Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How would you feel - privacy or security?

How would you feel - privacy or security?

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:37 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Question How would you feel - privacy or security?

There is a plan to bring in scanning machines at airports that basically scan the whole person, an X-Ray type of machine. There is a hoo ha by the civil liberties people saying it's too intrusive.

What's your view?

Is your privacy more important than security or are you happy for a security guard to check out your dangly bits
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 10:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How would you feel - privacy or security?

Not bothered at all by it. Security is an important issue in the airline industry, and nobody is forcing anyone to fly. If you don't like the security then by all means find another mode of transport.

I remember years ago flying from Miami to Toronto. I was 6 months pregnant with my son at the time and when it was time to go through the scanner thingy the security woman said "no, you're pregnant, you don't need to go through security". No pat down, no wand over me, nothing. How the hell did she know it was actually a baby in there and not a giant bomb strapped to my waist in a round basket?
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:15 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Not bothered at all by it. Security is an important issue in the airline industry, and nobody is forcing anyone to fly. If you don't like the security then by all means find another mode of transport.

I remember years ago flying from Miami to Toronto. I was 6 months pregnant with my son at the time and when it was time to go through the scanner thingy the security woman said "no, you're pregnant, you don't need to go through security". No pat down, no wand over me, nothing. How the hell did she know it was actually a baby in there and not a giant bomb strapped to my waist in a round basket?
I agree. I would rather lose my dignity than my life.

And you make a good point re pregnant women. The scanner doesn't look big enough so I suppose they will hand scan

As for you not being checked when you were pregnant, you're right, that was foolish on their part and the stupidy is scary
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

mancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to allmancfamily is a name known to all

Security is the most important thing, I mean they're not going to be looking at people and having a perve at our bits and pieces.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancfamily
Security is the most important thing, I mean they're not going to be looking at people and having a perve at our bits and pieces.
They will - but it won't matter until one bloke gets caught calling his fellow operators over to his screen - then we will all have a chuckle at the news story.

I don't care - the operator will only see what MrsB gets to see. A magnifying glass you say?
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:42 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Civil liberty lot wind me up most of the time. Whilst they could be doing brilliant stuff, they get caught up in arguing ridiculous cases. Who, in their right minds, would argue that a person's private space is more important than a plane load of people flying safely? We go through metal scanners and remove our shoes now, what's the difference - should be more straightforward as you won't have to find that harmless piece of metal in your belt you didn't know was there
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

When I flew pregnant I was given a thorough pat down, bump and boobs! But I also did go through the scanner?
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
There is a plan to bring in scanning machines at airports that basically scan the whole person, an X-Ray type of machine. There is a hoo ha by the civil liberties people saying it's too intrusive.

What's your view?

Is your privacy more important than security or are you happy for a security guard to check out your dangly bits

Wouldn't be bothered at all, all for security. Would rather have too much OTT security personally than too little.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:38 pm

Should a persons privacy / dignity outweigh the safety of others who are the majority?

Personally I agree that in this day and age safety has to come first.

I wonder if it shows up intimate body piercings
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 2:53 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I would far rather someone got a 10 second laugh looking at my bits than risk being blown to pieces on the plane. Simple as that really.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 1:10 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with you all - security comes first. And they're not going to see anything I haven't already shown off on a European beach.

Well I guess they'll see a couple of stones extra, but...
Old Oct 4th 2008, 2:03 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I remember years ago flying from Miami to Toronto. I was 6 months pregnant with my son at the time and when it was time to go through the scanner thingy the security woman said "no, you're pregnant, you don't need to go through security". No pat down, no wand over me, nothing. How the hell did she know it was actually a baby in there and not a giant bomb strapped to my waist in a round basket?[/QUOTE]

I would say that a few years ago no one was particularly thinking that there were people that would have bombs strapped to their waists, but times have changed massively in the last couple of years-its a sad place that we have to be suspicious of women carrying babies as they are just as likely to be maniacal bombers as anyone else.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 4:17 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I don't miss here is the never-ending feeling of being watched that I got when I lived in the UK. Cameras absolutely everywhere - Big Brother peering down at you wherever you went. It did not make me feel any safer, it made me feel oppressed. That said - I have no problem with the full body scans at airports - rather that than ridiculous bans on bottles of water ...
Old Oct 4th 2008, 7:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
I would say that a few years ago no one was particularly thinking that there were people that would have bombs strapped to their waists, but times have changed massively in the last couple of years-its a sad place that we have to be suspicious of women carrying babies as they are just as likely to be maniacal bombers as anyone else.[/QUOTE]
Its always been the case with El Al that they see women as the main risk because of the traditional obedience to their menfolk in Middle Eastern culture. Back in the 70s and 80s the surest way to get a strip search before boarding was to be a white female travelling alone, and if you were pregnant they would want to check it wasn't soemthing else you were carrying.
Old Oct 4th 2008, 11:40 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Well if they want to see me naked then good luck to them. Ha ha ha. Well they will be jealous of my all bought and paid for physique. Beer and all that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.