Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How to 'sell' emigration to a 7 year old...

How to 'sell' emigration to a 7 year old...

Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all
Default Re: How to 'sell' emigration to a 7 year old...

Somehow we have managed to get our kids so excited about going that they give out to me because it's not coming quick enough.
We have shown them every program we can find about australia, also have been on the net, found some great pictures of what they'll be able to experience once over there, like this sanctuary: http://www.currumbin-sanctuary.org.au/, or the australia zoo: http://www.australiazoo.com.au/australia_zoo/. They really loved that one, saying that's the man from the telly!!
They have seen the programs a new life down under, and we've shown the kids going swimming and surfing with the school.
And they are looking forward to having no more winter as well.
Some schools seem to have good websites as well.
Our girls are 6, 4 and 1, I am sure yours will come around too, and she'll probably end up settling down better than you!!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:54 pm
Shopaholic

bradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to all

Originally Posted by priscilia
Somehow we have managed to get our kids so excited about going that they give out to me because it's not coming quick enough.
We have shown them every program we can find about australia, also have been on the net, found some great pictures of what they'll be able to experience once over there, like this sanctuary: http://www.currumbin-sanctuary.org.au/, or the australia zoo: http://www.australiazoo.com.au/australia_zoo/. They really loved that one, saying that's the man from the telly!!
They have seen the programs a new life down under, and we've shown the kids going swimming and surfing with the school.
Some schools seem to have good websites as well.
Our girls are 6, 4 and 1, I am sure yours will come around too, and she'll probably end up settling down better than you!!
Thanks for these...I'll show them to her later.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

priscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to allpriscilia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bradders
You can even sign her up for the newsletter of the australia zoo
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:01 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

My son was a little apprehensive at first, but we've been actively working on emigrating (TRA, Visa App, etc.) for the past 8 months, so over time he has come to accept that this is just the way it is. We have never forced our opinions on him or said "we're going, so get used to it", but have let him know in more subtle ways that this is really a decision to be made by the grown ups in his life. He now seems to like the idea of going. And we didn't even have to bribe him with a dog!!!

I know it's hard at first when they seem so upset, but given time she should come around. Just talk openly about going and how much better life will be for you all.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:03 pm
Shopaholic

bradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to allbradders is a name known to all

You can even sign her up for the newsletter of the australia zoo
Thanks, just subscribed!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody have any helpful hints? Although we're in the early stages of
planning our emigration, we have talked about this openly with our 7 year old daughter, and she becomes distraught at the thought of leaving.

She's terrified of starting a new school over there, and just cries her eyes out whenever we talk about it.

Any help, much appreciated!
As others have suggested I would take it one step at a time. Let her know you're applying to go but that it may take a while. Tell her that family will visit and that she can visit them. We moved here a year ago with a 3 and 6 year old and they both LOVE it!! My daughter is now 7 and is so much more content, happier, more confident than she was before we came. She loves her school, has made loads of friends and is starting to sound like a little Aussie!

It's heartbreaking as a parent when your child is not happy but kids are very adaptable and as you say, better to move when they're younger if you can. There is so much to do here - she does before/after school activities and we're always off out to the zoo, parks, beach (in summer!!) etc. Although its now winter in Melbourne and quite cold in the mornings most days have been blue skies and sunny and very pleasant in the sun. Where we live there are small play parks around nearly every corner. Both my kids are very happy here and we have no intention of moving back in the near future - in fact we're just about to sell our house back home so we can buy here!

Good luck!

Ruth
Old Jun 1st 2006, 11:15 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

www.dreamworld.com.au
Old Jun 1st 2006, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Liamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really niceLiamruscoe is just really nice

Originally Posted by Margaret2
It breaks mine where my teen is concerned
Im only 18 and going on my own, booked my 1 way ticket and everything the other day.

Got the PR from my parents who got it a while back for us all and never really took the oppertunity. Got 2 years left on it so im gonna give it a go while I have no attachments.

Got loads of family who have move out there, they all took kids, some take longer than others but they will fit in, kids adapt much better than adults.

I bet in 2 years if you want to go back to the UK they would be kicking up the same fuss about leaving!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 11:39 pm
Coventry to Caloundra....

joeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond reputejoeyballantyne has a reputation beyond repute

Does anybody have any helpful hints? Although we're in the early stages of
planning our emigration, we have talked about this openly with our 7 year old daughter, and she becomes distraught at the thought of leaving.

She's terrified of starting a new school over there, and just cries her eyes out whenever we talk about it.

Any help, much appreciated!
pictures pictures pictures did it for us - so ours was so excited by the thought of planes trains and aussie life/beaches/parks/schools/pools, that we didnt really have to do anything. also he writes and designs his own letters to scan and send to friends and family back home or we put together a powerpoint with pics so he can tell his story so far. pics (and technology) are great. once he starte school he's not looked back and apart from the odd wail, usually as a way of not going to bed early, he is having the most fantastic time of his wee life.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 11:47 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

We emigrated with our 6 year old daughter two months ago - I've just PM'd you!

Take care

Rach xxxx
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 12:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Ha....we did that, said she could have a dog!!

I've told her about the big house with a pool, and being close to beautiful beaches etc!

Doesn't seem to work though!
Your children probably arent worrying about their bedroom size, or a big house, kids are more perceptive than adults and more honest. Its probably people, family and friends, the things that matter they are worrying about.

Explaining how they can keep in touch could help and dont promise trips back etc, unless you really can afford them, costly stuff here.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 5:13 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say (again) - the kid is 7 ffs. A 7 year old hardly has the life experience to make the decision on what to do and where to go. You make the decisions - the kid goes - simple. It will adapt when it gets here and will make new friends etc. Stop being so 'touchy feely' and get on with it - the kid will live, believe me!
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 5:46 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Priscilia, you seem to be a tad misinformed... There IS winter and I'm in it here, just ... and given that there's no central heating, it's cold.... I've seen frost in Sydney, snow in the mountains and damned icy winds on the plains before... If you're headed to the GC, there's still winter, but not as bad as here. You will feel it though. Sometimes it even rains all day! For a whole day! (in the UK it would be for a week! )
Winter lasts about 3 months here ... which I can handle I think, given the 8 monther we had in the UK last time.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 5:48 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 232Bar
I have to say (again) - the kid is 7 ffs. A 7 year old hardly has the life experience to make the decision on what to do and where to go. You make the decisions - the kid goes - simple. It will adapt when it gets here and will make new friends etc. Stop being so 'touchy feely' and get on with it - the kid will live, believe me!

ROFL... tell it how it is 232 why don't you? You're right, but it doesn't stop parents feeling concerned.

I've come out with a 3, 6 and 9yr old ... and they love it. You'll be fine. She'll be fine.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
I have 2 boys 14 and 8. The 14 year old can't wait but the youngest isn't so sure. I'm doing the same as someone else suggested, bigger bedroom, bigger house and garden etc. also keep explaining when they go to the 'big school' they lose touch with friends anyway. He's really upset about leaving his best friend I've also resorted to a spot of blackmail.....a dog It's easy us telling them they will soon settle in ( probably quicker than us adults ) at that age they just don't want to listen.
we have two boys, 11 and 7.5, from the start the eldest has moaned about going mainly due to the fact that he's leaving some very good friends behind, but i also said about once he starts secondary school he would have to make new mates as they are all off to new schools anyway.

the youngest, was very excited at first, then he went through a phase of not wanting to go, because of friends. Now it's getting nearer they are both really excited and looking forward to their new lives.

we have also used the dog tactic, but it may be a difficult at first if we rent.

good luck i'm sure that things will get easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.