Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how things are changing in the u.k..!!

how things are changing in the u.k..!!

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how things are changing in the u.k..!!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
You didn't seem to read Aston's first post. He was asking if his current experience was being repeated in other parts of the country - ie UK. Pull your neck in G.
I know what his post was about.....and where it was meant to lead.

G
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:56 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
History of the Polish Community in Birmingham.

Poles have been in Brum since the 40s.
Yes Vash, and I am just one of those sons whose father still remains an active member of the Polish Community at Digbeth. Worth a visit as they make you feel welcome and their deli/shop stocks all those biscuits, breads and small goods.

Just watch the vwodkaaaaa

My father found it difficult to settle in the 40's and 50's but soon found work as a toolsetter at IMI Kynoch - Witton. He would be heartened by the posts.

And here I am in Australia - we Poles do like to get a round

Nazdrowie

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The OH

And here I am in Australia - we Poles do like to get a round
Shhhh!!!

You don't want to upset the Brit migrants do you?

G
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Cardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to allCardos is a name known to all

this year is bordering on recession.bricklayers were earning £200 a day finishing at 3 and doing half a shift on a friday.not anymore there is talk now of £100 a shift..
I really dont mean to course offence with this post, but c'mon.........£200 a shift.........half days????????.......most or many professionals, certainly in the North would struggle to earn that kind of money, and as for factory/manual production workers, they are earning little over that a week without overtime.....BEFORE tax.

I can see how it would be awful once someone has become used to a certain income, and then see it half'd..........but I think bringing tradies and semi skilled/skilled labourer's wages into line with the average working Joe is a good thing, after all it is the average Joe that tends to employee the services of this section of the work force.....either directly or indirectly.

Just my thought's on what I read, having said all that, if there was to be a huge influx of migrant systems admin's into the Lancashire area, and my wages where half'd, I too would be complaining.

Last edited by Cardos; Feb 23rd 2007 at 8:08 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aston man
i was reading in my local news paper last night how polish is now the second language in my home town.
my wife told me last week that they had started to put up street signs in polish ,i thought she was pulling my leg until i saw them for myself.

not that it bothers me in the slightest they are all hard working people and i'm off.

i dont think my partner would have the same opinion as me though ,hes just doubled his mortgage and the rug has been pulled from under us in the building trade..we have had to watch our wages halve in the last two years.this year is bordering on recession.bricklayers were earning £200 a day finishing at 3 and doing half a shift on a friday.not anymore there is talk now of £100 a shift..

i dont know if other parts of the country are the same?

aston..
Ast, my friends in my hometown in the U.K (St.Helens) tell me the same thing ...so I wonder if they will put signs up in the languages of other nationals? There are already many signs over there and by the time you manage to read them all (if you do) you have gone past your turn off ...Bindi.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vin 'n Bin
Ast, my friends in my hometown in the U.K (St.Helens) tell me the same thing ...so I wonder if they will put signs up in the languages of other nationals? There are already many signs over there and by the time you manage to read them all (if you do) you have gone past your turn off ...Bindi.
It's good in Perth. They don't even bother with signs - so you've no idea where you're going anyhow!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I've been in Perth for three and a half years and still can't find my way about ...I spent 31 years in Adelaide and it was easy
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I know what his post was about.....and where it was meant to lead.

G
Bloody hell A mind reader from a distance as well as your other skills - Seriously impressed G
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

aston..
I know they are doing road works on the A49 on the Shropshire/Cheshire border area and have put up lots of diversion and road signs in Polish. Apparently tho, (so says the local council), this is for Polish lorry drivers (and not local Polish population) who don't understand the signs and keep getting into trouble.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice

i was reading in my local news paper last night how polish is now the second language in my home town.
my wife told me last week that they had started to put up street signs in polish ,i thought she was pulling my leg until i saw them for myself.

not that it bothers me in the slightest they are all hard working people and i'm off.

i dont think my partner would have the same opinion as me though ,hes just doubled his mortgage and the rug has been pulled from under us in the building trade..we have had to watch our wages halve in the last two years.this year is bordering on recession.bricklayers were earning £200 a day finishing at 3 and doing half a shift on a friday.not anymore there is talk now of £100 a shift..

aston..
I just wish they would learn the language when they come here. Sometimes feels like I am in Poland!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilso16
I just wish they would learn the language when they come here. Sometimes feels like I am in Poland!
That's probably no bad thing bearing in mind the slagging off that the UK gets from Brits.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

There was a big debate about these Polish signs on the Jeremy Vine show last week. (Yes I have no job and lots of time to listen to the radio!) The ones they were talking about are not permanent signs, they are temporary ones to do with a diversion. As someone else said, they are for Polish truckers, not local people.
Personally I think anyone driving in the UK should understand UK signs, otherwise they are not safe - but in the meantime, which is preferable - accidents because of sticking to a principle or compromising to keep the roads safe?

Regarding the wages being cut to £100 a day - that is about what supply teachers get for going in to schools where permanent members of staff have quit or are off with stress etc because the behaviour is so bad. Don't complain about it!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

sparkiedoo is a jewel in the roughsparkiedoo is a jewel in the roughsparkiedoo is a jewel in the roughsparkiedoo is a jewel in the roughsparkiedoo is a jewel in the rough
Cool Re: how things are changing in the u.k..!!

my brother in law has not worked ,from before christmas.he was with the same company for about two years as a self employed partitioner,he just cannot compete with cheap labour..guess where he is on about going..jeez
up here in scotland we have the same problem.......that why i am COMING TO OZ at least i will get a full weeks WORK.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
that's a fair comment - I think the Poles do have more of a shared sense of culture than most if not all of the islamic peoples.

S
Does it mean all the hard working Polish are paying taxes. What concerns me about the UK is that our systems are being put under strain because of the lack of spoken English etc. This is not an attack on individuals but our government as a whole.

For example my husband worked for a charity / govt agency that helped people over come addiction and other mental health issues. The tax payers were paying for translators for the sessions (sometimes £100's per person).

Not sure if this makes sense but should we have to be translating from our own native language so people can use our services. Councils have departments that translate documents for non english speaking people. Its not just about whether the person does a good job and pays taxes its the bigger picture about how they integrate to the English way of life. We are definately having to accept a new England.

I am getting a big chip on my shoulder about being a white, able bodied english speaking person!!! I am not sure I fit in anymore. England has gone PC mad.

If what I right offends please give me your view and perhaps I can change my outlook.
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Does it mean all the hard working Polish are paying taxes. What concerns me about the UK is that our systems are being put under strain because of the lack of spoken English etc. This is not an attack on individuals but our government as a whole.

For example my husband worked for a charity / govt agency that helped people over come addiction and other mental health issues. The tax payers were paying for translators for the sessions (sometimes £100's per person).

Not sure if this makes sense but should we have to be translating from our own native language so people can use our services. Councils have departments that translate documents for non english speaking people. Its not just about whether the person does a good job and pays taxes its the bigger picture about how they integrate to the English way of life. We are definately having to accept a new England.

I am getting a big chip on my shoulder about being a white, able bodied english speaking person!!! I am not sure I fit in anymore. England has gone PC mad.

If what I right offends please give me your view and perhaps I can change my outlook.
I think, regardless of what the Daily Mail and it's ilk may write, that it is only a very very small proportion of immigrants who don't learn English. This is made easier by the fact that the White Middle Class Official has decided it's right and proper to give all this information in other languages. Why should some of these people make the effort if they don't have to.

If I moved to Poland and wanted to live and work there, I would expect to have to learn the language to get by. I don't know but do they produce all their paperwork in other languages for immigrants?

Unfortunately the over zealous part of the PC brigade is influencing all Western civilisations now. Were it down to the general population there would be far less of the strong stuff and people would get on a whole lot better. It's when you are told how to behave that people's hackles rise although 9 times out of ten it is the White Middle Class Official telling us what they think the immigrants want to hear, not the people trying to live their lives. I believe that they just want to get on and make things better for themselves like everyone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.