Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How much would you haggle off a used car

How much would you haggle off a used car

Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future
Default How much would you haggle off a used car

I have seen a car I like at Norris Group for $11,000 but wondered what is the amount you would try to get off the price of the car? I thought about starting at $7,000 but thought this might be too cheeky!

Not used to all this haggling stuff.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much would you haggle off a used car

Originally Posted by cybie
I have seen a car I like at Norris Group for $11,000 but wondered what is the amount you would try to get off the price of the car? I thought about starting at $7,000 but thought this might be too cheeky!

I'd try 20%
Old Mar 26th 2009, 10:18 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

well think about it like this. we are at the end of the month and end of a quarter, therefore Sales people are going to be desperate to do their numbers, which in this economic climate is unlikely they have achieved those.
I would go in on Monday, after the weekend (Sat being their number one sales day), meaning they are two days from the end of quarter and ask them how much they will go down to for a deal before end of month. If you think you are getting a good deal at $7k put that on the table and see if they flinch.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 11:41 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

The best time to deal is in June as they reduce the marked price so that they can clear stock before tax time.
Don't take their first offer, counter it and name your offer, say about $2000 under. If they say that they can't accept or need to get approval for management, walk away but leave them the opportunity to contact you. My guess, and experience is that you can talk them down by threatening to walk away from the negotiating table.

Our car was marked down from $21 250 to $18 900 on the lot. I talked them down by offering no more than $17 000 using this tactic and dealing in mid June.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

check the price on this link and use the lowest price and get used to haggling

http://www.redbook.com.au/
Old Mar 28th 2009, 2:51 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Some useful tips and links here, thanks guys.