Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How much to spend on a car

Wikiposts

How much to spend on a car

Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:05 pm
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How much to spend on a car

Originally Posted by Gethy
Hey Guys,

Just wondered what most people spent on a car as a % of their total money they took from the UK?

We are hopefully taking 100K (AU) and spending around 15-20K on a car but then we start to wonder if we are spending too much then we sway back thinking we would like a nice car that’s reasonably new and (hopefully) reliable.

Cheers
Hello Gethy,

Background: As a previous self-confessed boy racer and car modifier (don't ask, I had too much disposible income and too little self-esteem) I have stopped spending big money on cars and now concentrate on reliability and safety (having a two year old to cart around the place).

If we needed to buy a car to unfortunately replace our faultless 7 year old Nissan Pulsar (gutless and reliable ... perfect for me) then we wouldn't spend more than $8000 and start at $5000 ... looking around I would imagine we could get something that would do a couple of hours commuting a day plus days trips pretty reliably.

Of course, other people may be lucky and get a pearl that cost next to nothing but that is the range I'd consider, personally ... your, er, mileage, may differ.

Cheers,
Matt
Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:17 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
how does that work then? do all employers offer this?
Most employers I guess but not all.

Your employer pays the lease payments and deducts the cost from your "Gross Pay" you then pay tax on the remaining income.

Example $1000 per month in lease payments ie $12,000 is paid by employer to lease company. Your Gross income is $100,000 less the $12,000 means you pay tax on the remaining $88,000.

The reason not all employers offer it is because they incur the 49%?? FBT tax.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gethy
Hey Guys,

Just wondered what most people spent on a car as a % of their total money they took from the UK?

We are hopefully taking 100K (AU) and spending around 15-20K on a car but then we start to wonder if we are spending too much then we sway back thinking we would like a nice car that’s reasonably new and (hopefully) reliable.

Cheers
$18,000 on a Holden (Vauxhall) Commodore station wagon. Abt 5 y-old but only 35,000kms on clock with a 3 year warranty but you have to use their garage for services. Next ones a double cab ute