Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How a thief can get into your locked suitcase..

How a thief can get into your locked suitcase..

Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:59 pm
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default How a thief can get into your locked suitcase..

Simple but effective
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Openingabaggage.wmv (4.56 MB, 498 views)
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How a thief can get into your locked suitcase..

What the hec! I was just thinking the other day that I need to get some new locks for our cases. Perhaps I will have to reconsider what to use now.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:53 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
Simple but effective
Yikes! I think I'll get my suitcase vacuum wrapped in future.

Thanks for sharing that.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 9:47 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Personally I've never even used the locks on my suitcase. They look relatively easy to get into if you are into that sort of things. Besides, I've always figured a lock would just attract the attention of theives to the fact that there are probably valuables in the bag.

Anything trutly valuable gets taken with out carry-on. Anything too big or has some value we will pay the extra few dollars to put insurance on at the airport.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 10:55 pm
Forum Regular

thedons will become famous soon enoughthedons will become famous soon enough

That's brilliant always used a lock and have done for years!!!!!
Glad wrap from now on can't wait to show the wife this she has locks on all our bags.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:46 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Locking bags when travelling isnt necessarily so much to stop people taking stuff OUT of your bags as to make sure you know nobody (baggage handlers etc) has put anything IN them - if a potential smuggler has ANY doubt that your bag might make a suitable mule for the short but dangerous journey through customs checkpoints then they will more than likely pick someone elses (there are plenty of easy to get into bags floating around ariports).

Having said that - that is quite a powerful demonstration of how useless locks are at all!!!
Old May 1st 2009, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

or get a hard case that has no zips to undo!
Old May 1st 2009, 12:47 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

thats a bit of a wake up!
Old May 1st 2009, 2:09 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Same video online for people wary of downloads ....

Old May 1st 2009, 8:23 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just about someone taking things out or putting things in at the airport. I bet theres a few people who have stored valuable stuff in a locked suitcase whilst staying in a hotel where theres no safety deposit box. I know I have.
Old May 1st 2009, 9:25 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I never lock cases. As my Dad always says, locks only keep out honest people.

If people want to get into my case they will, and I'd rather they didn't make a mess. Nothing other than clothes and toiletries goes in my checked-in luggage. I've travelled many, many thousands of miles to a lot of countries and never (she says, tempting fate) had anything taken.
Old May 1st 2009, 10:03 am
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by Seasider
I never lock cases. As my Dad always says, locks only keep out honest people.

If people want to get into my case they will, and I'd rather they didn't make a mess. Nothing other than clothes and toiletries goes in my checked-in luggage. I've travelled many, many thousands of miles to a lot of countries and never (she says, tempting fate) had anything taken.
I must remember to sneak that kilo of charlie in your case then next time you fly
Old May 1st 2009, 11:52 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I must remember to sneak that kilo of charlie in your case then next time you fly
If I worried about things like that, I'd never leave home.
Old May 1st 2009, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Personally I've never even used the locks on my suitcase. They look relatively easy to get into if you are into that sort of things..
At senior school (as you would call it) all students had lockers with identcal padlocks. But obviously every key didn't open every padlock.

My brother figured out, that they did... if you file them down a bit.

I won't implicate myself in the things he/others did, but no locker was safe.

Seriously, any padlock smaller than a matchbox can be opened easily (usually by another key from the same type of padlock thats been filed down a bit)

So a crappy padlock and a zipper means you are stuffed.

JTL
Old May 1st 2009, 7:47 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just about someone taking things out or putting things in at the airport. I bet theres a few people who have stored valuable stuff in a locked suitcase whilst staying in a hotel where theres no safety deposit box. I know I have.
Quite right. It looks like a hard case is the way to go. It's a shame that they tend to weigh a lot more.