Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how much do u need per annum

Wikiposts

how much do u need per annum

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice
Default Re: how much do u need per annum

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But it seems Perth has now caught up and surpassed Brisbane !

What does the future hold ? Will Brisbane take off again, or will Perth drop ? or will Perth stay ahead ?
I would predict that this is the worse time to buy a house in Perth because, other than Darwin, it is the only market that isn't flat in Australia. Because elsewhere is flat, Perth has attracted a lot of attention. In a year, Perth will be flat, if not going backwards, and Darwin will be flat in six months.

I just sold my house today in Darwin for 130,000 more than I paid 18 months ago (ridiculous--I'm embarrassed people are willing to pay that) but if I waited to sell even a few months, I would have missed the market peak. This is a very silly market driven by people who are terrified of the stock market and with a tax system based around investment properties.

But to get back to the original question: because of house prices and the premium you pay for food etc to live in Perth, I think 70,000 will be a decent wage but certainly there won't be a lot left over for extras. I would struggle on that here in Darwin and the cost of living is about the same. The worse thing would be the huge amount needed to service a mortgage and the knowledge that I would be paying this mortgage for years and years. A depressing thought.