.guardian.co.uk/housepri...177979,00.html

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle2541918.ece

I love migrants(increasing population), they do wonders with the house supply...

But who has all this money???

</IMG>
Old Sep 27th 2007, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point

The local BBC news reported 2 days ago that house prices have dropped for the last 3 consecutive months in our area.

Guess they have risen as an average across the country.

To be honest, the more upbeat stories in the press the better, the media are responsible for exasperating all the housing crashes of the past. I wish they'd just not speculate so much. It panics people and then the market suffers.

I tell everyone that the market is improving in the hope the word spreads.

Last edited by Up To Late; Sep 27th 2007 at 10:43 am. Reason: typo
Old Sep 27th 2007, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Up To Late
The local BBC news reported 2 days ago that house prices have dropped for the last 3 consecutive months in our area.

Guess they have risen as an average across the country.

To be honest, the more upbeat stories in the press the better, the media are responsible for exasperating all the housing crashes of the past. I wish they'd just not speculate so much. It panics people and then the market suffers.

I tell everyone that the market is improving in the hope the word spreads.
Totally agree with you there...they do the doom and gloom thing and it spreads! <Yes...everything is peachy here, house been on since the 5th of this month...no viewers as yet, by those poor buyers aren't aware of the wonders of our home. ****** estate agents and their new boards! >

Listen....no worries here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.