Reload this Page >

Moving to Perth........ HELP

Moving to Perth........ HELP

Old Nov 9th 2009, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

toffee68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Perth........ HELP

Hi All

Looks like we may be moving to Perth in the early part of 2010. We are a family with 4 kids (8, 6, & 2 girls and a 5 month old boy). We have been looking all over the web and the forums and our heads are now completely pickled!!

Anyone have any advice on areas to live which would be good for a Brit family which good schooling in mind. I'll be working in the centre of Perth so somewhere with decent public transport links would be good.

Have also heard that food and bills are pretty much the same if not more than the UK... is this so?

We are looking to rent for a year or so first and then maybe buy a house but who knows that far ahead... Are there any stealth taxes or anything out of the ordinary that we need to include in calculations? Just trying to work out monthly outgoings etc and its proving a hard task...

Looks like cars are expensive over there.. Is there a decent leasing market? We lease a volvo xc90 here and would be looking for something similar (enough seats for the kids) so any advice on that would be great too...

Thanks in advance for any comments, advice, etc that you can give!

Cheers

Robbie
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Perth........ HELP

Hi Robbie & welcome!

I can't help on Perth questions but with regard to bills, some are more expensive, some are less. Food shopping is not really cheap but you can make it cheaper by shopping around & using the markets.Overall, we probably spend a similar amount as we did in the UK. Just be warned, cereal & bread are pricey!
If you rent, generally you only have elec/gas & phone to pay as water & rates are usually included.

I am sure that you will get some of the Perth people on later to help with areas to live!
Good luck
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Hi Robbie and welcome to BE,

There seems to be two trains of thoughts when it comes to locations for expats coming over. You have the suburban areas which are a little way out of the City. To the north is Joondalup and it's surrounding areas, and to the south you have Mandurah/Secret Harbour. This is the area that it seems most Brit expats head for.

These areas are fairly new-build, with larger plots for your money but tend (in my opinion of course) to be a little bland. You're also a fair trek from the City if commuting, particularly by car as you'll be stuck in the rush-hour traffic. There also doesn't 'seem' to be much to do apart from the usual beach etc.

You then have the areas closer to town such as Inglewood, Maylands, Yokine, Leederville, Wembley (all north of the river).

You certainly don't get as much for your money, but it's a very easy drive to the City, public transport links are much better and there's more of a 'vibe' with excellent restaurants/bars/cafe strips etc. Just seems to have a bit more personality.

Having said that, if you have a family of 4 kids then maybe the outer suburbs would suit you better.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

If your looking to buy in 12 months I would rent in the area which relates to how much you are likely to spend on a house in 12 months.
You would feel pretty bad renting in an area, falling in love with it and then not being able to afford to buy there.
There are differant suburbs for everyone in Perth. Just depends what $s you want to spend and then people can advise on the area for you.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

jillandsi will become famous soon enough

I would agree with the last poster, we researched schools and suburb prices as the two main focuses.
We looked at the differences between private and state as it isn't important to live within the catchment zone of the private schools as opposed to the good state schools.
We then looked at the year 12 results to determine the, so-called, 'better' schools, researched them as well as the suburbs that we would need to live in for them.
The determining factor was a good quality school in a suburb that we would like to live in, and could afford to rent and later buy in.
Personally we ended up in Carine, great quality schools, prices affordable(ish), close to beaches, city etc, lots of older houses on larger plots with lots of trees for shade and close to lots of activities.

I find that I spend more or less the same on food, I was Tesco and M&S and don't really buy ready meals though. Some people have said it's dearer so it can be relative. I think on the Coles and possibly Woolworths websites you can type in your shopping list and get a total for it, so that would give you an idea for your family.

Buying a property, I think the only cost is stamp duty. I'm not sure how much it is but on sites like realestate.com.au they have calculators that can work it our for you to give you an idea. You will also get $7,000 first home buyers grant.

Don't know about leasing cars, there's a guy on aussiemove.com called Robshire who is in the car business and he may know.

I'll post in the next few days with examples of our bills for you, we're a family of 4 in a double storey house.

Hope this helps, I remember being at that stage.

Jillian